IGNORED

The agony of defeat, or something that feels a lot like it.

fujidude

I used to have this problem with Mac/65 quite often and relearned myself to NEVER assemble from the command line. Instead I LIST and break that as the first lines approach the top of the screen, then I arrow down to go over the top to line 10 which is always SAVE #D:FILENAME.M65. I arrow over enough to delete out the number and arrow a couple times back and then type over it ASM,, and then arrow to the end and delete the extension entirely and only then press return. I wind up never typing the name itself and the rote method saves me from having to think about what I'm doing which is where the problem must be coming from. My thinker is in a different rut than the one it needs to be in if using the command line entirely to assemble with. It may require extra resources that I have already spent on the code itself and I'm not really up to the task at hand at that precise moment.

When I was young and sharp, I was too careful to let any such thing happen. I would get annoyed at any software that asked "are you sure?" and mutter "if I weren't sure I wouldn't have typed it, you #$%&!

Now I'm old and forgetful, so I'm glad for the second chance. And even that doesn't always save me from a bonehead move.

This reminds me of a joke I once played on my boss. I wrote a BASIC program that simulated the PC-DOS command screen, except that, whatever you typed, it would display FORMAT C: and then WARNING ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. PROCEED (Y/N)? When you pressed any key it would show FORMATTING... and read some disk file to make the light blink. While he was at lunch I ran the program on his PC and waited. When he got back I quietly called in my cohort to watch the fun. My boss started typing and mumbled "what the..." Of course he typed N to no avail and then jumped out of his seat and yelled NO!!! My cohort and I were laughing by then when he reached for the power switch and shut it off in mid-access. My laughter stopped and my eyes grew wide. Oh-oh. I hoped that didn't trash the disk! He was pretty sore all day but no harm done in the end.

• Like 1

That's funny: I did the exact same thing to Mr Bell, my Computer Studies teacher at school. I was sitting next to my friend and Mr Bell just happened to sidle past us when I ran the program. I'm sure "Formatting hard disk..." caused him a split-second of disquiet before he realized what was happening: "What's going on here?" he asked, leaning over us. I knew it was a sore point with him, because the 10MB (IIRC) Winchester Hard Disk kept crashing every other week, leaving Mr Bell with a permanently careworn disposition.

This reminds me of a joke I once played on my boss. I wrote a BASIC program that simulated the PC-DOS command screen, except that, whatever you typed, it would display FORMAT C: and then WARNING ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. PROCEED (Y/N)? When you pressed any key it would show FORMATTING... and read some disk file to make the light blink. While he was at lunch I ran the program on his PC and waited. When he got back I quietly called in my cohort to watch the fun. My boss started typing and mumbled "what the..." Of course he typed N to no avail and then jumped out of his seat and yelled NO!!! My cohort and I were laughing by then when he reached for the power switch and shut it off in mid-access. My laughter stopped and my eyes grew wide. Oh-oh. I hoped that didn't trash the disk! He was pretty sore all day but no harm done in the end.

OMG!!! As your "cohort", I remember this! We snickered over this for days... :twisted:

Edited by Knimrod
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It just dawned on me that I never posted an update. I did re-do my coding. I have a program that basically works fine (with mild quirk or two). So great, I can feel good about that. But... then I found out that the functionality that my program offers has already been added to the newer versions of the stock SpartaDOS software. Oh well. It was kind of fun reaquainting with the Atari8, SpartaDOS, and Action! anyway.

Not on Atari, but many years ago I was writing a kind of Zanac game, I decided to make a backup, so I took out a disk, put a label, and issued FORMAT command.

Wonder my surprise when I extracted the disk and it was MY GAME, the other new disk was still on the table...

It took me years to rebuild it and never came up the same unfortunately.

Not on Atari, but many years ago I was writing a kind of Zanac game, I decided to make a backup, so I took out a disk, put a label, and issued FORMAT command.

Wonder my surprise when I extracted the disk and it was MY GAME, the other new disk was still on the table...

It took me years to rebuild it and never came up the same unfortunately.

That's a hard one. At least my loss was not complete. I still had an albeit quite old version of the software that I was able to scavange some.

• Like 1