IGNORED

Playing around with pokey and channel timing

emkay

:?: What do you mean by this? What do you need "volume control" for?

In normal circumstances the high notes yell, compared to the low notes. Using the timing of the filter channels to cut the "energy" of the wave ... known as cancelling ... in a controlled way, gives that "analog" variation of volume , to reduce the yelling of the high sounds.

Remember, it's one POKEY at 50Hz VBI speed.

The PoKey mathematics is easy. Reading and editing the RMT exe file is easy, when using a simple hex editor. Isn't it a nice and interesting idea for you to compute and write a new RMT Patch?

It wouldn't work that way. As RMT is wrong from the base.

You'd need

1. A full working Sound Tracker, with independent music fx commands in the patterns (as usual for a Tracker)

2. A synthesizer part to edit POKEY's features and to implement them as instruments

3. On the PC the properly working emulation has to be created...

After that, one could do the needed database for recreating POKEY's sounds...

Edited by emkay

RMT supports not all PoKey features, but it is not just WRONG.

The best feature of RMT is still the MOD Import. And then you can play around, using all those stereo out of tune stuff with that helpless filter voice, you get in some demos today.

You cannot even use 16 bit when RMT is in stereo mode, except you create an instrument for every different note you want to play.

For simple arpeggios you have to create extra instruments. Combine that with different filter settings , portamento speeds, vibratos...

Special filter settings: for a 3 octaves tune .... more than 20.

3 different arpeggios there ... 3*20

2 Portamento speeds and portamento start 3*3*20 ....

180 Instruments and still not all combinations ... for a small melodic part. Still different Clockings, different generators.... not in use

!!!!!_Arpeggio, vibrato, portamento.... and so on, has to be placed as commands and values in the patterns, not in the instruments_!!!!!

RMT reminds me a lot of a sling. You can pull it until the straps do not get longer. If you put a stone in it, and let it go the other way, the stone flies a multiple length of the straps ;)

Hope you understand...

I really love the capabilities of PoKey. What I have been waiting to hear for a long time is for someone to find out how to produce the sound of David Gilmour's guitar solo on Comfortably Numb. If there were to be enough 6502 cycles left, some nice Floyd graphics would make an awesome demo :)

I really love the capabilities of PoKey. What I have been waiting to hear for a long time is for someone to find out how to produce the sound of David Gilmour's guitar solo on Comfortably Numb. If there were to be enough 6502 cycles left, some nice Floyd graphics would make an awesome demo :)

Things would get easy. If you know the notes and the time of the notes, you put them into the tracker. Then listen to the portamentos and vibrato styles, write them into the patterns... so you get the right melodic part. Every musician could do that. RMT struggles already to set the clean notes....

Using 16 bit 2 channels, you could add many songs directly. Then you could add additional POKEY features by using a synth tool, to adjust the wanted sounding style and replace that. And, well, 50Hz or 60Hz is not enough for such fast played notes.

The usage of programmed pokey styles doesn't take much CPU time.

at the End, and with a real working Tracker, a Tune would take less CPU cycles than a Stereo tune played by the RMT player.

You could add a Floyd Game while the tune is played.

On the other hand. It is a clear thing: People don't want that. I remember , talking with other "Atarians", back in those days, about POKEY and that they really would like to have those "morphing" sounds as played with SID.

What's left over today seem to be people who like that steer and flat off tune sound from POKEY, they just like it stereo. I remember some games with a nice sweeping music in the demo, and the final game got again a flat sounding tune...

So, no support is to expect.... no tracker for such music will be there...

Edited by emkay

[...] Isn't it a nice and interesting idea for you to compute and write a new RMT Patch?

I have a new idea, and I have some time: another RMT patch

• Main PoKey frequency to have a pure bass: 15 kHz

• Patch poly4 at 1.79 MHz instead of "freqtabbass1"

• Patch poly5 at 1.79 MHz instead of "freqtabbass2"

• Patch some enhanced 16-bit feature instead of "freqtabbasslo" & "freqtabbasshi"

For 16-bit feature I again think about 'distortion guitar' or 'clarinet'. And I'm thinking about a 4-voice PoKey version of King Crimson: "Larks' Tongues in Aspic part 2 / part 4".

Other idea's / PoKey possibilities?

Edited by analmux

Something like this could be an interesting source for conversions. The original comes from Amiga, where the soundstyle comes nearer to the pokey style , and the tunes were optimised for 3 channels.

Those tunes were also a better start for pokey soundstyle experiments.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, I've been trying to do that on an actual guitar for years. Gilmour's my hero, the person I would like most to sound like. He's not fast, he doesn't shred really, he's not playing any kind of wierdo scales or anyhting...it's him and his beautiful expressive timing, bends, and note selection.

• Like 2