IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

12. Destiny of an Emperor (NES)

My sentimental attachment to this game makes it tempting to overlook the avoidable but game-breaking bugs, and the overall lack of variety in combat. Because of those issues, I can't claim it's a first-rate RPG -- but it's still a very good one, and the historical setting gives it that extra touch of class. B+.

13. Marsupilami (Genesis)

I've got a Sega-16 review of this puzzle-platformer in the queue, so I'll simply say that, while it's not a terrible game, I'm glad to be done with it.

14. Masked Rider: Kamen Rider ZO (Sega CD)

The Sega-16 site review says just about everything I'd want to say myself, and the rest is in the comments. C+.

• Like 1

I've actually decided to keep track separately, so I'll just copy paste the list. An * indicates that I've beaten the game at some point before 2015.

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Lost Levels (Famicom Disk System)*
Power Strike (SMS)
Blaster Master (NES)
Jaws (NES)*
Zelda's Adventure (CDI)
Link: Faces of Evil (CDI)
NES Remix (Wii U)
Smash Bros for Wii U
Battletoads & Double Dragon (NES)
Power Instinct Matrimelee (Neo Geo)*
Alien Brigade (7800)
Maniac Mansion (NES)*
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 (first time with restored content, PC)
Star Strike (Intellivision)
Super Mario World (all 96 exits! SNES)*
Mega Man X3 (SNES)
Shantae (3DS)
Power Strike II (SMS)

• Like 1

Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies (PS2) - I beat this when it was released over a decade ago, but I'd been wanting to play it again for a few months. Still holds up! Only thing that really stood out on the negative side was the narrator; I don't recall him sounding so bored and muffled.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) - I finished the storyline but haven't touched much of the side content. A nice combination of Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon, but I did find it odd that the FOEs are often harder than the dungeon bosses due to them needing to be afflicted with a status ailment before taking damage (over 1 hit point).

Edited by entryan
  • Like 1

Nice, I just played that one in Santa Monica. I knew things would be different, but I was still taken by surprise at the absence of warps past World 6, no 1UP at 100 coins, etc.

Actually you should get a 1UP at 100 coins. Unless the dipswitch settings were changed in the cabinet you played. You can do the turtle hopping trick in 1 level, and it is 5-2. Hit the koopa paratroopa and stomp him again to go it's shell and when it comes out hopefully left stomp him at the right time and keep stomping it's mainly points you accumulate with only a single 1up each time. There is a repro cart at the retrousb.com website. Got one from them. It has a great challenge.

Actually you should get a 1UP at 100 coins. Unless the dipswitch settings were changed in the cabinet you played.

Yeah, I suspect they were changed. It was that kind of place -- fairly sketchy, and all the coin-ops were 75 cents per play. The Vs. SMB machine wasn't in great shape but I made it to World 6-2 or 6-3, at least (and didn't continue).

4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Forget that this my favorite Zelda game or even my favorite Game Boy game. This is the best game I've ever played in my life, which is why I keep coming back for another playthrough every half-dozen years (give or take). This time was the first time I ever played the DX version, which is almost the same game sans being in color, having an extra dungeon as a side-quest, and the added photographer character who takes 12 photos of you if you're in the right place at the right time.

Due to being able to save your game whenever you want, it's easy to finish the game with zero deaths; save often, slice grass/bushes or dig holes for heart replenishment often, and as soon as you fuck up, hit reset and learn from your mistakes.

However, this was the first time I completed the game with 100% of the items. Well, technically I only have 11/12 photos, but I refuse to have everyone refer to me as "THIEF" for stealing crap out of the store, especially when I'm maxed out at 999 rupees.

I'm surprised at how much how I remember. I tried not to refer to any maps or guides, but I did need a few hints during Eagle Tower (L7) and Turtle Rock (L8), both which had me going in circles. Everything else was ice cream, including the final showdown. Which weapons to use and when to use them is apparently still implanted into my brain.

I'm thinking about firing up LoZ: Oracle of Ages next. Never finished that game.... ...or maybe Metroid Fusion. That just might be my favorite GBA title.

Edited by bomberpunk
  • Like 1