IGNORED

MSX Roms on Atarimax Ultimate SD Cartridge and SGM?

65Gamerguy

I was curious if it would be possible to play MSX ROMS on the ColecoVision using the Atarimax Utimate SD cart and the Super Game Module? From what I can tell the SGM brings the specs of the CV up to the MSX, but the sound chip is different.

Has anyone tried this? If so does it work, except for the sound, or are there other issues I have overlooked that make it non functional?

Happy New Year to everyone!

Could be done but need very much work intelligent code to patch ports og vdp and psg and then how to deal with keyboard routines so in reality No will not be possible and then also a problem with the interrupts and many. But somebody made msx games run at a svi .328 the code is intelligent to patch vdp psg keyboard joystick ports and adresses. But msx and svi are much more equal then msx is to a cv plus sgm...

I think its impossible to do some hardware like that, unless you can disable everything but the video output inside the ColecoVision.

to the Z80, portnumbers are not the same. So it means you can not make any MSX software working unless it read the VDP port number from the bios, or uses bioscalls only, and I guess alot of games dont. Besides as I understand the VDP is connected to the NMI not INT as at the MSX.

And If a module could be made I bet it would be very expensive :)

The Atari expansion module is simply an Atari inside a box and the Colecovision is blocked, only the video/audio output path is used.

A MSX would be the same, an expansion module that blocks the Colecovision.

They made such a thing for the Spectravideo SV-328. Unfortunately they're extremely rare.

On this page, there is a tool to convert/load SG-1000 games on MSX computers. I don't know how well it works, and in any case sound and input are different. I tried to run the text through Google translate, and it seems the author seriously is trying the opposite, to convert simple MSX games to play on the SG-1000. I suppose it still wouldn't be applicable to ColecoVision, at least not without another good deal of work.

http://www.tiny-yarou.com/sg2msx.html