IGNORED

Found unknown (Dutch) ROM (R.OS v2 5-1990)

SenorRossie

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a beaten set of 8bit machines. One of them, a 130XE, booted into an unknown (to me that is) OS:

post-39196-0-24698700-1420049164_thumb.jpg

After booting the ROM, the machine doesn't respond to anything, but the RESET button. I've contacted a couple of folks that could know more about this, but that came up empty, hence this post.

A couple more shots of the inside of the system with things that stood out (to me):

post-39196-0-41268900-1420049155_thumb.jpg

post-39196-0-90862500-1420049177_thumb.jpg

Anyone got some more info on this?

I plan on creating a dump somewhere next week, but any info on the ROM is welcome.

Kind regards,

Senor Rossie

P.S. Happy New Year !

Have you tried swapping out the keyboard? The boot prompt suggests that START and SELECT should be active - maybe the keyboard on that unit is bad?

I tested the hardware with a known working ROM and except for the HELP key, the keyboard worked fine.

I think, that not only OS ROM was change. I think, that also BASIC ROM must be read. With START you can go to Atari Basic, with Select - to other ones, user defines (and write into eprom with language - for example: Action!, Basic XE, or any tool). So, I think - both must be read: OS ROM i BASIC/otherone ROM.

Thanks to Frankenstein's romsaver utility (http://atariage.com/forums/blog/587/entry-11609-tool-to-dump-atari-xlxe-os-rom-basic-rom/), I was able to dump the ROM.

I started with running the romsaver atr from a MyIDE][ cart, but that ended up in 'BOOT ERROR', so I tried to use my SIO2PI setup to boot the ATR, which again resulted in a 'BOOT ERROR' message. So, I opted for another route: I booted a DOS2.0s atr from the SIO2Pi D1, and added the romsaver.atr as D2. I ran the romsaver.com from D2: and swapped D1 with a blank formatted disk (R_OS_v2.atr).

• Like 1

Is that a 100% reliable way of dumping the ROM ? I've got an EPROM programmer that can read the ROM if needed.

I don't know wether it is a 100% reliable way of dumping the ROM. But if you can bring the EPROM programmer to Maarssen in two months, I'll bring the 130XE with me ;)

• 2 years later...

Apologies for (necro)bumping this topic, but I found some additional info on the R.OS ROM while searching for ROMS to flash on my Antonia card.

Seems it contains an, ATARI compatible, modified OS with 2400baud cassette interface as Phaeron pointed out already.

When I dig up the machine again, I'll see if it contains the 16k BASIC EEPROM and will have a go at dumping its contents, but for now: Case closed.

• Like 2