IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

Here are my times for this past week (February 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:

Galaxian - 29 min.

Toki - 80 min.

This week I played two arcade games. After seeing the news on the Atariage home page that a prototype of Toki on the Atari 7800 was found, I played the arcade version of it and compared it with some other ports on Youtube. One port that wasn't mentioned in the comparison here is the Commodore 64 port by Ocean which was actually one of the few C64 cartridges produced in the early 90s (so that it would also be playable on the C64 game system), but it didn't come at a higher price than a disk version. I played the arcade version repeatedly until I beat the first stage, then I continued the game with continues until I got to the 3rd boss which I didn't manage to beat.

Then I listened to an old tape recorded back in 1980 with a portable cassette recorder when my parents and I went to the SCS, one of the first malls around Vienna, where Klatu the Robot was to appear (it basically turned out to be a remote-controlled man-sized robot). In the mall there also was a Galaxian arcade machine at one of the lounges, and when we got there, the repair man just left and left us with about 15 credits to burm. This was my first contact with Galaxian, and we all played it. After my father plays, you can hear him claim that you just would have to learn the attack pattern by heart in order to avoid all the attacks. Hearing this on the tape now somehow intreagued me and I went to check if there is actually a pattern or logic to the attacks in Galaxian. Turned out that it isn't that simple, but there are basically four types of Galaxians (each with a different color), and each type more or less behaves the same way each time it attacks, except for the "melee" phase where they all behave the same and don't rejoin the convoy anymore. I then played the game to see if this is true and if that knowledge helps me to do better on the game. At least I reached the extra live score of 7,000 points once.

• Like 2

Yes, I am. I didn't made to Level 8 on Kaboom!

I obtained the following scores on 2600 High Score Club:

1. 810 during the Atari 2600 Knockout Tournament in 2012 (Round 15)
  2. 1287 on 2600 OLD HSC Season 8, Week 5 (Variety Pack 1)

On HighScore.com, I posted the following scores on Kaboom:

1. 10 inside Activision Anthology (Gameboy Advance Emulated)
  2. 111 on Atari 2600 Emulated Difficulty B/Novice
  3. 165 on Atari 2600 Emulated Difficulty A/Expert

Did you have decent paddles? I can't play with any confidence if the paddles are just a little off.

Did you have decent paddles? I can't play with any confidence if the paddles are just a little off.

When I had Dactari Video Game Console in the 1980s (Brazilian Version of Atari 2600), I DIDN'T had paddles; I had joysticks only.

The same Dactari Joystick I used to play games on MSX computer which I had in 1990.

To play Paddle Games on Stella Emulator which I'm using currently, I use Mouse to emulate paddles.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

86 more minutes of Silent Service NES :) finished all the missions :)

I admire your endurance. Now play the C64 version and wonder what the hell Nintendo was thinking when they approved that horrible NES port :).

I played the hell out of the C64 version. Finished all war patrols on difficulty 3 out of 4 with all realism options switched on. It feels... well, realistic. You actually have to use typical submarine tactics.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

NES:

Jimmy Connors Tennis - 287 min.

King's Knight - 4 min.

Racket Attack - 240 min.

Rally Bike - 2 min.

Target: Renegade - 38 min.

3DO:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S - 2 min.

Bonogurashi - 15 min.

Dragon Tycoon Edge - 2 min.

EMIT Vol. 2 - 3 min.

EMIT Vol. 3 - 2 min.

Family Feud - 7 min.

Ghost Hunter Series: The Mask of Black Death (Kurokishi no Kamen) - 2 min.

Grand Chef of the Kingdom (Oukoku no Grand Chef) - 5 min.

Macaroni Houren Shou Interactive - 3 min.

Mad Dog McCree - 45 min.

Nemurenu Yoru no Chiisana Ohanashi - 10 min.

The Tower - 5 min.

Beat Racket Attack and Jimmy Connors Tennis this week, the latter on Beginner and Advanced difficulty (skipping Intermediate). Thoughts on those, and Top Players' Tennis, here.

Beating Jimmy Connors Tennis also means that, by some standards, I've beaten every tennis game released in America for the NES, including the two unlicensed games (Quattro Sports and Rad Racket). However, I haven't beaten the original first-party Tennis title on the harder difficulties -- only on Level 1 -- so that one doesn't really count yet.

Beyond that, only two more NES/Famicom tennis games are left that I know of: the horrid PAL-exclusive Rackets & Rivals, and the excellent Japanese exclusive Family Tennis. I've actually beaten Family Tennis in emulation with savestates, but I need to re-beat it fair and square; I also worked on a translation patch for it some time ago. At the moment it doesn't appear that there are any other Japanese-exclusive Famicom tennis games.

FWIW I'm also close to completing the Genesis front, with only a couple games left: I haven't beaten IMG International Tour Tennis, and haven't beaten the career mode in Davis Cup Tennis. I'd also like to re-beat Andre Agassi Tennis without losing a match, to get the best ending (I went 12-1 on my previous effort, losing in the first round of the French). There's also a Davis Cup 2 prototype I need to play, and a couple hidden modes in the Pete Sampras games.

Phew! Other than that I tried out a bunch of random 3DO games -- mostly Japanese exclusives I probably won't be able to play without learning the language -- and started working on beat-'em-up Target: Renegade.

• Like 3

I broke out a new set of paddles and have already beaten last week's high score. LOL They are from at.games and they're kind of stiff, but once you get used to them they work

great.

I think I will still try to play less this week unless I get a really high score in which case I will be playing for a longer period of time obviously.

• Like 2

Sweet! A sincere request, which you can decline if you like but I'd be grateful if you'd accept: go register for NintendoAge, and post your victory here. You'll be their new favorite person -- seriously.

Tried to but keep getting this message:

We're not accepting any new users at this point. Please come back another time.

I'll try again later

• Like 1

^Whoa! I'll count that with next week's stats.

And speaking of stats, here's the summary for Week 7, running from February 9 - 15. We logged 2323 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 53 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:
1. Silent Service (NES/Famicom) - 365
2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321
3. Jimmy Connors Tennis (NES/Famicom) - 287
4. Racket Attack (NES/Famicom) - 240
5. Mr. Do! (Atari 2600) - 132
6. Papa Smurf in Pac-Land [hack of Ms. Pac-Man] (Atari 7800) - 90
7. Toki (Arcade) - 80
8. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 75
9. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PlayStation) - 69
10. Pac-Man (Game Boy) - 60
Pre-NES top 10:
1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321
2. Mr. Do! (Atari 2600) - 132
3. Papa Smurf in Pac-Land [hack of Ms. Pac-Man] (Atari 7800) - 90
4. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 75
5. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600) - 31
6. Galaxian (Arcade) - 29
7. Stack 'Em (Intellivision) - 26
8. Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600) - 20
9. Activision Decathlon (Atari 2600) - 15
9. Kung Fu Master (Atari 7800) - 15
Top 10 systems:
1. NES/Famicom (1065)
2. Atari 2600 (608)
3. Arcade (139)
4. Game Boy (110)
5. Atari 7800 (105)
6. 3DO (101)
7. PlayStation (69)
8. Genesis (39)
9. SNES (37)
10. Intellivision (29)
The NES runs away with the system charts, but it's a close battle in the individual Top 10, with submarine sim Silent Service edging out the unemulatable Kaboom.
  • Like 3

2600 Frogger total about 13 hours

Now... THAT explains your awesome score in the HSC! And I thought I played a lot, hehe...

@ thegoldenband: Just in case Frogger isn't yet in the 1000 minute club (which it bloody well should, since it's such an adorable game), Hyperboy and I will make sure it will. I'll post times on Saturday :-).

• Like 1

Atari 2600

Freeway: 41 min

Frogger: 219 min

Pitfall!: 42 min

Wipeout 2600: 7 min

HSC galore. I had some time for a change, so I used it wisely. By playing Atari. Wipeout 2600 is a homebrew in development. I helped a little with playtesting. Thread and game for download: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234985-wipeout-2600/

Game Boy Classic

Bust-A-Move 3DX: 15 min

Lucky Luke: 3 min

Flea market finds. Lucky Luke, like so many other licensed titles, sucks.

• Like 2

Genesis:

Streets of Rage 2. (1.5 hours)

Neo Geo:

Magicial Lord. (1.5 hours) Do you distinguish between AES/MVS? Because technically I played it in MAME, which would make it the MVS version. MAME has good Neo Geo emulation for anyone that's interested.

Arcade:

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. (1.5 hours) I thought this was part 2, but apparently it's not called that for some reason. Good use of scaling in this game. What quarter-sucker this was. This would have been a good game to port over to the SegaCD, but I guess the marketing people thought the gamers wanted Night Trap instead.

• Like 2