IGNORED

Fishing game on the ColecoVision?

Pixelboy

I'm in a silly mood tonight, so while I was trying to find an original topic for a new forum thread, my thoughts came across a type of game that hasn't really been done on the ColecoVision, at least not yet: A fishing game!

So my question to you is: What type of fishing game would you most enjoy on the ColecoVision? Something like Fishing Derby on the Atari 2600? Or maybe something like Black Bass or The Blue Marlin on the NES? Would you prefer something simple or something with lots of intricate gameplay details?

Personally, like many people, I'm not into the whole fishing game genre (like I said, I'm just in a silly mood tonight, hence the from-left-field topic) but one type of fishing game that would probably grab my attention would be a totally unrealistic and funny Pokémon-type game, where the emphasis would be on collecting different species of fish rather than proving your general skills at fishing. You'd have different ways of catching fish, from using standard rods and gear (perhaps even scuba diving) to more funky methods like training captured fish to hunt other fish for you, or even just using dynamite to blow fish out of the water! Or you could just try to perform trades with other fishermen. Fish would be collected in two categories, namely dead (sell it as food at the fish market or sell rarer fish species to a local taxidermist) or alive (trade or sell fish as collector items for big money).

Please, discuss. :)

• Like 2

Kobashi was released by CollectorVision. Please, no more fishy games! Well, maybe Mr. Turtle can eat fish for power-ups. Nuff said. :twisted:

How about making a CV version of the 2600 Homebrews Stay Frosty and Stay Frosty 2. Those look like a fun games that can really benefit from the CV's graphics and sound abilities.

• Like 2

Kobashi was released by CollectorVision. Please, no more fishy games! Well, maybe Mr. Turtle can eat fish for power-ups. Nuff said. :twisted:

How about making a CV version of the 2600 Homebrews Stay Frosty and Stay Frosty 2. Those look like a fun games that can really benefit from the CV's graphics and sound abilities.

How about the homebrew Toyshop Trouble as well?

• Like 2

I think a game like black bass or blue marlin would suffer too much graphically on the CV. I say skip the fishing games.

NIAD had a great idea with Stay Frosty 2 which was a 2600 homebrew. What would be awesome is if someone ported it to the CV and let Al sell it in his store.

fish.. powerups... got it. Was already in the plan but good to here it seconded without coercion.

• Like 1

I'm in.. I think a fishing game would be pretty cool! :)

A game like The Black Bass (one of my favorites as a kid) would be sweet on the ColecoVision but Yurkie made a good point about the graphic limitations on CV vs NES.

However, a game like Fishing Derby would totally be doable and could be vastly improved upon from the VCS version all around. ;)

I normally am not a fan of fishing games but I always got a kick out of the fishing mini games in Link's Awakening.

http://zeldawiki.org/Fishing

The graphic style of Awakening fits right in with the Coleco. Add a bunch of ponds and a lite RPG element in order to progress from pond to pond, even to deep sea fishing. I wonder if ZX Basic is up to the task.