IGNORED

Are you multi-platform

Atari-Collector

See the signature as to what systems I have. My plan is to eventually have a room to display and use my systems but currently I only have one system out (Falcon) but since I just got my ti994/a, I've recently been dragging that out to learn more about it.

I collect mostly for nostalgia but I also feel it's important to keep the history alive.

I wish I had more disposable cash but all of my systems have been either gifts or rescues. What I would love to add to my collections an Atari 8-bit, for one. An original 800, since that was my first, and maybe an 800xl for use or a 130xe, which was my second system. Outside of an Atari, an Apple ][e (first computer at school) and the Commodores (PET (first system I used), VIC 20, and C64). I'd also love to get a TRS80 Model III. My grandma had one of these and I just love the ol' school look ol' these.

I have to hang my head low for one of my past systems that I lost due to my own neglect years before I really started to get into collecting. That was a Compaq Portable. It wasn't in great shape but I had taken the case off and the wife accidentally ran over it. I loved that it had a green screen.

• Like 1

I used to collect a lot of different machines but lost most of them in a fire back in September.
My Atari 800 with incognito board, loaded IIgs, Apple II+, Franklin Ace, Oric, VZ-200, MC-10, CoCo 3, my original CoCo 1, NEC Trek, Aquarius, Amiga 1200, TDP-100, JR-200, ADAM, PS2, NES, XBOX 360, etc... all gone along with SD drives, monitors and several work in progress hardware and software projects. I also lost over 100 game carts (a conservative estimate).
I even lost my DE1 FPGA development kit.
I might buy a new DE1 or similar FPGA board but I'm done collecting machines..

Technically I'm one of those 'C64 troublemakers' having grown up with a c64 and then broadened out when things were cheap on ebay, but if I were to class myself as anything it would be '6502 fan'

even then that's a pretty loose rule as I'm partial to a bit of z80, 68K and ARM

• Like 1

I collect everything, although I've slowed down considerably in the last year for a combination of reasons. And my original "classic" computer was actually the Commodore 64, so I started with that and branched out from there. Offhand I've got:

Apple IIe (several, actually)
Apple IIe Platinum
Apple IIc
Atari 400
Atari 800
Atari 600XL
Atari 800XL (has video issues IIRC)
Atari XEGS (I usually file this one under "consoles" but oh well)
Atari 520ST
Aquarius
Commodore VIC-20
Commodore 64
Commodore Plus/4 (bad TED chip)
Compaq Portable (luggable 286)
IBM 5150
IBM RT
TI99/4a
TRS-80 Model I
Tandy 2 (custom rebadged TRS-80 Model II)
TRS-80 Color Computer
TRS-80 Color Computer 2
Tandy Color Computer 3
TRS-80 MC-10
Timex/Sinclair 1000
Sinclair ZX80 (PAL)
Sinclair ZX81

I've also got some random 386 laptop from around 1991, a Laser 128 that's not 100%, a Macintosh SE with a bad hard drive, and the ECS computer adapter for the Intellivision, if that counts. :-D

In addition to my various Ataris I got a C128D after listening to Retrobits (and always finding it interesting for its 'triple soul' of C64/C128/CP/M and probably being the last new 8-bit design). I even got some upgrades and a monitor for it but they all await installation.

Very recently I received an Amiga 600, Mac LCIII and a MegaDrive(Genesis) saved from the trash bin by a relative. They also await setup.

Besides those there are a couple of HP programmable calcs in my life ;-)

With more space and money I'd be severely tempted to buy an Apple II or IIgs and a Vectrex, a BBC Micro, a Jupiter Ace and a ZX81 and/or Spectrum but then I don't find enough time to use my existing machines.....

Multi platform, and multi within platform :D

(Computers)
Apple IIc / Apple IIe / Apple IIe Platinum / Apple IIGS / Apple Powerbook 160 / Apple Powerbook Duo 2300c
Atari MegaSTE4 / Atari 1040ST / Atari Stacy 4 / Atari 1200XL / Atari 130XE / Atari 800 / Atari 800XL / Atari Falcon '030 / Atari Portfolio
Commodore 128 / Commodore 64 / Commodore 64C / Commodore Amiga 1200 / Commodore Amiga 500 / Commodore SX-64 / Commodore Vic 20
Texas Instruments 99/4A
Timex Sinclair 1000 / Timex Sinclair 1500 / Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2
1chip MSX / minimig Amiga FPGA / MiST FPGA

I am pretty unorganised and am not sure exactly what I have though I would like to find out soon.

I think I may have:

2 x 65XE

1 x 130XE

1 x ZX81

1 x ZX Spectrum

3 x C64

1 x PS1

1 x PS2

1 x Wii

1 x GP2X

1 x GP2X Wiz

I gave away around 3 Atari STs as I had problems with space in hauling them and their monitors to Australia.

And perhaps 3 or 4 PCs that I have left (not including those of the missus)

I think I need to consolidate....

I have 2 x 800XL and 1 x 130XE

i also have :

1) Toshiba T3100e/40

2) Toshiba T3200sx

3) Toshiba T5200/100 (2x)

4) Tandy 200 (old notebook from 1984/85) 2x

5) soon 4x Psion 3a

6) Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 (3x)

7) Panasonic Toughbook Cf-M34 (10x) with touchscreen

8) Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 mark 3 with touchscreen

9) Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 mark 2 with touchscreen

10) Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 mark 3 with touchscreen

11) Compaq Armada 1592 + more of the 1500 series (about 5 x)

12) compaq Contura 430 (5x)

13) Compaq Armada 1700+1750 (2x)

14) Panasonic Toughbook CF-71

15) Dell Lattitude Csx

16) Ollivetti Echos

17) Compaq (first laptop with touchscreen) from the 80s or 90s.

and some more 50+ old laptops

Consoles and handhelds:

1) Playstation 2 with memor32 card (to play copied games)

2) SNES

3) Atari Lynx

4) Nintendo GBA with (illegal) card to play hundreds of games

I collect laptops and also like to play on my old Atari 8bit system.

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

I have various Commodore systems but no software for any of them. Probably going to work on trying to sell the locally later this year too. Randy Kindig said he wants to try and do a convention here in indy this year and I told him I'd help with organizing and even cough up some of the up-front cash when he finds a venue, hoping he (or we) get that going and maybe I can unload the Commodore stuff there "make an offer" style. I just can't be bothered packing and listing it all online for sale haha.

I primarily had Commodore machines on the computer side growing up, but was always fascinated by other platforms and started to collect them by the late 80s. As I've gotten older and gainfully employed, I've been able to satisfy that almost primal urge I've always had to experience as much of this type of technology as possible. Today, counting consoles, computers, portables, etc., I have close to 500 systems from all regions. I can't say I recommend that type of thing for all people since it becomes impractical to use it all except on a very infrequent basis, but it is nice to have the perspective of first-hand usage, particularly for things that were out of reach in previous decades for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Why darling, it's just two Sinclairs, a Vectrex and a little Apple II setup....look how small that monochrome monitor is. I'd understand if Bill's wife complains, him having 500 machines, but for you with my miserly 20....

Must try if that works ......;)

Forgot a Game Gear in my previous list.

Here's my list:

1980: TRS-80 Model III
Apple II Plus
1981: Vic 20
TI-99/4A (2)
1982: Atari 1200XL
Commodore 64
Kaypro II
1983: Atari 600XL
Atari 800XL (4)
TRS-80 Model 100
1984: Apple IIc (2)
IBM Portable PC 5155
1985: Amiga 1000
Kaypro "New 2"
1986: Commodore 128
Colour Computer III
1987: Amiga 500 (3)
Mac SE (2)
Compaq Portable III
1988: Amiga 2000HD
1990: Amiga 3000
NeXTstation
1991: Mac Classic II
1992: Amiga 4000
1993: SGI Indy

Some of them were free or very cheap, so I got them even though I wasn't specifically looking to get them. If I had to trim down my collection, I'd keep my Amiga 500 (with Viper 520, CF, 2Mb chip), my 800XL with SDnuxx, my TRS-80 Model 100 with SD reader and the Kaypros (nice glowing green-screen).

I also have a collection of vintage computer keyboards. I'm typing this using a 1980 IBM 3278 beam spring keyboard, by the way. There's a picture of it in my Gallery.

Oops - I forgot I gave away the 1200XL.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500
  • Like 1

loaded IIgs

Apple IIGS

Of all the machines we used to get in, this was the one I had the hardest time passing by. We had several complete, pristine Woz signature models come in, and many others.

There never was a lot of software available for the IIGS side of the machine, but there's still enough to make it entertaining and worthwhile. A unique machine that's very upgradable, compatible with Macintosh ADB devices, has a Mac-like GUI, and of course compatible with the huge Apple II library. One of the best retro-machines out there in my opinion.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

The only other 8-bit machine that wasn't an Atari I've owned is an Osborne I. It died a while back and I wasn't real successful repairing it unfortunately.

I have some other non-intel stuff still though.... I have some DEC VAX gear, some Sun gear and an old SGI Indy in the closet heh

I actually fire up the VAX from time to time. It's a small QBUS model, a 4000/200. Doubles as a nightstand/heater.

• Like 1

On the subject of other hardware, when I went to college in 1984 the school had 80 column serial terminals screens hooked up to the unix system. These things made the same "chirp" sound for key clicks as the Atari 800. The keyboard had some similarity, too. Anyone know what it was??? I have a vague recollection of DEC, but that could just be residual memory of something later in the Air Force.

On the subject of other hardware, when I went to college in 1984 the school had 80 column serial terminals screens hooked up to the unix system. These things made the same "chirp" sound for key clicks as the Atari 800. The keyboard had some similarity, too. Anyone know what it was??? I have a vague recollection of DEC, but that could just be residual memory of something later in the Air Force.

Probably TVI-925 terminals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleVideo

We had those connecting to an IBM Mainframe running CMS and the Dec Vax running VMS.

My old amber screen DEC VT220 chirps when a key is pressed. It'll do 132 column text as well but most left it at 80. I'm pretty sure the VT420 chirps as well. There's an option to turn it off or on with most DEC serial terminals I'm pretty sure.

DEC was around for a long time.... the gubmint bought plenty of the later Alpha machines too which could run UNIX, VMS or Windows NT and those machines would often have a terminal plugged in as a serial console. I still use my VT220 fairly often.

My old amber screen DEC VT220 chirps when a key is pressed. It'll do 132 column text as well but most left it at 80. I'm pretty sure the VT420 chirps as well. There's an option to turn it off or on with most DEC serial terminals I'm pretty sure.

DEC was around for a long time.... the gubmint bought plenty of the later Alpha machines too which could run UNIX, VMS or Windows NT and those machines would often have a terminal plugged in as a serial console. I still use my VT220 fairly often.

Yeah, the DEC Alpha was a pretty awesome machine for its time.

If I recall correctly, the Alpha bus technology was purchased by Compaq and the Alpha CPU technology was purchased by Intel.

Interestingly enough, that's around the time of the Pentium Pro (and later the PII and PIII). Soon after, dual and quad CPU PCs started to appear on the market.

Coincidence... ?

Yeah, the DEC Alpha was a pretty awesome machine for its time.

If I recall correctly, the Alpha bus technology was purchased by Compaq and the Alpha CPU technology was purchased by Intel.

Interestingly enough, that's around the time of the Pentium Pro (and later the PII and PIII). Soon after, dual and quad CPU PCs started to appear on the market.

Coincidence... ?

Actually, AMD got a lot of Alpha engineers but some migrated to Intel as well (especially Intel's XScale ARM line). The original AMD Athlon had more in common with the Alpha than the Pentium Pro or Pentium II.

DEC never had a multicore Alpha but they had LOTS of multiPROCESSOR Alphas and a better interconnect between the CPU's and RAM than available on multiprocessor x86 machines at the time. As far as multiproc PC's go.... I had a dual-processor 90MHz Pentium. SMP has been around a LONG time. The big bottleneck was RAM for the most part in those days.

The Alpha didn't die quickly. It was around until about 2003ish until they tried to push Itanic on everyone which was an inferior architecture.

I can't even begin to list how many machines that I have owned in the past, or how many times I've had to part with machines that I really didn't want to, due to lack of space, so here is what I have now...

Atari 800 (1)

Atari 800XL (1)

Atari 600XL (1)

Commodore 64C (1)

Commodore VIC-20 (1)

There have been countless others and I miss them all, but I don't have as much time to play and enjoy as I used to. Now, my son (who turns 13 today)... that's a different story! My son's collection is as follows:

Commodore 64 (1)

Commodore SX-64 (1)

Commodore VIC-20 (2)

TI-99/4a (3)

And he's trying to talk me out of my 800XL! I may just let him... he doesn't have an Atari yet, and my 600XL is 64K, so it'll be one less machine for my wife to say something about. LOL

• Like 1