IGNORED

How do you get around the drones in stun runner?

sirlynxalot

The armored drones never gave me a problem in the arcade version, it didn't seem like such an obstacle to get around them.

On the lynx version, I find myself crashing into them everytime I try to pass them. They seem to aggressively track how I am turning to try and do a good job of blocking me. Alternatively, when it appears to me that I have passed them on the side without rear-ending them, I somehow still seem to crash into them, bringing me to a stop. This happens literally every time I try to pass a ring of them.

Any particular strategies that might help?

Stun Runner is one of those games that has stumped me forever. I rarely, if ever, get past the third level - yet I have had people who have never played the game in their lives (probably not even seen it in the arcade) pass it with no problem at all.

You can pass the first two levels by not hitting the D-pad at all (of course, continuously shooting on level 2). Which brings up another embarrassing point: sometimes I can't even pass level 2. But I digress.

On level 3, if you don't move, you will just barely miss the finish line. I guess the key to level 3 is to move as little as possible, and think like a beginner? I really don't know. Would love some tips from others.

I thought I had read somewhere, that on the lynx version, staying as close as possible to the center of the track at all times (regardless of the turns) gives you the greatest speed.

Even with crashing into virtually every drone, I can probably get to levels 7~9, often just barely sliding across the exit. The other enemies are mostly manageable to shoot away or dodge.

At the risk of stating the obvious, a shockwave is the best way to pass the drones. But of course there's way more drones than shockwaves, so... I usually just dodge way to the side at the last minute to get past them. You could also try to squeeze between them and risk losing a shield, which would probably save you a little time.

As far as general tips, the outside wall really does make a difference. If the tunnel is bending one way, go the other way. The booster pads usually lay in the fastest path. Learn where the warps are. There's always a boost pad just before them that you use to drive on the ceiling, which branches up to reveal the path to the warp ending. Not only is it an easy way to finish the current level, but it will scoot you ahead quite a few levels.

I don't believe shooting slows you down at all, so hammer on the fire button. If you hold the "down" direction on the D-pad while shooting, your shots will angle upward so you can shoot at those obnoxious flying enemies that look like a pair of lips. Try to shoot every enemy before you get to it, but if you can't shoot it in time, avoid it. Crashing will slow you down too much. Learn the location of the boost pads and try to hit each one. A lot of tracks won't be possible if you miss them.

Don't bother starting at the experienced or pro levels when you start your game, unless you're good enough to make it there from the start. There's a significant jump in course difficulty when you start on those tracks. If you can play up to that Outer Drive track from the start, you'll be in a better position once you make it that far compared to where you'd be if you started there. You'll have a better score and maybe a few extra shockwaves.

I don't believe I ever actually beat STUN Runner. I think I got to the final challenge once and failed it, but you always go on after each challenge level regardless of whether you actually completed it. You get a special ending screen with some chickie-poo joining you in your car anytime you get a Game Over within 5-6 levels of the end. I want to say Satan's Slolom is the track that usually gave me a hard time, but then it's been a really long time since I put some time into STUN Runner.

• 1 year later...