IGNORED

Are you multi-platform

Atari-Collector

Just wondering how many people here collect old computers besides Atari here?

My first computer was (and I still have it) a TRS-80 model 1. And while I have focused on Atari, I've decided to get some TRS-80 stuff too. Just bought a model 100 on ebay and hunting for a model 4 for a reasonable price.. the shipping on them is super high to Canada though :(

So what other brands to use collect? Know any TRS-80 counterpart to the forum? OH i know I'm at risk of being lynched now :) LOL

• Like 1

I was, and to a lesser extent still am, a collector of any and all 80s machines... Besides my trove of Atari stuff, I still have:

-Apple IIc

-Commodore SX-64

(I really like that these two are self-contained, and I don't need storage devices or other peripherals to enjoy them once in a while)

-Amiga 1000

-TI-99/4a

The collection used to be much larger... and I really regret selling off most of this stuff:

-complete Apple IIe setup

-complete Apple IIgs setup

-Bell and Howell black-case Apple II+

-IBM PC w/ IBM 5161 Expansion Chassis

-Commodore VIC-20

-Commodore Plus/4

-Commodore PET 4032

-TRS-80 model III

Combination of needing the cash and just not having time to really use them led to the great sell-off around 5 years ago.

Multi-platform? Of course -- Atari 800 and Atari 1200 XL! :-)

I don't have the space to build my own electronics museum, so I'm limited to keeping things that have value and use for me. In computers that's a few Atari 8-bits and Amigas (and one 1040ST that is a very accomplished dust collector.). Thinking of getting an Apple II of some type, maybe IIc.

The living room is permitted several game consoles as long as the older ones not in use can hide in drawers... 2600, and then the much more modern nintendo hardware starting from the N64 to the Wii-u.

@ Atari-Collector

You won't get lynched at my Place.

I have just come across to the Atari xl/xe world from many years working/playing with the Tandy-TRS-80 series of machines Model 1/3/4/4p and peripherals.

Mu Primary machines are the Model 4 and the 4P (Luggable).

The reason I came across was that there is so much activity on various Atari forums and hardware development.

We have just finished (Trs-80) bringing our hard drive up to at least the 19th century :? With a FreHD SD Hard drive Models 1/3/4/4p .

Ps the next move will be to the Amstrad cps series of machines as there is a bit of activity there ( Z80 Based )

Ray W

• Like 1

I have a trs-80 cc2 from my youth. I loved it and have the rare katerpillar attack cart with it. I have downland which is awesome, and 4 or five others and I find it an amazing old computer..

There is the odd thread in classic computing general forum here on atariage with the odd fanatic. But it is quickly dying off I think. There was a connector to play all the games called a drivewire or something that was made in the last 15 years or so.

My collection is extensive, but nothing compared to some of the cats in this forum. My Atari 8-Bits are my prized possessions, but honorable mentions go to:

- Commodore 64C with CMD FD-2000, 1581, 1571, and IEC2SD;

- Atari TT 030 with Matrix CoCo VME graphics card, 128MB fast RAM, math co-processor, SCSI-to-CF adapter and 4GB CF card, and external NEC Mutli-Spin 4X; and

- Commodore CD32 with SX-1, 16MB RAM, IDE-to-CF adapter with 4GB CF card.

Besides my Atari horde:

(2) 400's

(9) 800's

(6) 600XL's

(12) 800XL's

(5) 1200XL's

(1) 1450XL (Homebuilt)

(1) 65XE

(4) 130XE's

(2) XEGS'

(4) 520 ST's ((2) 1 meg)

(4) 1040 ST'S ((1) AT-Speed 286)

(1) 1040 STE

(1) Mega 4

(1) Falcon 030 (4Meg)

I also have:

(2) 64-C's

(1) C128

(1) CoCo-II

(1) Apple IIc

(1) Apple IIe

(3) Amiga 1000's (will be selling 2)

(4) Mac's (will be selling 3)

(1) Kim 1 MOS Not C=

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 3

Besides my Atari 8-bit collection I currently have:

TI-99/4A, with CF7+ as well as a Corcomp 9900 MiniPEB and 3.5 inch drive

2x NTSC VIC20s and 1x PAL VIC20 with uIEC, 1581 drive and MegaCart

Commodore 64 with uIEC, 1581 drive and EasyFlash3

Previously I have owned:

Acorn Electron

Timex Sinclair TS1500

Atari 520ST

On my fantasy wish-list (one day when I have a lot more space and money)

Camputers Lynx 96 (for some reason just always wanted one of these)

Sord M5

Colour Genie

Commodore Max

I never got into the TRS machines, but do have fond memories of the Video Genie clones with their faux wooden casings.

Having the Commodores and the TI helps me appreciate both the Atari's strengths and shortcomings. The C64 is a great machine, but for some reason it always feels clunky compared to the Atari. I have been playing with the EasyFlash 3 system for the past few days, and as much as I appreciate the development efforts that went into it, it feels clumsy compared to the elegant Atarimax Flash cartridge solution that the Atari 8-bit has. The SIO2PC solution remains one of the simplest and most elegant solutions to providing a mass storage to a classic computer, that few have been able to match.

That said, what HAL labs got out of the humble VIC20 puts much of Atari's software to shame!

• Like 1

I suppose it'd be interesting to have a big collection of 8 and 16 bit machines. But then the question comes, when would I have time to make use of them all? The fact is I wouldn't. Plus, I couldn't afford the space even if I did have the time or inclination.

With that in mind I've purposely limited myself to just two. I formerly had access to just about any machine I wanted, at very low cost or basically free. That's the other reason I needed to limit myself.

So I just have a handful of Ataris -- only one of which is used at a given time -- and one 68K Mac, which comes in handy for various things related to the GUI (although not necessary because there are a few decent 68K Mac emulators out there). The 68K Mac needs some memory replaced, so it's sitting unused right now. The Mac is a Quadra 605, which is an awesome "pizza box" Mac that's fast enough, supports plenty of RAM and takes up very little space. So it's perfect for those who don't have room but need/want such an item.

I still have a lot of original software for the Mac from back in the day, but it's mostly unneeded because it can be found online these days, but there are occasionally a few things that can't be found online that I need. So then I go into the archives. I also have a pair of Syquest drives, and a Zip drive that I inherited (never owned or used one back in the day). Most of the software is on 3.5" disks though -- probably about 500 of them.

I'm more multi retro console these days but did used to have a Vic 20, ZX80 & ZX81, C64 in numerous versions, 15411 DD's fitted with parallel cable, Sord M5, Jupiter Ace, an Amiga 1200 (loved it), these days because I lost all those in moves etc I have an 800XL, Atari 800 (my fave atari), 2 1050's (one dead), a ST 1040STFM (think its FM), a Super Nintendo (US) with Super Wild card, A PS2, An Xbox, a Dreamcast and a Gamecube.

Emulation wise I run loads of old systems like the NES, Amiga, Snes, C64, PSP, Vic20, in fact the list is way too long to type..

Lets just say I'm very very Retro :)

Oh there's a Xbox360 and a PS4 when we can afford it...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

It's a sickness for me. Started with my 800XL with 2x1050 drives, 600XL, Amiga 500, NTSC SNES, Japanese Mega Drive that I bought new. Then it was buying any new console from Dreamcast onwards. Then it was buying up machines I had parted with - TI-99/4a, Sinclair ZX81 and Acetronic MPU1000. Then it was 'always wanted a VCS'. From that point on it's been a matter of collecting every computer I'd ever read or knew of and any console. As has been pointed out, I couldn't possibly find time to use them all, but from the top of my head the current inventory of retro computers not including various drives, monitors, flash storage units etc contains:-

Acorn Atom, Electron, BBC Model B x2, Archimedes A3000

Amstrad CPC6128

Apple IIe x2, Mac LC II, Mac LCIII

Atari 400, 800, NTSC 1200XL, 600XL, 800XL x3, 65XE, 130XE, 520ST x2, 1040ST, Falcon 040

Commodore VIC-20, 64 x2, 64C, SX-64, Amiga 500, Amiga 500 Plus, Amiga 4000

Dragon 32

EACA Colour Genie

Mattel Aquarius

Memotech MTX-512

Oric 16K, 48K, Atmos

Philips MSX2

Sam Coupe

Sharp MZ-700

Sinclair Zx81 x3, Spectrum 48K x3, Spectrum 128, Spectrum +2, QL

Sord M5

Tandy Color Computer

Texas TI-99/4a x3 (1 PEB)

Toshiba HX-10 MSX x2

Yamaha CX-M5 MSX x2

As for the ones I use most.... an expanded 800XL, TI-99/4a with CF7A+ and Amiga 4000 are set up most of the time. The others are boxed up along with most consoles. Space is now an issue.

Edited by trev2005
  • Like 2

Just Atari for me. Not enough spare time to expand my collection. I went VFR direct to the IBM compatible in 1988 and have only owned Atari 8-bits prior to that. I can certainly understand the draw to collecting these wonderful machines. I am about to turn 51 and have a nostalgic love of the 80's. Here in America, probably the best decade of the 20th century. 1980's USA just kicked ass. The music, the tech explosion (Atari, Apple, IBM), the movies, the cars, the economy, we were hitting on all eight cylinders in the 80's. It was the last decade parents really allowed kids to be free and have adventures without constant adult supervision. I miss that for my children, but this is not the 1980's and America is not the same and don't mean for the better. I digress, My 11 year old the other day asked if I was disappointed in only getting an Atari 400 for Christmas (a story I've retold him a number of times). I explained to him that in 1981, the Atari 400 was the bomb. It was better than getting the new i7 core laptop he just received this Christmas. Another cool thing about collecting 80's tech is that they usually still work. Imagine that, a piece of electronics that still works Code 1 after 30+ years. Today's electronics are designed to be used for 2-3 years as they become obsolete and tossed in a landfill for the next flavor. A testament to a different mindset that things should be built to last and be reliable (except for 1980's American cars).

• Like 1

I don't collect them, I use them every once and a while.

some ATARI 8 bits (models: 800 XL,130 XE; modded and original),

a 1040 STE (ok it is sleeping for yeasrs now, since I use the next one more)

2 & 1/2 ATARI Falcon (tower & original case & mainboard)

a KC 85/2 (also sleeping for some years now - this one has never got my main interest, but it is there)

some consoles are there also:

Lynx, GBC, PSP, Jaguar, PSX, PS2, Wii

That are the computers, that "live along me, since I once bought them). Once I had an Amiga 1200, too. But that one was sold for the need of some money (and place), and it was the thing, I had less nostalgic with ;)

Most of my stuff outside of Atari is roadkill on the technology highway. I have an

H89

original PC

Olivetti

Jupiter Ace

DEC PDT/11

Lots of other junk passed through my hands like MSX, Timex, still have an original Mac motherboard, Televideo, and other odd stuff. Still have stuff like an 1802 I bread boarded but haven't turned it on in a while. Much of the stuff was either thrown out or crushed by my Xs. i.e. I can't find the keyboard overlay to my Jupiter ACE. What would happen is I would take something apart to look at the circuit and literally while I was in one room reading the chips, my X would be tossing the other parts out the door. Only stuff that survived were things you needed a ladder to get to. Worst part about it is it knocked the wind out of my sails for doing anything computer related. Checked my email the other day and 921 unread dating back to 2013! I kind of have a panic attack when I approach anything computer related now from years of verbal and physical conditioning. :)

There's also junk only interesting to me because of my prior life as a chemist. Not a computer, gas chromatagraph with outputs for a chart recorder. Taking forever for me to get it running. Only thing computer related to it is PIC/USB A/D conversion I am using to interface it to a Windows 8 computer. Chart recorders and paper are not on my to do list. I think the only thing left to do is buy a Helium tank but I bogged down after getting the A/D working. I may finish it off and give it to my son in law as he has a use for it.

wow, great to see people are saving these old machine of all kinds, a number of them I had never heard of before.

Some how I doubt 20 or 30 years from now game systems like the PS3/4 or Xbox, or and current computer will be being collected like we do. They probably won't even turn on because the can't home home to see if they are still approved to run by the big cooperate computers. (As PS and xbox owner found on on Christmas, if the server goes down so do the games, yes I have a PS3)

But I'll bet there will still be people collecting our 8-bit friends. The newest game crazes come and go, but Pong and Pac-Man are eternal :)

Blimey, two people in the UK who owned Sord M5's :)

It's a nice machine! I didn't realise until I owned one how close it was to the MSX / Memotech - using the same graphics as the TI.

One thing that hadn't occurred to me at first when I started collecting is that I'm going to have to develop some electronics skill to repair, recap etc these old machines as they deteriorate. I had to change the motherboards in my two Mac LCs and made my Spectrum 48Ks composite video but that's my limit right now.

I think I've shown most of my machines working on Instagram by now.

I rotate around my collection, theres allways 2 or 3 that are all setup and connected to the tv/ monitor , all plugged and ready to play:

At the moment the chosen ones are a philips msx2 nms8250 , a breabdin C64 and a zx128 +2... Yes, shame on me no ataris this time, my 800xl pal where in the previous setup when i was testing the midi joy interface...

A very brief recolllection from memory, i have nowaadays:

Msx: a turbo r st, 2 philips msx2, a hotbit msx 1 (brazillian model)

Atari 8bit: 800 (2), 800xl(2), 130xe,600xl

Commodore: c64(3),c64c(2),c128

Amiga:500(2),600(3),1200

Atari520st

Acorn:bbc modelb(2),electron

Spectrum: zx128 +2, tk90x (brazilllian clone), a russian clone i dont remember the name

Amstrad cpc6128

Tandy trs color model 2, model3 (2), cp 400, cp 400 ii(brazillian clones)

Apple iic, apple iigs

Plus a whole lot of consoles... Ataris 5200,7800,2600 , colecovision, pc engine,neo geo,snes, genesis,xbox, gameboy advance, psx,ps2 ,dreamcast, plus some other i cant remember right now

All working...

I guess is time to downsize...

Not!

• Like 1

I love a lot of old systems, but these days my classic computer hardware focus is A8 and VIC-20. I enjoy many things about both systems and get a lot of fun out of them.

There are a few days a year that I miss having a TRS-80 Modell III or 4, an Apple //c, and a Macintosh Plus. I love the physical appearance of those systems. At this point it isn't worth reacquiring, repair, and maintenance for the few times each year I want to actually use them. Emulation has been doing a great job satisfying my occasional need to play with anything other than the A8 and VIC.

It's a nice machine! I didn't realise until I owned one how close it was to the MSX / Memotech - using the same graphics as the TI.

One thing that hadn't occurred to me at first when I started collecting is that I'm going to have to develop some electronics skill to repair, recap etc these old machines as they deteriorate. I had to change the motherboards in my two Mac LCs and made my Spectrum 48Ks composite video but that's my limit right now.

I think I've shown most of my machines working on Instagram by now.

I hardly ever used my Sord or the Jupiter Ace, just collected them as we sold them at Maplin, as for repairs, working for an electronics company helped a load but I was never an electronics person, ram upgrades and some construction was my personal limit.

These days its the one thing that does concern me, if one of these old boys decides to die I doubt I'd be able to a. get the parts or B. do the repair.

• Like 1