IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

I'm a little late to the party, but fortunately I have a very good memory when it comes to games I've played and what I've beaten. So, it's time for some catch up! All games were beaten on either the normal default or hard settings, and no cheats of any kind were used. :party:

1. Iridion II (Game Boy Advance)

2. Solar Striker (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

3. Nemesis (Game Boy [played on the GameCube's Game Boy Player])

4. R-Type DX (Game Boy Color)

5. Sonic Advance (Game Boy Advance)

6. Kirby's Pinball Land (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

7. Project S-11 (Game Boy Color)

8. Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis)

9. Dungeon (Atari 2600)

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy [played on AGS-101 Game Boy Advance SP])

11. Marble Madness (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

12. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600)

13. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)

14. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

15. Doom (Game Boy Advance)

16. Doom II (Game Boy Advance)

17. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

18. Venture (ColecoVision [played on ColecoVision Flashback])

19. Mecha-8 (ColecoVision [played on ColecoVision Flashback])

20. Area 51 (PS1)

21. Crypt Killer (PS1)

22. Sentinel (Atari 2600)

23. Street Fighter II (Game Boy)

24. Pole Position (Atari 2600)

And that brings us up to this week! The games beaten this week were...

25. Crossbow (Atari 2600)

26. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)

27. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)

• Like 1

28. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

This afternoon my wife and I had some free time and were in both desperate need of something to cheer us up after watching the Game of Thrones season finale, so we decided to sit down and play Sonic 2 together. We took turns passing the controller back and forth, trading off between zones or when one of us died, and after a few hours we had beaten it without using any continues and still had an extra 11 lives to spare. :-D

The only downside is that we weren't able to collect all the chaos emeralds, since (in our opinions at least) the special stages in Sonic 2 are insanely difficult. We managed to get 4 of the 7 emeralds, but past that point the special stages just got ridiculous. Still, in spite of the special stage difficulty, I think Sonic 2 will always be an awesome game to fill a few hours of time with just about any day of the week. The music is great too!

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed all four episodes of the old Apogee DOS game "Hocus Pocus". I appreciate it more now than I did back in the day. I didn't play it much when it came out. This time I was hooked until I went through the entire thing.

It's held up well. The cartoonish 2D tile graphics still look charming, as opposed to the ugly blocky graphics in old FPS games. The soundtrack is great for FM midi. The large levels offer some amount of puzzles and exploration without becoming frustrating. I used a gamepad and DOSBOX. I recommend using a pad instead of the keyboard controls.

Another 'vs.' game done, I played through Marvel Vs. SNK Pro (PSX) with all thirty-something players and bought every EX character from the ingame shop :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2 & Marvel Vs. SNK Pro

4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Forget that this my favorite Zelda game or even my favorite Game Boy game. This is the best game I've ever played in my life, which is why I keep coming back for another playthrough every half-dozen years (give or take). This time was the first time I ever played the DX version, which is almost the same game sans being in color, having an extra dungeon as a side-quest, and the added photographer character who takes 12 photos of you if you're in the right place at the right time.

Due to being able to save your game whenever you want, it's easy to finish the game with zero deaths; save often, slice grass/bushes or dig holes for heart replenishment often, and as soon as you fuck up, hit reset and learn from your mistakes.

However, this was the first time I completed the game with 100% of the items. Well, technically I only have 11/12 photos, but I refuse to have everyone refer to me as "THIEF" for stealing crap out of the store, especially when I'm maxed out at 999 rupees.

I'm surprised at how much how I remember. I tried not to refer to any maps or guides, but I did need a few hints during Eagle Tower (L7) and Turtle Rock (L8), both which had me going in circles. Everything else was ice cream, including the final showdown. Which weapons to use and when to use them is apparently still implanted into my brain.

I'm thinking about firing up LoZ: Oracle of Ages next. Never finished that game.... ...or maybe Metroid Fusion. That just might be my favorite GBA title.

Kinda based on this post, I also played through Links Awakening DX, and I just finished it last night. I have to say that it is a masterpiece. It has the right level of challenge without being too frustrating or just so weird you can't figure out what to do. I liked the in-game hint system. The dungeons felt fresh and the collection aspects weren't too grind-y.

I was playing on my GP2x Wiz which allowed me to use save states, so that helps limit frustration. I had to check a guide for 2 things. The first was for part of the "trade" sequence that I kept missing. The second was for some shell locations.

I didn't manage to steal anything from any store - didn't even know that was possible. I also couldn't really get anything from the claw game except the Yoshi - is it even possible? What is the extra dungeon? I'm not sure that I found it.

I've got three more entries to add to my list this week! :D

29. Resident Evil (GameCube)

I played through with Chris on the Hard difficulty setting, and man had I ever forgotten how much longer and more difficult of a game this was than the original PS1 game it was a remake of. I could always beat the original in 4 hours or less and still have dozens of magnum bullets and shotgun shells to spare, but this one took me over 8 hours and kept me dangerously low on ammo the entire time. Still a fantastic game though, and one that I'm sure I'll play through again before too long.

30. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Game Boy Color)

Whenever I get bored and am not sure what to play, Super Mario Bros. is always a great option. Given my adoration for the Game Boy Color it's no surprise that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is one of my favorite versions of this classic, even if having to pan the camera up and down to see above and below you does lead to some more frequent deaths here and there. I beat the normal game mode, but I may have to go back and play through Game 2 and/or The Lost Levels at some point soon too.

31. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

The misses and I had so much fun playing through Sonic the Hedgehog 2 together on monday that a few days later we decided to do the same thing for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. This time around we were able to gather all 14 chaos emeralds (the 7 regular emeralds in the Sonic 3 section of the game plus the 7 super emeralds in the Sonic & Knuckles portion) and finish the game to get the best ending. Just like last time we took turns passing the controller back and forth, trading off between zones or when one of us died, and when we finally finished the game we ended up having 39 lives and 15 continues to spare. It was certainly a lot easier than Sonic 2, but in spite of the low difficulty level we can still safely say that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is both my wife and I's all time favorite game in the entire Sonic the Hedgehog series. :)

• Like 1

Just finished up Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D on the new Nintendo 3DS tonight.

I played it on and off over the past couple weeks. I think I spent a little over 30 hours, going for 100%, which I did with the exception of 1 heart piece and 12 gold skulltulas. I need to go back and find those items but grew impatient.. So I decided to beat Ganon anyways. :P

It's a great port from N64 (which I'm used to), with some big improvements in graphics.. The 3D is fantastic! Although a lot of the old glitches are fixed unfortunately, I hope to speedrun it next time through and cut my time in half.

Highly recommended!

post-37932-0-64738800-1435474481_thumb.jpg

I just completed all four episodes of "Pharaoh's Tomb". One of the most engaging platformers that I've played in awhile. It seems really tough at first but becomes much easier as you get the hang of the controls and know what to expect. Next I think I'll try the sequel "Arctic Adventure".

18. Rambo III (Genesis)

Fun run-'n'-gun, done, on Hard with max credits (which doesn't make a big difference). The final boss battle sucks on Hard, but otherwise it's an entertaining outing with a few nice subtleties. B.

19. Link: The Faces of Evil (Philips CD-i)

Frustrating as hell to play with an infrared remote, and probably almost as frustrating with a proper gamepad -- but not nearly as bad as people claim. The backgrounds are gorgeous, the music pretty good, and there are clever touches to the overall design. Some boss battles are irritatingly obscure, though, and in general the game is poorly documented. Still, I found it oddly compelling, and I'm more patient with this kind of game than most, so I'd give it a C.

20. Art of Fighting (SNES)

Made my annual pilgrimage through this game (which I've beaten several times before) for the sake of the NintendoAge effort to beat the SNES library. C-.

21. David Crane's Amazing Tennis (SNES)

I beat the Genesis version back in 2012, and this one's very similar, though I found it much easier to beat this time. Still the most dynamic 16-bit tennis game I've played. B+.

22. Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin! (SNES)

Probably the fifth time I've beaten some incarnation of this game. Another "re-beat" for NA. C.

23. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to include this -- my wife and I quarter-fed our way through the game. Not going to bother giving it a grade.

24. The Itchy & Scratchy Game (SNES)

A really despicable game that wastes a terrific license and -- especially on higher difficulties -- forces you to play it in a way that's exactly the opposite of what would've been fun (if that makes sense). Shallow, poorly designed, full of cheap shots, and joyless, with some of the worst music I've ever heard. F.

• Like 2

Drakan: The Ancient Gates (PS2)

Not the deepest game I've ever played, but it offers enough variety, task-to-task, that the experience never grows stale or repetitive. What the game lacks in scope it makes up for in scale, however, as the gameworld is impressively large. A better camera and control scheme would have benefited the game, and the save and load times are painfully long, and a couple of nasty bugs can cause you to loose substantial progress should you happen to encounter them. All told though, Drakan: TAG is a solid action-adventure game, and I enjoyed my time with it. (7/10)

Edited by Christophero Sly

• 2 weeks later...

32. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)

Being my all time favorite handheld fighting game, I had beaten this game on Easy and Normal many times before. Last week was the first time I ever beat it on Hard though! Fun stuff :)

33. Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission (Atari 2600)

I'm actually a little surprised that the year is more than halfway over and this the first time I've played through Wolfenstein VCS this year. I'm a huge fan of Venture and this is might just be my favorite take on the game. I really should play through this game more often.

34. Mortal Kombat II (Sega Genesis)

I remember being able to beat this game on Hard with no problem at all as a kid, but after picking it up again as an adult last month and playing it again I have no idea how I used to do it. Maybe my reflexes were just a little sharper back then, but it took me weeks of trying just to beat this game on Very Easy mode with 30 continues. They sure ramped up the difficulty level a lot between MK 1 and MK 2! :o

35. Raiden Trad (Sega Genesis)

To be totally honest, I never thought I'd beat this game; even on Easy mode. Imagine my surprise when yesterday, after nearly two hours of playing, I finally conquered it! :D Sure, it was on Easy mode, but I'm still darn thrilled to have finally beaten this fiendishly difficult spaceship shooter. Now, on to Truxton!

mJNMbxy.jpg

Edited by Jin

It's past the mid-point of the year and I just got through two games. Took long enough...

1: VVVVVV - 3DS

A really fun puzzle game where you can't jump and must flip gravity instead. I found it a bit short, but I loved the music, the stages were great and I can't wait to go through the user levels.

2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Game Boy

I got this two years ago, and it was fun but it wouldn't save my game. I decided to finally play through it, and it was a good experience. I haven't played a Mario game in forever, so I was glad to finally pick one up.

Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to beat a game for one and not only play them for 10 minutes a month.

It's past the mid-point of the year and I just got through two games. Took long enough...

1: VVVVVV - 3DS

A really fun puzzle game where you can't jump and must flip gravity instead. I found it a bit short, but I loved the music, the stages were great and I can't wait to go through the user levels.

2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Game Boy

I got this two years ago, and it was fun but it wouldn't save my game. I decided to finally play through it, and it was a good experience. I haven't played a Mario game in forever, so I was glad to finally pick one up.

Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to beat a game for one and not only play them for 10 minutes a month.

Vs was such a nice surprise. I got it in the Humble Bundle so the length didn't bother me. Nice little game. I'm also on a GameBoy kick, so maybe I'll try SML2.

Time to throw three more games on the list.

3: D - 3DO, Sega Saturn, PS1

D is a game that I've loved since I first played it. There isn't much replay value as the game is the same every time, and the puzzle that they throw at you at the 1/2 way point is annoying, but I love the game for the on-rails puzzle/horror style it takes. The only issue that I had was getting stuck on the larger puzzle, and the fact that you only get two hours and no pausing. Other than that, it's great.

4: Enemy Zero - Sega Saturn

This game is the reason I bought a Saturn. It's like D with the on-rails scenes and puzzles, but it adds exploration. The amount of suspense is crazy in it, you have a gun but it gets very few shots before you have to recharge it, it is very short range being that enemies have to be right next to you to hit them, and enemies instantly kill you. Saving and loading is manual and takes up your battery on your voice recorder, making it a bit harder. I love this game.

5: D2 - Sega Dreamcast

Like how I got the Saturn for Enemy Zero, I got the Dreamcast for D2. It's not like the others, as it is more open exploration. It isn't as good as Enemy Zero to me, but I still love it. The story does drag on a bit and I don't like how they give the main character the "silent" role when if she talked the story would progress better in my opinion, but I love every other aspect of the game.

• Like 2

36. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600)

One of my favorite games on the Atari 2600, and a game I've been trying to beat since the day I got it a couple months back. I could always make it to world 4-4 but never get to the final boss, until tonight! Tonight I finally completed the entire fourth world and beat Princess Rescue! :D

YjxxKZv.jpg

After competing the game I did take on the 2nd Quest mode, but the farthest I was able to get in the second game was world 4-3 before I my wrist started getting a bit sore and I decided to call it a night. Nevertheless, I'm still thrilled just have beaten the normal game! Princess Rescue was a real challenge, and in the best kind of way. :)

whoo, more games

6: The World is Not Enough - N64

It was OK... the game wasn't terrible, and I liked the look of it, but it just felt like too many other FPS games to me and nothing special. The multiplayer isn't bad - I'd rather play Goldeneye for multiplayer - and I at least enjoyed it with a few friends

7: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - PS1

This was a fun game to me. It was a bit hard at points, and Nemesis felt like blocking progression, but it was good. The whole tank controls from 1-3 aren't something I enjoy, but I dealt with them and found the game to be fun. I may replay this, as I feel I may have missed a bit.

8: Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded - PC

I had this sitting in my Steam account doing nothing as I got a copy a while ago in some Indie bundle that I bought, and finally played it. I liked the game, it's an isometric shooter where you clear out aliens with guns and do a few simple objectives. It was definitely worth the dollar or two I spent on the bundle, and I would've bought it for the regular price if I had to.

• Like 1