IGNORED

Orders for Sys-Check II (PCB w/ parts only) accepted

tf_hh

Finished the first of the two Sys-Check kits I ordered and tried it on a couple of machines I had. Now I need to order some more parts :)

An 800XL I tested had a faulty memory chip, and the 130XE I tried had several faulty memory chips. That leaves the question:

Does Sys-Check check both memory banks, or just one (the first 64k)?

In any case, thanks for a fine quality product!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

An 800XL I tested had a faulty memory chip, and the 130XE I tried had several faulty memory chips. That leaves the question:

Does Sys-Check check both memory banks, or just one (the first 64k)?

Thanks for feedback. Actually Sys-Check V1.3 only tests the main memory (64 KByte). In the future I will support also testing the extended memory.

To test to expanded memory in the 130 XE there´s an easy way: Just cross the both 33 Ohm resistors above the 16 pin "EMMU" (CO25953) IC. Crossing them exchanges main bank with extended bank. Sys-Check then also detects bad memory.

Juergen

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for feedback. As I noticed in the technical manual, it´s not recommanded to use Sys-Check together with an U1MB. The reason is the kind of low-level access both expansion do to the whole system. It MUST cause problems. On the other way, there´s no need to use Sys-Check on an U1MB equipped Atari XL/XE really... ;)

So it´s always better to use Sys-Check on systems without U1MB. When you want to do diagnostics on a dead computer with U1MB, it´s the best way to deactivate U1MB first. Detach the both ribbon cables, just plug in old MMU and OS-ROM and system should start, if the U1MB is the source of trouble. Otherwise THEN Sys-Check may be attached to search for bad RAM and so on.

Quoting myself is kind of funny, but who cares :grin:

Good news: Hias has had a quite good idea, I´ve check this out and it works perfect. Coming up firmware for ALL Sys-Check versions would work together with the U1MB without any changes to the hardware.

Because I have so much projects in parallel it would take some time to finish the new firmware. Please be patient with me...

• Like 2

Hi,

it´s possible to make a new batch for the Sys-Check V2.1 DIY kit, when I have 10 or more orders, but...

... there´s also a new version out. I didn´t publish it until now, because I would have new firmware features ready before I offer it. But working on the BitWriter and SDX Re-Image project (and serving the ABBUC computer services, too!) take all my spare time the last months, so I have to prioritize. On the other hand, the newer V2.2 has already nice new hardware features.

The V2.2 has all features from the V2.1 version, the same flash chip and so on. It also works on all XL and XE machines except 1200 XL, XEGS and some XE without ECI (because this machines hasn´t a parallelbus interface or similar interface). So in fact it´s the same set of functions like with the V2.1 D.I.Y. kit.

New features are:

1. A cartridge port for using cartridges stacked on Sys-Check´s PCB (only applicable when using Sys-Check on a XE machine, of course)
  2. An external 512 KByte memory expansion using the "rambo" standard

The feature "external OS switcher" and "external memory expansion" can be used together. So when plugging Sys-Check V2.2 to a stock XL/XE, you have newer operating systems (or an "OLD-OS"!) and/or an external memory expansion. Two of the most needed things for playing newer games or watching demos which require more memory.

Because more features (i.e. more chips) and the cartridge connector (plus needed space around) were added, the Sys-Check V2.2 is partly equipped with SMD chips. So I decide to offer it only as "ready-to-use" device, no soldering is needed. Because I can´t know if the buyer of a D.I.Y. kit with SMD parts is really qualified in soldering these small parts and want me to prevent from complaints, I decide not to offer a D.I.Y. version of V2.2. Last reason is, that a D.I.Y. kit with SMD parts could not fully tested before delivery. And my primary goal when doing projects is to delivery fully tested hardware - always.

This is the actual V2.2 version:

post-15670-0-31997900-1457511945_thumb.jpg

So if there´s any demand, I can offer two ways:

- Making a new batch of D.I.Y. kits (Sys-Check V2.1) for 25 euros each

- Offer the ready-to-use Version Sys-Check V2.2 for 45 euros each

Jurgen

• Like 3

can we see the flipside of the new board, does it allow a mio to hang off what I hope is a pbi cable header?

and lastly does the memory upgrade allow separate antic access?

Exiting to see this!

I believe the other side has a card edge connector(the unused center row of holes should allow a header to be used instead) for connecting to an XL computers' PBI.

I don't know whether the header could be used to connect through to a PBI device from an XE.

• Like 1

can we see the flipside of the new board, does it allow a mio to hang off what I hope is a pbi cable header?

and lastly does the memory upgrade allow separate antic access?

Exiting to see this!

I haven´t any PCBs left (also my personal use one is away :P - new PCBs are ordered and on their way to me), so I can´t make a photo from the solder-side. Will make it, when new PCBs arrived and one is assembled. I don´t know really was a "MIO" is, but it sounds like a device connected to the PBI.

Ok, Sys-Check is something, but not a XE (ECI) to XL (PBI) adapter - but under some circumstances it should work. Main problem is the difference in signals on these both busses. The PBI buss has, for example, RAS and CAS signals - some expansions use them, even if they haven´t DRAM onboard. Also the RDY signal from the CPU was connected to the PBI, but not to ECI from the XE series. These signals are left open (floating) on Sys-Check´s PCB to prevent any side-effects when using on real XL machine. Maybe this MIO wil work on a XE using Sys-Check as "adapter"... but I can´t test it, I didn´t own a MIO.

And for your 2nd question, it´s the same issue... for enabling a memory expansion to use seperate ANTIC/CPU mode the logic needs access to the HALT signal from CPU (and ANTIC). The XE machines have this signal at the ECI attached, but the PBI from XL series not. When I realize the memory expansion, my first thought was to use one of the unused pins from PBI for HALT - the user has to make a wire in the computer from HALT (CPU pin 35) to that unused pin. But I know, a lot of other PBI expansions make this also, so I can´t be sure, that "mine" unused pin is really unused. This could make Sys-Check prevent from working, and I want to have a solution for all users with every skill. So I didn´t add this. In my opinion, the seperate ANTIC/CPU access is only used by a very very few demos and no game (I didn´t hear ever about a game which require this mode).

Jurgen

Hi,

ok, it seems that all want the new V2.2 version :)

I´ve already ordered some PCBs and parts for a next batch. To save shipping costs, I suggest to serve first the people, which have also ordered a BitWriter Replica 1050 - so, if somebody want a Sys-Check V2.2 also, I can put all together in one parcel.

I hope, that´s fine for everybody.

More details later...

Jurgen

• Like 3

This is why I voted 10 points for this device in that Abbuc Hardware contest.

It's a big success ... everybody needs, and wants this device.

And... although it was in contest 2014, now in 2016 people are still talking about it.

That was a nice contest with great devices. Sio2BT had also a very nice result; and the MegaSpeedy, although I did not buy that one.

Yeah... it's great stuff!