IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2015!

Charlie Cat

39. Dungeon Escape (Online)

This addictive Flash game first grabbed my attention a decade ago. About half the levels had been implemented, so I played through and enjoyed what was there. The developer (Studio Hunty) was working on a Metroidvania game called Sketchy at the same time, but eventually pulled the plug on that -- so when he stopped working on Sketchy, I figured this had been abandoned as well.

Fast forward to now: a random autocomplete in my location bar directed me to the old bookmark, and I followed it for old times' sake, only to discover Dungeon Escape had eventually been completed back in 2010. So I dove right in, and most of what I remembered from 2005 came back rather quickly. The new levels didn't take too long to learn, but I was still pleasantly surprised to beat it within a day.

As for the game itself, it's basically a mouse-driven Dragon's Lair with stick figures -- and within that framework, it does pretty much everything it sets out to do! The ending is a slight letdown, but only slight. A.

40. Hover Strike (Atari Jaguar)

So, the first Jaguar game I've ever beaten, and one that's almost universally panned in favor of the CD version (which I've never played). And yeah, it's kinda trashy, the framerate dips at the worst times, and the "realistic" hovercraft physics mean that you take more damage from going down a steep hill than from enemy missiles.

But the fact that I played through all three difficulty levels -- Easy at the start of 2014, and Medium and Hard this month -- suggests that there's something of merit there, underneath all the flaws. And in truth, there is, at least for me. C-.

41. Friday the 13th (NES)

I originally beat this back in 1994 or 1995, but a recent discussion of the game made me want to pull it out again -- well, pull the ROM out, anyway -- for another playthrough. And I think it holds up! Not a perfect game by any means, but there's a certain elegance to the way it's thought out and constructed. Short, but there's something to be said for that; I've always liked the music, too. B+.

Perfect Timing :D

dmc.PNG

Capcom games beaten in 2015: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Dino Crisis 2, Spawn, RE: Code Veronica, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, Demon's Crest, Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man Legends 2, Marvel Vs. SNK Pro, Breath Of Fire IV, Tech Romancer, Mega Man & Bass, Strider 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO & Devil May Cry

• Like 1

Devil May Cry 2 (PS2)

A decent hack-and-slash held back by unsophisticated AI that doesn’t demand any tactical variety from the player. Button-mashing is sufficient throughout, and it gets a bit repetitive. An atmosphere and sense of desolation is well-realized, but beyond that, there is nothing in the game to elevate it above the mundane. (6/10)

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

Devil May Cry 2 (PS2)

A decent hack-and-slash held back by unsophisticated AI that doesn’t demand any tactical variety from the player. Button-mashing is sufficient throughout, and it gets a bit repetitive. An atmosphere and sense of desolation is well-realized, but beyond that, there is nothing in the game to elevate it above the mundane. (6/10)

I remember it being somewhat boring, back then I only finished it because it was quite easy. Still looking forward to go after its platinum sometime soon :)

• Like 1

I remember it being somewhat boring, back then I only finished it because it was quite easy. Still looking forward to go after its platinum sometime soon :)

Yeah, it’s not a very challenging game. It was probably a bad idea to require players to complete the game on its lowest difficulty level before allowing them to unlock anything harder. The game is also relatively short, so I was considering going back through both campaigns now that I’ve unlocked the “Hard” difficulty level, but I suspect that “Hard” just adds more enemies and gives them longer health bars. I doubt the AI sees dramatic improvement.

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

Metroid Zero Mission.

GBA upgrade of the original Metroid with lots of extras.

I've played the original Metroid, but haven't really put that much time into it. Really impressed with Zero Mission, some of the most fun I've had with a video game... any video game.

10/10

I can't decide if I want to play Super Metroid or 8 bit Metroid next.

• Like 2

5. Jaws (NES)

I'm pretty sure I've beaten more than five games so far this year, but I've only noted four previous to this entry.

There's nothing really special about this game but I enjoy stabbing that overgrown guppy in the face with my boat. I learned today that the highest level you can power up to is 9, and then you earn another strobe at the price of 10 conch shells from then on. I cleared the game on power level 8, which is a personal best. When the power level is that high, you face shark after shark after shark while trying to take down Jaws at the same time. Good thing I had a turbo button. I bet power level 9 throws in those "heat-seeking" jellyfish too. I barely ever find the submarine. I think it's usually in the rightmost section.

(NES)

Battletoads (used warps) The most challenging/rewarding game I've played in a long time

Gumshoe (my favorite light gun game!)

Castlevania

Legacy of the Wizard (my second time beating this game) I am obsessed with this game!

Raiders of the Lost Ark (needed the help of the solution sheet)

• 2 weeks later...

I am way overdue for an update to my games beaten list! It's been over a month since I posted in this thread and I've managed to beat quite a few games in that time, so here's the update. :)

46. Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)

Not only one of the best looking games on the Atari 2600, but a darn fun (and challenging) one to boot. I can't say I've ever played the exceedingly popular NES version of Kung-Fu, but the Atari one definitely rocks. Beating this game and rescuing your character's girlfriend involves a fair portion of luck in addition to skill, and it usually takes me three or four attempts to pull it off whenever I sit down to play Kung-Fu Master, but it's always a satisfying experience when you do finally make it past that final boss. This is one game that I highly recommend to any beat 'em up fan with an Atari 2600 in their gaming center!

47. Operation C (Game Boy)

It only took me two decades of practice, but I finally one credit cleared Operation C and man was I ever pleased about it! :D This is definitely my favorite Contra game by far, and now that I've really conquered it I feel like I just have to pick up Contra: The Alien Wars for the Game Boy and have a go at that one pretty soon. I had it as a kid but I don't remember much about it other than that it was tough as nails; which is kind of par for the course with any Contra game. lol

48. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Atari 2600)

Kind of a cheap addition to the list, since this homebrew title can be easily beaten in 20 minutes or less by anyone familiar with the Lord of the Rings books or films and even a modicum of deductive reasoning skills. Still, I did beat it so on the list it goes!

49. Super Cobra (Atari 2600)

To date this is my favorite horizontal scrolling shooter on the Atari 2600 and it definitely offered up a pretty substantial challenge when I decided to sit down and try to beat it. I did end up having to use a couple continues to do it, but victory still tasted sweet when I finally finished that last stage. :)

50. Haunted House (Atari 2600)

Another fairly cheap and easy addition to the list, but I did spend a fair bit of time playing Haunted House on Halloween and ended up beating game modes 1 through 4. None of them were terribly challenging, but I still had a good time with it nonetheless.

51. Ghost Manor (Atari 2600)

I played through this game several times as well on Halloween, and ended up beating every game mode in the process. It's a fairly simple and straightforward game, but I've always enjoyed the variety of stages and the elaborate (by Atari 2600 standards) graphics. The ability to choose between a male and female character is pretty neat too, and I think this might be the very first video game to let you choose the gender of your character. A fun one for the history books!

52. Duke Nukem (Game Boy Color)

Now we're getting back to games that really provide a long and substantial challenge! I've always enjoyed the original two side scrolling Duke Nukem games put out by Apogee Software, so when I found out that there was a very similar looking Duke Nukem game released for the Game Boy Color I just had to get it and play through it. This was one seriously tough game, and there were a few points during it that I had to reference a strategy guide online to figure out how to beat a couple of the bosses, but ultimately after a little more than 6 hours of playing I was able to defeat the final boss (without using a strategy guide no less) and watch the credits roll. Duke Nukem for the GBC didn't receive the greatest critical reception, but as a longtime fan of the original Duke Nukem games I thought it was a brilliant homage to Duke's roots. This is one that I'll definitely be playing through again some day!

53. 1942 (Game Boy Color)

I just finished this one a few minutes ago, and man was I ever stoked to have finally beaten such an iconic shmup title! I think I've kind of made it my mission to acquire and beat every quality vertical scrolling shmup for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, and 1942 was a really fantastic one to add to that list. I think what I enjoyed the most about it was that it was actually substantially less difficult than the arcade version (which I have on my 60-in-1 multicade) and the addition of a password save system was greatly appreciated. I played this one on and off for a few months before I finally beat it, but now that I've finished it I'm really looking foreword to going back and playing through it again in the near future. Lackluster and slightly grating music aside, it's just a wonderful game all around and well worth the somewhat high price that cartridges of it tend to go for. Any shmup fan with a Game Boy Color really owes it to themselves to have a copy of 1942 in their library. :)

• Like 1

Legacy of the Wizard (my second time beating this game) I am obsessed with this game!

If this game was slightly less cryptic and difficult I honestly believe it would be regarded as a top-ten NES game. It is so, frickin', amazing! Literally brilliant. It basically laid the foundation for "Metroidvania" but... it's more interesting somehow. I need to find about 30 more games in this style, and they don't exist.

54. Monopoly (Game Boy Color)

It took me three attempts and around 4 hours of time, but I finally won a game against the two computer opponents Penelope and Ollie! :D I really enjoy this version of board game classic and I think the next time around I'll try a four player game. Not a bad way to spend a Thanksgiving afternoon!

I just beat Pool of Radiance last night.....whew tough

I finally beat Pool of Radiance a month or so ago. Thanks GOG! Loved, loved, loved the game. I played it on c64 back around '89 or '90, but never got that far.

I didn't intend to, but got sucked into Curse of the Azure Bonds as well. I'm about halfway through... may or may not finish by end of year. Stupid bugs with max hit points getting reduced made me replay several sections multiple times but I think I've got a handle on it now. Don't equip anything that affects stats on imported characters, and if someone dies from poison, cure the poison first before raising dead. *sigh*.

Curse is still a lot of fun, but not as good as PoR.

• Like 1

I've had a pretty hectic year that was bifurcated by an international move back to the U.S. after a five-year stint in Japan, so trying to recall the games I finished before the move is kind of tough. Let's see what I can remember...

Shovel Knight

Bayonetta

Castlevania

Duke Nukem 3D

Dragon's Crown

Metal Gear Solid

Teslagrad

Fire 'n Ice

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

GoldenEye 007 (Wii)

I'll add more as I remember them.

Edited by DustyKramKram
  • Like 2

I finally beat Pool of Radiance a month or so ago. Thanks GOG! Loved, loved, loved the game. I played it on c64 back around '89 or '90, but never got that far.

I didn't intend to, but got sucked into Curse of the Azure Bonds as well. I'm about halfway through... may or may not finish by end of year. Stupid bugs with max hit points getting reduced made me replay several sections multiple times but I think I've got a handle on it now. Don't equip anything that affects stats on imported characters, and if someone dies from poison, cure the poison first before raising dead. *sigh*.

Curse is still a lot of fun, but not as good as PoR.

I started that up too and transferred my characters from Poolrad. I'm at the beginning. I beat most of these games on my PC in the 90's, its nice to play them again. The cluebooks are a must to beat them though.

This tool is really cool to use:

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

You can cheat with it but I only use it for the automap feature and maxing out my hitpoints when leveling up (instead of random HP rolls I edit it to give my PC's the max amount ex. fighters get 10 per level etc)

• Like 1

I normally post in threes for some reason, but this victory is special:

42. Tower of Doom (Intellivision)

It's taken over 70 hours to take this roguelike down, but it's been worth it. After dozens of attempts I finally beat the Grail Quest scenario today using the Waif, which means I've beaten every Adventure in the game with the weakest character.

Is this the best console RPG released in the US in the 1980s? That might be a bold claim, but when you compare it with the competition, and consider its sheer depth and unexplored nuance, I think you can make a good case for it. A+.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

55. Tomb Raider II (Sony PlayStation)

This might be my last one for 2015, but oh man was it ever a good one! It's been probably 15 years since I last played though this game, and I had an absolute blast revisiting it. I think the levels in Tibet may be my all time favorite levels in any Tomb Raider game ever made, and getting to play through them again for the first time in the better part of two decades was an absolute joy. It took me just over 27 hours to play through the whole game beginning to end and I can safely say that if was worth every minute of it! :D

• Like 1