IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

7. Doom 2: Hell on Earth - PC

Really awesome game! This was in fact my first time beating Doom 2.. Thus, I have beaten all the official Doom games, except for the Doom 2 Master Levels. (Doom; Doom 2; Final Doom; Doom 2: No rest for the living; Doom 64; Doom 3; Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil; & Doom 3: The Lost Mission.) If I've missed any, please let me know, so I may tackle it too!

You're quite doomed ;)

• Like 1

1. Colossal Cave Adventure (Atari 8-bit)

Beat this at the start of the year with my wife. It holds up well, despite the irritation of a couple areas that are difficult to map but serve no purpose. Of the three things that eluded us, two were things we'd tried and either didn't fully understand or had slightly mistimed, and one was something counterintuitive that we probably would've tried if we could've saved our game (we were playing in a Dreamcast emulator whose save function wasn't working). A.

2. Hydlide (NES)

Beaten for the first time since the early 1990s. Many people hate this game; I kind of like it. It's not Hydlide's fault it was released stateside three years too late, or that it's not (nor does it try to be) Legend of Zelda or Dragon Warrior. I don't claim it's a great game, but it's not nearly as cryptic or unfair as some seem to think. C+.

3. Hatris (NES)

I generally try to beat games on the highest difficulty, so I'm not sure whether to count this, since there's a code you can enter on the title screen to up the gameplay speed. But eh, the ending's no different, so who cares? Not a first-rate puzzle game, but not as bad as its reputation, and significantly better than the Game Boy version. It still lacks elegance, though, with no meaningful combo system. C.

4. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (NES)

I put obscene amounts of time into this in mid-January, and finally beat it about a week ago on Scenario 5, Difficulty 10. Naturally, I played as Liu Bei.

Unfortunately the game is broken in a couple ways that allow me to subvert the intended gameplay. In particular, the game's fire attacks essentially guarantee the CPU will lose almost every battle (I only lost 2-3 out of about 50).

But it's still an absolute classic, and this is actually the third time I've beaten it (about once a decade). I've yet to play another Koei game that's grabbed me so completely (Genghis Khan II might have a shot, though). A.

5. Super Back to the Future II (SNES)

Played the English translation of this tonight and beat it in one setting. This has to be one of the most wildly overhyped games I've ever encountered; people talk about it like it's a hidden gem cruelly denied US gamers, but it's really a mediocre (i.e. typical) licensed platformer with bright colors, music that wears out its welcome fast, flaky controls and hit detection, pervasive slowdown that varies just enough to throw you off, and simplistic boss fights. It's not a terrible game, but it's certainly no lost classic, and manages to be both too easy and thoroughly frustrating. C-.

• Like 1

Icewind Dale II (PC/Mac)

Icewind Dale II makes modest improvements on its predecessor. It's more expansive and detailed, its combat is more robust and challenging, and its writing is more substantial and engaging. Unfortunately, the game's plot is lousy. Story development and narrative pacing are nearly nonexistent. It's remarkable that a game with such linear progression can feel so scattershot. Encounter-to-encounter, Icewind Dale II is a competent D&D simulation, but as soon as you recognize that it isn't going anywhere worthwhile, it becomes all slog and busywork. (7/10)

8. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Reconstruction - PS3

Probably the best "Story Mode" in a fighting game I've played thus far.. As far as the fighting itself goes, I am really enjoying it! This is my first foray into Anime fighters in general. Can't wait to get into some more!

A friend and I beat Castle Crashers earlier this week. Probably not a lot I need to say about this game, as I think it's well known. Really fun side-scrolling hack-and-slash game with cartoony graphics. The replay value is high, and this is another game whose PC version is often on sale for cheap.

6. Top Players' Tennis (NES)

A few nice ideas and customization options can't overcome this game's serious problems. You move like you're on ice, serving is half-broken, and the challenge level in most matches is so low that I was able to play a "golden match" for the first time ever, i.e. winning every point over two sets. Still, the CPU likes to push the player's rage buttons by using "miracle" shots to take away clean winners, or repeatedly hitting the net cord to dribble irretrievable shots over the net.

Worst of all, the objective is to win all four Grand Slams in a calendar year, but you're forced to qualify first, which makes you miss the Australian Open. So the whole first year of gameplay is essentially meaningless -- you play the French, Wimbledon, and US Open for nothing, and have to replay them all.

It's a pity, since the game's implementation of timing-based ball trajectories (using the timing of your swing to aim the ball, rather than holding a direction on the control pad) is probably the best I've seen -- far better than Nintendo's original Tennis and significantly better than Racket Attack. D.

7. Racket Attack (NES)

My opinion is pretty much unchanged since last year, though playing the women's event helps since you play best of three (not five). And it's really TPT that has "cow on ice" syndrome -- this one is more like moving through mud. C-.

8. Jimmy Connors Tennis (NES)

In most respects this is nearly identical to the Game Boy version, which I beat several years ago. However, while the GB version is slow (if not downright stately), this version is almost comically fast, with a pace more akin to badminton or ping-pong than tennis -- and that fast pace doesn't always sit well in a game where you hit the ball by releasing the button.

The nice part of that is that the game moves very quickly, with points coming at a rapid-fire clip: you can play a full 1-set match in only 5-6 minutes. But that doesn't really make up for the screwy gameplay, the one-dimensional challenge (the difficulty setting seems to do nothing), or the total lack of meaningful variety: no customization, no bells and whistles, and you play the same opponent over and over again. D+.

• Like 1

I just beat "The Lost Caves of Kroz" for Intellivision, on Thief (easy) mode. :-D

post-37932-0-79049600-1424249915_thumb.jpg

What a fantastic homebrew! this game kicks so much ass on every level.. thoroughly impressed with it and glad I bought it. No wonder why it got GOTY . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very addicting and challenging.. Lots of replay value.

Next, its time to move up another difficulty level and give it another go .. but for now .. :sleep:

I just beat "The Lost Caves of Kroz" for Intellivision, on Thief (easy) mode. :-D

attachicon.gif20150218_022646_resized.jpg

What a fantastic homebrew! this game kicks so much ass on every level.. thoroughly impressed with it and glad I bought it. No wonder why it got GOTY . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very addicting and challenging.. Lots of replay value.

Next, its time to move up another difficulty level and give it another go .. but for now .. :sleep:

Great job! tough but yet wonderful game. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On the (more or less) retro front I just finished Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA) a short while ago, while I finished Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA) a few weeks ago.

For newer fare, completed Sunset Overdrive (XB1) and Halo 1-3 (XB1) over the last couple of months. Working on Halo 4 right now and also just picked up Sonic Adventure for GCN and started that.

• Like 1

2. Suikoden II - PS1

Not my first time through this game, but it is one of my favorites. I think I last played through it in 2011. I got all the possible characters, choosing Valeria, Feather and Sigfried as my optional character recruits. McDohl was also playable and I got the best ending.

3. Incredible Crisis - PS1

Not my first time through this game either, but it was still pretty funny. I seemed to have an easier time through it than before and didn't even use a rapid fire controller this time. Even though I hadn't played it for a few years.

4. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus - PS1

This was my first time getting through the entire game without using the level skip code in tough sections and I actually managed to save all 300 Mudokons.

5. The Legend of Dragoon - PS1

This was my first time getting through the game without using Gameshark. I had only played through the game once before but had used Gameshark back then. The difference is using Gameshark back then, I got through it in 3 days playing all day. With no cheats I spent 6 weeks or so playing. I grinded until I had 3 Ultimate Wargods (allows a character to successfully perform addition attacks automatically with no need to press buttons), 3 Legend Casques (greatly boosts magic defense) and 3 Armors of Legend (greatly boosts physical defense.) and then just swapped them over to whoever was in my party at any give time. That's a total of an optional 90,000 gold spent on extreme items in a game where the most gold most enemies will drop from a single battle (excluding bosses) is just over 100. Yeah, it's a long grind. Not only that, this is one of the few games where you have to swap previous discs back in to enter some of the earlier towns where these expensive items are sold. Anyway, I even beat all the optional bosses (there are 6 total).

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

9. Final Fantasy X HD - PS3/Vita

Played the first 35 hours or so of this on the PS3 last spring. Picked up my save this past week on Vita, and played for close to 20 more hours & beat the game.. As far as the "HD" bits go, everything is a bit sharper, but I don't notice anything drastically different from the PS2 version. This is the "International version" of the game, so there is a bit of added content, that differs from the OG North American version of the game, but I didn't do any of it. I was SUPER overpowered by the time I headed towards the final boss(es).

This is one of my all time favorite games, and I had no trouble double (PS3 version) and triple dipping (Vita Version).

This month I completed 99,98% of Spawn - In The Demon's Hand (DC) - I unlocked all characters and all art galleries, also beat it with all characters (full comic ending where availalbe) and collected all items except "Sword of Legend" and "Lance of Angela". I searched the internet high and low for hints on obtaining those, but I just couldn't do it. Some info said you have to complete the game with two particular characters (Tiffany + Grace) in two player mode meeting a couple of special conditions during boss mode, but I couldn't verify this due to the lack of a second player with acceptable skills in that game.

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2 & Spawn - In The Demon's Hand

• Like 1

9. Target: Renegade (NES)

From playing through it a decade ago I had it in my head that this was a tricky beat-'em-up, but that's hardly the case: it's short, mostly quite easy, and took me just an hour of gameplay to beat. Otherwise it's basically NES Double Dragon, but without that game's charm and skillful level design. C-.

10. Orb 3-D (NES)

You know when you're playing Arkanoid or Breakout and there's only one brick left? And you know how annoying it is to try to target that one last brick, since you have to hit the ball 3-4 times just to get it back in position? Well, this game is basically 30 levels of that.

Despite a few clever touches, Orb 3-D wears out its welcome fast -- and then it proceeds to pound any remaining goodwill into the dirt by ending with a streak of really obnoxious, finicky levels. To paraphrase Key and Peele, they kept the part that nobody wants. D-.

11. Kileak: The DNA Imperative (PlayStation)

US launch title gets a bad rap as an uninspired FPS; maybe it is one, but the smooth gameplay, quick loading times, and solid framerate kept me engaged throughout, which is rare for this genre. Maybe the narrow corridors and overall simplicity remind me of Dungeons of Daggorath.

That said, after a few attractive tracks, the music in later levels gets extraordinarily lazy; Level 12 is one of the sorriest excuses for a soundtrack I've ever heard. And once you figure out the game's basic winning strategy -- only using energy weapons, and constantly returning to the recharge point -- there's practically no challenge left, and tedium sets in.

Finally, who on earth thought it was a good idea to play the "battery low" message every 5 seconds? It's like getting robocalled by your own UI. C.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Onimusha 2 (PS2)

Something of a re-hash of the first Onimusha that recycles the plot (more or less) and many of the locations from the original game. Onimusha 2 does successfully add some new weapons and enemy types to the formula, but the new friendship and gift-giving system it introduces is poorly implemented, and without a guide, I don't see how anyone could effectively navigate its insanely abstruse trial-and-error mechanics. It's critically important that you do so, however. Otherwise, you'll miss out on many valuable healing items and ammunition stocks, as well as the sub-character side-missions, which makeup about 20% of the game's content. Not to mention missing out on all the special items that are needed to uncover the game's numerous secrets. Onimusha 2 also presents itself as much more of a straight-up action game, in contrast to the atmospheric "survival-horror"-type vibe that I prefer from the first game. The voice acting in the first game wasn't great, but here it's often miserable. At times, some of the characters come dangerously close to slipping into pantomime.

While I found it a bit disappointing in comparison to the original, Onimusha 2 is still a solid game that I enjoyed playing. (7/10)

• Like 1

10. Bioshock 2 - PS3

Excellent game!! Nearly perfect in my eyes.. Was a bit on the short side but I can look past that. In most cases it was more of the same, but added some great new features that fit my play style very well! Namely, the drill dash... Electric/Ice plasmid + Drill Dash = SO OP!!

11. Bioshock Infinite - PS3

This one was definitely a slow burner for me.. the combat wasn't so different.. But there was A LOT more shooting & less melee. Which makes sense, because gone are the close corridors of Rapture, in favorite of the open air of Columbia. Story is incredible.. And the end hit me like a ton of bricks.. Well done Mr. Levine & crew.. The Bioshock games are all 3 now among my all time favorites.

Cannot wait to play the Burial at Sea Episodes!!

12. Thomas was Alone - PS Vita

Excellent indie platformer! Played most of the game with the sound off, so I missed out on the dialogue, but its a relatively short game, and I'll have no problem playing thru it again.

13. LIMBO - PS Vita

Another excellent game! Very dark and pretty sinister. Lots of death traps.. Some of the puzzles are pretty tricky!

• Like 1

6. Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - TG16

I finally got a TurboGrafx-16 system again and actually took the time to play this game, completing it for the first time. Really it is an easy platformer considering you have unlimited continues. All it comes down to after that is trial and error as not to fall into the spike pits which kill you.

15 - Pac-Man Championship edition DX+ - PS3

This was a ton of fun!! Bought it for 90 cents during the PSN flash sale this weekend. Money well spent. Lots of modes & time trials.. I couldn't stop playing... First 100% complete game on my PS3!

P.S.

11 (a). Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea Episodes 1 & 2

Wow. As if the ending of the main game, these DLC chapters take you on another amazing trip. Albeit a short one. Really worth the price if you ask me..

3. Super Dodge Ball (NES)

Not much of a feat here, as the game can be completed in like 20 minutes. One of my all-time favorite NES titles with awesome music, killer sound effects, and great character designs, especially the damage-taking faces. I play through this gem about once every couple of months.

I spent a lot of my parents money renting this game from Blockbuster back in the day. I remember recording my gameplay with cutting-edge VHS technology so that I could watch the videotape after having returning the rental. I mastered the game at a young age from playing it so much. But you know, when you go to record yourself, that is when you fuck up. That was the one time one of my three guys got killed in the finals against Team USSR. And when that happens, you don't get to advance to the secret/bonus round to face Team Shadow (which has one of the best songs, BTW). Needless to say, I was pissed and didn't bother recording any other games, except Ecco The Dolphin. I remember watching my playthrough of the penultimate level The Machine as well as the final boss fight.

Any-who..

I remember finding a used copy of Super Dodge Ball at K-Mart and pretty much shit a brick that day. It didn't come with a box or manual, but it did have an "instructions" sticker on the reverse side. I think it was a rental from another (perhaps local) chain place that K-mart somehow acquired to resell.

Super Dodge Ball is one of the very few Virtual Console titles I bought from the eShop just so I can have it on my 3DS (other titles are Mega Man 3 and the Legend of Zelda).

the best tunes in the game are Versus and Team Shadow, and then there's Kenya and USSR tied for third favorite. Bean Ball kicks ass too.