IGNORED

Stay Frosty 2 is awesome!

jongolo

There's a few options for 10

1) throw a snowball at the birds to temporarily freeze them

2) use the bird's attraction to the carrot to your advantage. On the left side of the "tree" shape, jump straight up (so you're not jump up to the platform but falling back down to the lowest level) so the lower bird reacts. If you make it so the two birds are flying left and right in formation, with the lower bird slightly ahead of the upper bird, it's much easier to get past them.

3) you don't actually need the carrot to finish level 10.

#1 was the only way I got past it. Someone sent me a message about #2. And I had not considered #3. Cool.

As for myself, technique #3 is the ONLY way I have cleared level 10.

Made it to level 31 tonight. This was after being stuck on level 29 for waaaaay too long. Although some of the levels are more fun than others, 29 is the only one so far where I went, "Oh come on, this is over-the-top cruelty." Way too difficult to for me to consider as "fun".

So, how's about that level-practice code so I can improve my skills on that level?

• Like 1

OMG this game is awesome. BUT BRUTAL. I spent 90 minutes with it and couldn't get past Level 9. The difficulty level is set just WAY too high! It's gorgeous, but I do wish the "continue" feature was ongoing, and not just good for two more games. Because that first screen is still stupidly frustrating, and I never want to see it again.

Made it to level 31 tonight. This was after being stuck on level 29 for waaaaay too long. Although some of the levels are more fun than others, 29 is the only one so far where I went, "Oh come on, this is over-the-top cruelty." Way too difficult to for me to consider as "fun".

Yeah - 29 frustrated me a long time until I got the hang of it. The problem I had was that I kept trying to jump from one platform to the next, then immediately to the next again. I kept missing and dying. What worked for me was instead focusing on just making one jump at a time. Not working about everything else going on, but just where the next platform I was going for was at.

That, and leaving all of the ice chests for as late in the level as possible.

OMG this game is awesome. BUT BRUTAL. I spent 90 minutes with it and couldn't get past Level 9. The difficulty level is set just WAY too high! It's gorgeous, but I do wish the "continue" feature was ongoing, and not just good for two more games. Because that first screen is still stupidly frustrating, and I never want to see it again.

But if you spend just 90 minutes to get to level 9 how would the game be to hard then? If we would have made it easier, people would be able to rush through the game. Which would IMO greatly reduce the replay value.

So you have to invest some hours or even days to master this game. That's how games used to be played before casual gaming became standard. ;)

• Like 3

So, how's about that level-practice code so I can improve my skills on that level?

Eventually someone will find that code. Until then you are one of the very few people who got that far. How does that feel? And isn't it much more satisfying to progress in a game without using shortcuts?

Also, once you have beaten a level a few times, you will memorize and optimize your patterns. So it should become easier.

• Like 1

Did I say Level 9? I meant Level 6!

The problem is that when it gets too difficult, the game stops being FUN. It becomes a chore. Which decreases re-play value. If it was possible to continue indefinitely, it would be better. But after getting sent back to Level 1 too many times, a certain frustrating resignation sets in. Which is disappointing, because I want to see all the different levels, but .... I also want to have fun playing a video game, and not have it feel like a slog.

Unlimited continues would not solve the problem. Because the earlier levels are designed so that you can practice and learn much more effectively. If we would throw e.g. level 32 to an absolute beginner, he would not be able to solve it even in 1000 tries. With unlimited continues you would soon get to a level which you cannot beat anymore, just because you did not advance your skills enough in the earlier previous levels. And then you would accuse us of impossible levels. :)

Also, main part of the fun (at least for me) of such games, is mastering a level on my own (without cheating), to find out what is coming next and the feeling that I fully deserved getting there. If a game would be designed unfair, meaning that a level is not beatable at all or with just a lot of luck, then you would be right to denounce that game. But SF2 has been play tested extensively to make sure all level are beatable. Imagine that each of the 32 levels is getting even harder and harder in the later runs and still can be beaten. So there is quite a lot of room for error in the 1st loop.

All you need is practice, practice, practice. :)

• Like 1

Did I say Level 9? I meant Level 6!

I have a feeling you didn't read the manual - or if you did, you didn't comprehend something due to the way it was worded.

pipe-icon.png

CORN COB PIPE - Turns your snowman to solid ice so he'll melt more slowly, but only for a short time.

In other words, the Corn Cob Pipe = half damage. You can put out twice as many fireballs, throw twice as many snowballs, etc. when you've collected the pipe. The pipe lasts for a short amount of time, though you can tell when it's active because the snowman will be blue for the duration.

Awesome!

I believe y'all have the power to figure it out if you're left to your own devices.

So far, I've...

-made it to level 30

-found two bonus areas (if you like the x-mas music, you're in for a treat in the second one)

-figured out the level select code (with a help gleaned from previous posters)

There's one more level I am convinced has a "secret", because I've been able to finish it without having to "do" everything. :)

• Like 3

Because that first screen is still stupidly frustrating, and I never want to see it again.

Which controller are you using? My sister has trouble playing it with a normal joystick, but has no problem with a Genesis gamepad.

Edited by SpiceWare

Which controller are you using? My sister has trouble playing it with a normal joystick, but has no problem with a Genesis gamepad.

I'm using a Wico joystick.... I don't have a Genesis controller, but I've got the late-80s Atari joypad.... maybe I should try that....

I'm using a Wico joystick.... I don't have a Genesis controller, but I've got the late-80s Atari joypad.... maybe I should try that....

Don't know if that'll help or not, key thing with the Genesis controller is Throw is moved from Up to button C. I don't believe the Atari joypad is detected as multiple buttons on the 2600.

Since you're having so much trouble on level 1, I wonder if the problem is you haven't picked up on how jump works. If you tap the fire button, you'll jump a short distance. If you hold the button, you'll jump farther.

post-3056-0-65010800-1421191289_thumb.png

For double-jump, after having collected the broom, you need to tap the first press then hold the second press for maximum distance. If you tap tap you won't go as far.

• Like 4

Since you're having so much trouble on level 1, I wonder if the problem is you haven't picked up on how jump works. If you tap the fire button, you'll jump a short distance. If you hold the button, you'll jump farther.

attachicon.gifSF2_20131217_RC8_NTSC.png

For double-jump, after having collected the broom, you need to tap the first press then hold the second press for maximum distance. If you tap tap you won't go as far.

Also - you can change direction mid-jump. This is critical for canceling out your momentum in order to land on short platforms.

If you think Stay Frosty 2 is great, wait until you play Stay Frosty 3: The Meltman Chronicles. You are Meltman and your job is to hunt down all of the sentient snowmen that have invaded the land of Calefacient. Here's an early demo:

stay_frosty_3.bin

Available summer of 2023.

:D

• Like 1

If those jump instructions don't help, perhaps you're experiencing lag like Zoyx was before he changed his display?

A lot of modern TVs cause Display Lag due to the processing required to convert the image to what the TV can display. That processing takes time and can cause problems when playing games that require precise timing. TVs often have a Game Mode setting which will reduce the lag.