IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

Donkey Kong for Gameboy. I used save states quite a bit as I played this one on my GP2x Wiz. It is a truly amazing game for the original Gameboy. In case you don't know, this goes way beyond arcade Donkey Kong and extends the original concept into a 9 world puzzler that has all the elements of the arcade classic while adding incredible depth and challenge.

37. Truxton (Sega Genesis)

I'm not someone who is generally prone to gamer rage, but this game… oh this game. Tonight I sat down and said to myself "I am going to beat Truxton tonight, and I am not going to quit until I beat it.", and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I came so very close to snapping my controller over my knee on the fifth and final stage. The difficulty skyrockets to an astronomical level, and to make matters worse every time you die and are sent back to a checkpoint you get bumped back to the previous checkpoint if you die again before making to the next one. The final boss (the one gracing the cover of the game) was surprisingly reasonable difficulty wise, especially considering the absurd difficulty of the stage leading up to it, but I definitely felt satisfied when I beat it and got to watch the little ending cutscene. As infuriating as that final stage was, I still really like this game and I'm sure I'll come back to play it again many more times. :)

38. Solar Striker (Final Mission Mode) (Game Boy [played on Game Boy Color])

Of all the vertical scrolling spaceship shooters I've ever played, Solar Striker is by far my favorite. It's mechanics are straightforward and simple, the graphics are clean and well suited to the Game Boy, and the music (Stage 4 in particular) is just fantastic. It's one of my go-to games whenever I want a familiar game to just kick back and relax with, and I've beaten Solar Striker over two dozen times in the past. But tonight was a pretty special occasion for me, because for the first time ever I beat Solar Striker on the "Final Mission" hard mode that unlocks after you beat the game once then start a new game with the Select button instead of the Start button. I've tried my hand at the Final Mission mode a good half a dozen or so times in the past and never managed to make it past Stage 4, but tonight I finally got in my groove and beat it. I think I scored pretty darn well to boot! :)

vKo0d37.jpg

• Like 1

I spent the past couple of weeks playing Breath of Fire IV (PSX). For a long time I was aiming at a 100% clear game, but after sinking more than 100 hours into it I decided to just finish it for good. Still, I have completed all fishing tasks (which took about 50 hours on their own :lol: ) and gained all but two skills. Major stuff I'm missing is the 'best' equipment for each character, but some of it has insanely low drop rates and farming for it became dead boring after a while...

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2, Marvel Vs. SNK Pro & Breath Of Fire IV

Time to throw 5 more onto the list...

9: BEEP - PC

This was an enjoyable game. I got it on sale for $1 on Steam at the Summer Sale, and I just got around to it. You play as a little robot called a BEEP who just goes around the planets, level to level, gathering stuff and solving some simple puzzles. It was enjoyable for the few hours, and I would have gladly paid the full price for it.

10: Cold War - PC

This was a cheesy and boring Splinter Cell clone. The plot was silly and the gameplay was average. I liked how you could make your own little rubber bullets or silencers and stuff. For $5 it's not bad, but I don't know if I would pay any more.

11: Daikatana - N64

I had a bad taste in my mouth going into this game, and it pretty much carried over.I got the PC one for some random TF2 items and hated it, so I tried out the N64 one and didn't like it either. It was glitchy, I couldn't figure it out, and it just didn't feel good.

12: Papers, Please - PC

This was a fun game. You're an immigration officer, and you stamp papers. What else is there to say? I loved it.

13: Battle of Olympus - NES

This was a fun game, but I couldn't get too into it. It felt a little bit like Zelda 2 which I liked, and it played pretty good. It took forever for me to figure out where to go and what to do because I didn't talk to many people until I figured that I should do it, but it felt good to beat it.

14: Rise of the Triad - DOS

I loved this game and I love the 2013 remake, but I never got around to beating the original. I finally did, and it felt good. The game is quick, fun and pretty easy to get into.

• Like 1

I love "Rondo" so much that I just completed it 100% from the beginning again, but this time used Maria whereas last time I beat every level (except stage 6) with Richter. It's generally much easier with Maria and she's a lot of fun to use.

Spoilers: The ending where she scolds Dracula for being mean is hilarious. I'm glad I have a dubbed English version.

• Like 2

25. South Park (N64)

Shallow, repetitive, has some really ill-advised platforming, doesn't make especially good use of the parent license, etc. But this FPS is playable, mostly non-frustrating, and doesn't give me simulation sickness (aka motion sickness), and those things go a long way toward making the experience somewhere between "tolerable" and "not unpleasant". The final boss stinks, though. C-.

26. Chopper Attack (N64)

This is basically an arcade-style, polygonal Desert Strike. It won't win any awards for depth or style, and while it might've been a good practical idea to make mid-air collisions harmless, it often leads to comic results as the game's airspace turns into a crowded Broadway ticket line, with helicopters and planes bumping into each other left and right. But it was fun enough to see through -- and, again, it didn't make me feel ill, which is always a dicey question on the N64. C.

27. Drakkhen (SNES)

I think I've beaten this three times now: the first back in 1991 or 1992, the second an emulator playthrough around 2000, and the third this week while I recuperate from minor surgery. While Drakkhen is suffused with nostalgia for me -- the atmosphere and music are undeniably remarkable -- it's not really a very good (or coherent) game at all, objectively speaking. But who cares about objectivity? Well, I do, actually, but not today. B-.

Time for more games, woohoo!

15: Magic: the Gathering - Windows

So I love the MTG card game. I've collected since 7th Edition (More like got 10 packs or so and played with them as my brothers tried to teach little me to play), and played in DCI sanctioned events since 10th Edition. I can't find too many flaws with it other than the Banned/Restricted lists and Type 2 being a money sink. I found this game a bit ago, and I love the older cards and sets, so I tried it out. It's a mix of a RPG and a TCG, you build a deck, run from town to town, get new cards, do quests, go through dungeons, etc. all while playing Magic. I like the card selection - I found it more fun than any of the new Duels of the Plainswalkers games - and I like the AI as it's not a blowoff at all times. Add all of that with an epic FMV tutorial, and you have a great game for any TCG or MTG fan. It doesn't have all the rules and stuff of newer ones and having some knowledge of older sets and decks helps, but it's an awesome game to try out.

It also had a card I've wanted - an oversize 6x9 card - for a joke deck I'm making in it. This alone made it worth the price.

16: Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis AKA ARMA: Armed Assault - Windows

Another series I love, I'd played the ARMA series since ARMA: Armed Assault came out in 2007. I just got around to this one as I never noticed that it was an ARMA game until I found that the first Operation Flashpoint is ARMA a little bit ago. It has simple graphics and some sequences are a bit boring like say "Drive to work", but it sure is fun. Another cool thing is the level editor. I love level editors in my games, and it's sweet to make my own maps. Overall, it was definitely worth the $5 I paid.

Well, two more on the list.

Edited by BurritoBeans

28. Super Tennis (SNES)

There are definitely some real flaws in this game: lobs almost always go out, putaway shots from midcourt are inevitably turned into the dinkiest of drop shots, and it's trivial to serve long strings of ridiculous aces. And once you learn how to play, the game is mostly just too easy, which takes a significant toll.

But now that I've beaten it fair and square, I have to give Super Tennis its props. Despite all the issues and quirks, there's a real game there, which is more than I can say for 90% of the tennis games I've played. And the final boss, Don J, is a fun challenge who, contrary to my previous belief, doesn't require you to use exploits to beat him. (Well, except for the ace thing.) B+.

29. Gemfire (Genesis)

This strategy game with mild RPG elements is much more accessible than your average Koei title, moves along at a nice, brisk pace -- at least by the standards of the genre -- and has good gameplay and presentation. Unfortunately, it comes with one of the most brain-dead AI combat routines I've ever encountered, which makes winning every battle trivial even when you're vastly outnumbered. It was fun while it lasted, but with a smarter CPU it could've had a longer shelf life. B-.

• Like 1

Spent the last two weeks playing Tech Romancer (DC). Completed every story and every mode with each character and unlocked everything :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2, Marvel Vs. SNK Pro, Breath Of Fire IV & Tech Romancer

39. The House of the Dead 2 (Arcade [played on The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return for Wii])

It took me many hours of practice, but I was finally able to beat the standard arcade mode in The House of the Dead 2 on 6 credits. Even after beating it though I've still gone back to play it over and over again, since this is probably my all time favorite light gun game; and definitely my favorite game when it comes to voice acting in video games. The voice actors for this one had to put an enormous amount of effort into their voice acting to sound as bad as they do. You just can't voice act that badly by accident! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

40. Super R.C. Pro-AM (Game Boy [played on AGS-101 Game Boy Advance SP])

This is one of my childhood favorite games that I try and go back and play at least a few times a year, and while I never managed to beat it as a kid I can now beat it the majority of the times I play it. I didn't manage to 1CC it this time like I've done in the past (I ended up using 3 continues), but tonight was still my first win in Super R.C. Pro-AM for 2015. :)

LdM0XPu.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Filling another gap thanks to the virtual console with Mega Man & Bass (WiiU). I beat it with Mega Man and Bass, collecting all 100 CDs along the way :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2, Marvel Vs. SNK Pro, Breath Of Fire IV, Tech Romancer & 'Mega Man & Bass'

The next one went down a lot faster than I thought it would: Beat Strider 2 (PSX) with both characters :)

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2, Marvel Vs. SNK Pro, Breath Of Fire IV, Tech Romancer, 'Mega Man & Bass' & Strider 2

I finished Ufouria for the NES. It is a Metroid inspired platformer that was a Japan and PAL exclusive. Pretty fun. I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to see what would happen if Metroid gameplay was put into a world of inexplicably quirky Japanese characters (with no guns).

30. Faery Tale Adventure (Genesis)

I originally beat this at the start of 2012, and beat it again a few weeks ago for the beat 'em all thread. Maybe I'm less sanguine about the game than I was back in 2012 -- but eh, I still like the cut of its jib, and my previous comments still stand. A-.

31. Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour (SNES)

I always like a tennis game that lets you skip the mandatory animations and hurry things along, and that's a big plus for Jimmy Connors Tennis. But it's overlong and mostly way too easy, with the exception of one opponent who turns into a typical net-hugging brick wall on Professional difficulty. Still, it could be a lot worse. C.

32. IMG International Tennis Tour (Genesis)

...and speaking of a lot worse, here we have a game that looks and sounds pretty nice, features a large roster of real-life tennis players -- and could be beaten by a trained pigeon. Every single opponent can be defeated by simply hitting deep lobs, as 95% of the time, the ball either won't come back at all (whiff!) or will be hit out or into the net. You literally don't even need to move from your starting position -- just hit and hold A, and watch the points roll in.

Now, spread that over 16 five-round tournaments (and a bonus 17th tournament), and you've got a recipe for some of the most profound tedium I've ever encountered in a tennis game. In fact there's literally no game here, because they didn't bother to do the most basic playtesting for the CPU AI. And the gameplay itself is slooow, with mandatory animations after every point and game, though at least you can configure it to play only 1 set per match.

Maybe I should give it a bonus point for supporting 4P multiplayer, but I didn't make use of that, so IMG gets a big fat F from me.