IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

17. Pokemon Platinum - DS

The Sinnoh region tends to be the least favorite among a lot of poke-fans.. I for one, found this to be one of my favorites!! Platinum is pretty challenging for a Pokemon game IMO. Lots of hard trainers, and an E4+Champion that will melt your face off if you're not trained up enough... All in all, I loved the game!!

4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

I'm thinking about firing up LoZ: Oracle of Ages next. Never finished that game.... ...or maybe Metroid Fusion. That just might be my favorite GBA title.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I still have never played this, but it is right there at the top of the queue.

I have played Oracle of Ages however. It is great, but I don't remember the ending being particularly rewarding. Still a very good Zelda game that is easy to enjoy.

I remember Metroid Fusion fondly, but it has its flaws. However, I am struggling to think of a GBA game that I enjoyed A LOT more than it. Zero Mission sorta gets my vote for the retro aspect and the fact that the original game is included. I also really liked Zelda Minish Cap. I probably have more time in Dr Mario for GBA than any of those . . .

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity (PC (Mac))

I backed this game's Kickstarter campaign with the expectation that it would deliver a fresh, innovative, and progressive take on the classic Infinity Engine CRPG's of the late 90's (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) Unfortunately, Obsidian's ambitions for the game were considerably lower.

Pillars of Eternity is the dullest CRPG I've ever played. It's a devolutionary step backwards in classic CRPG design and I can find nothing positive to say about it. I have issues with every aspect of its design from its depthless combat to its ineffectual narrative, from its homogenous class system to its witless AI, from its repetitive encounter staging to its desultory pacing, from its feeble lore and insipid setting to its broken stealth mechanics, from its otiose philosophical explorations to its derisory crafting and enchanting elements, from its shambolic inventory system to the dilatory inconsequentiality of its entire stronghold module.

The primary philosophy shaping PoE's design seems to have been one of "balance", which is a worthy objective. Unfortunately, Obsidian seems to have mistaken uniformity, monotony, and redundancy for "balance".

It's not enough to say that Pillar's of Eternity is a disappointment; I'm genuinely shocked by how lackluster, unengaging, and flawed this game turned out to be. (4/10)

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)

Not a game, but I guess I'm not letting you in on a secret by telling you that. "Interactive cinema" is the label I see more commonly applied to this title, but, frankly, the "player's" role in all of it is so passive that I hesitate to call this active-anything.

I don't know; maybe this could work if the writing was of a caliber at least an order of magnitude greater than the overworked drama and emotional cliches that constitute the core of this material. Still, I don't get it: If you don't intend to engage my faculties in any active and significant way, then why are you working in this particular medium?

I hate to sound trite, but if I wanted to watch movies on my PS3, I'd get a Netflix subscription. (3/10)

• Like 1

15. Seaman (Dreamcast)

Strange to talk about "beating" this virtual pet sim (with a dose of ELIZA), but there is indeed an ending and a credit roll. Stranger still to try and grade it, but though the game's ambitions are laudable, its suspect voice recognition and finicky construction take a major toll on enjoyment. C.

16. Wirehead (Sega CD)

Beat this FMV game for the Sega-16 effort, using my notes from when my wife and I beat it in 2010. I still think it's arguably the best FMV game on the system, or at least the best one among those I've played. B+.

17. Burning Soldier (3DO)

This rail shooter irritates me. It seems like it's going to be a very good game, with nice graphics and good production values. But in end, the combination of unskippable cutscenes, flaky input response when things get frenetic, and a stupidly constructed difficulty curve make it not very fun overall. Plus it's one of the only games ever to actually injure me, as the level of button-mashing required to survive on Hard is so intense that it eventually took its toll. (Then I bought a 3DO pad with autofire, which didn't help as much as I'd expected).

Maybe it should get bonus points for a hidden 4P mode...but eh, maybe not. C-.

• Like 1

LOL: About half a year ago I had to report in the 2014 thread that during playing Street Fighter EX2 my 'Street Fighter 15th Anniversary' fightpad died. Well - meanwhile I had the "Chun-Li" model replaced with a "Ryu" one and guess what - it now died when playing Street Fighter EX3 (PS2) :lolblue:

I had already unlocked all fighters, beaten it with all of them and achieved all bronze and silver medals though, so I'll just consider it done now :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest & Street Fighter EX3

• Like 1

7. Tetris - CD-I

I managed to play this one all the way through from Level 0 to Level 9 where the pace is so fast it is pretty much impossible to keep up. According to the back of the box, there are only 10 stages so this means counting 0 Level 9 is the final stage. I consider it done.

8. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - SNES

For what they consider a beginner's RPG there are still a few somewhat challenging boss fights, but the ability to keep re-trying any fight you lose makes it much easier than most games in the genre. Not a bad little game.

After finishing Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX) I now hope we're getting Misadventures of Tron Bonne in the European PSN sometime soon as well :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3 & Mega Man Legends 2

• Like 1

Well, I know this won't be a big deal at all for some, but I finally beat "The Hideout" on Donkey Kong Jr in MAME. If you are not familiar, "The Hideout" is the 7th screen in the game and (I believe) the last unique screen to appear in the arcade version (North America?). Anyway, it was really hard for me to do this. Over the years, I've logged more than 17.5 hrs on DK Jr across 53 different gaming sessions encompassing numerous plays. I did not use a single save state or cheat even to practice. I did however watch a YouTube video for about 90 seconds to help with the chain level, and I also looked up some info on the springboard. For some reason the bookkeeping info isn't tracking, but I'm sure I would have spent more than $100 easy if I'd been stuffing this thing with quarters. My high score is now 65,900!

• Like 1

Well, I know this won't be a big deal at all for some, but I finally beat "The Hideout" on Donkey Kong Jr in MAME. If you are not familiar, "The Hideout" is the 7th screen in the game and (I believe) the last unique screen to appear in the arcade version (North America?). Anyway, it was really hard for me to do this. Over the years, I've logged more than 17.5 hrs on DK Jr across 53 different gaming sessions encompassing numerous plays. I did not use a single save state or cheat even to practice. I did however watch a YouTube video for about 90 seconds to help with the chain level, and I also looked up some info on the springboard. For some reason the bookkeeping info isn't tracking, but I'm sure I would have spent more than $100 easy if I'd been stuffing this thing with quarters. My high score is now 65,900!

We get it ole Wongo , you are good at video games . You always make sure we don't forget . :P ;)

• Like 2

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2)

The weakest of the traditional Resident Evil games. Didn't click with me at all. A chore from start to finish. The fully-3D visuals are comparatively bland, the boss fights stink, and the story is insufferably stupid, with an atrocious script and voice acting that doesn't even rise to the level of pantomime. After the advances made in RE3, this one feels like a step backwards. A middling game, at best. (4/10)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We get it ole Wongo , you are good at video games . You always make sure we don't forget . :P ;)

Hey, I like to put it out there where everyone can see and then stroke it a few times. I call it teasing the little "Bounty Bob."

Honestly though, if you read my post carefully you'd realize that I am actually NOT very good at games . . .

/\/\ I completely agree. I was a huge RE fan, but to my surprise, I couldn't finish this game. I quit it midway through and never went back. Really glad that I didn't buy a dreamcast specifically for it . . .

I thought Code Veronica was okay. Maybe not quite as good as the original three, but still better than Zero or 6 :)

Oh and I actually came here because I just finished Tomb Raider (PS3) ;)

• Like 2

You can tell that I'm currently enjoying a couple of days off work - I just finished Bayonetta 2 as well. I wasn't impressed by the first half of it, but it improved from there onwards. Still I'd say it's to the first game almost what New Super Luigi U is to NSMBU. Near zero innovation or progress, just more of the same.