IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

Atari Jaguar:

Breakout 2000 - 75 min.

Atari ST:

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - 50 min.

Crazy Cars III (Lamborghini American Challenge) - 10 min.

Philips CD-I:

Mad Dog II: The Lost Gold - 15 min.

Thunder in Paradise (the Game) - 15 min.

Thunder in Paradise (the Episode) - 67 mins.

Bought a light gun for the CD-i and tried out a few games. Had trouble getting the gun to calibrate so I didn't play them very long. Also watched the movie that comes with Thunder in Paradise and it was horrible. You know you have a bad movie when Hulk Hogan and the kid from Step by Step are the best actors in it.

Thunder in Paradise on CDi. Awesome. This thread is awesome. :)

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from March 2 - March 8. We logged 2005 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 34 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 427

2. Destiny of an Emperor (NES/Famicom) - 395

3. Grinch, The (Dreamcast) - 143

4. Seaman (Dreamcast) - 141

5. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600) - 115

6. Double Dragon (Atari 7800) - 109

7. Snow Job (3DO) - 90

8. Thunder in Paradise (Philips CD-i) - 82

9. BattleSport (3DO) - 77

10. Breakout 2000 (Atari Jaguar) - 75

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 427

2. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600) - 115

3. Double Dragon (Atari 7800) - 109

4. Worm War I (Atari 2600) - 68

5. Superman (Atari 2600) - 30

5. Planet Smashers (Atari 7800) - 30

7. Space Cavern (Atari 2600) - 20

8. CrossForce (Atari 2600) - 10

8. Beach Head (Commodore 16 & Plus/4) - 10

10. Fantastic Voyage (Atari 2600) - 8

10. Formula 1 Simulator (Commodore 16 & Plus/4) - 8

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (700)

2. NES/Famicom (408)

3. Dreamcast (329)

4. 3DO (167)

5. Atari 7800 (142)

6. Philips CD-i (97)

7. Atari Jaguar (75)

8. Atari ST (50)

9. Commodore 16 & Plus/4 (24)

10. PC (DOS) (13)

Don't call it a comeback! Or a moobaK, for that matter, as our beloved bucket blaster gets #1 across the board.

• Like 3

ATARI 2600:

Defender - 76 minutes

I played it on Game 10 (Child Difficulty) just to have fun.

ATARI 7800:

Planet Smashers - 247 minutes in several sessions

One of my TOP 7800 favorite games. I'm the first Atari Age Member who completed this game on 7800 High Score Club.

Planet Smashers Contest made me want to play on several variations: Easy with 1 life only, Hard with 1 life only, and Hard Regular (all lives).

Video 1: Easy and 1-life run - 1,409,825 points just to have fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnjsU18cOI

Video 2: Hard and Regular Run (all lives) - 1,159,550 points

Video 3: Hard and 1-life run - 1,226,300 points (statistical table included)

post-24681-0-52457300-1426415932_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

Atari 2600

Haunted House: 5 min

Superman: 20 min

Little bit of HSC. Nothing else. Instead, I rummaged round in my PC collection and dug out...

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter 1: 297 min.

Love this game. I started a new campaign with the aim to play through the whole Pacific War on 100% realism with an old S-class sub. Ah well... after three patrols they offered me the command of a P-class, and I took it. I played through this game often enough to know that 200 ft test depth (S-class) isn't enough later in the war.

Silent Hunter 1 is a masterpiece. Perfect balance while still challenging. You wanna run right into a convoi and just fire away - you're in trouble. You do need real submarine tactics to be successful, especially when you set realism to any decent number. Way better game than Silent Hunter 2, which is an awkward attempt to get more realism into a sub sim where none is needed. Also, the pixel graphics of SH1 work much better than the early 3D raphics of SH2.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:

Polyplay: Schiessbude - 31 min.

Polyplay: Autorennen - 5 min.

This week I've played an arcade game from the former GDR, Polyplay. It actually consists of 8 built-in games, and you can select which game you'd like to play before inserting a coin (yes, it was that way in the actual arcade machine). I've played two of the games, Schiessbude and Autorennen. Schiessbude is a Carnival clone with a few changes... all that gets replenished is ducks, the other objects don't get replenished once you've shot them all. Also there's not that much strategy involved, and there are no rounds... the game just keeps on serving more ducks and getting faster and faster even after you've cleared the board. So there's also no bear stage and no music, just the possibility to shoot multiplicator fields to bump up the value of the things you shoot.

Autorennen is a top-view auto racing game similar to Indy 500.

The actual machine hardware was a rather 8-bit system. You had no sprites, just a 32x64 grid of 8x8 tiles. There are 128 monochrome, fixed tiles and 128 multicolor, redefinable ones (each pixel can have any of 8 colors). Oh, and there's two sound channels, but they only seem to be able to emit variable tones which are either on or off, no volume control. This whole graphical setup reminds me a bit of Casio's video game console which works similarly.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (March 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:

Polyplay: Schiessbude - 31 min.

Polyplay: Autorennen - 5 min.

This week I've played an arcade game from the former GDR, Polyplay. It actually consists of 8 built-in games, and you can select which game you'd like to play before inserting a coin (yes, it was that way in the actual arcade machine). I've played two of the games, Schiessbude and Autorennen. Schiessbude is a Carnival clone with a few changes... all that gets replenished is ducks, the other objects don't get replenished once you've shot them all. Also there's not that much strategy involved, and there are no rounds... the game just keeps on serving more ducks and getting faster and faster even after you've cleared the board. So there's also no bear stage and no music, just the possibility to shoot multiplicator fields to bump up the value of the things you shoot.

Autorennen is a top-view auto racing game similar to Indy 500.

The actual machine hardware was a rather 8-bit system. You had no sprites, just a 32x64 grid of 8x8 tiles. There are 128 monochrome, fixed tiles and 128 multicolor, redefinable ones (each pixel can have any of 8 colors). Oh, and there's two sound channels, but they only seem to be able to emit variable tones which are either on or off, no volume control. This whole graphical setup reminds me a bit of Casio's video game console which works similarly.

Fascinating. There's a video of it up on YouTube:

This one looks like a Carnival clone:

• Like 1

My times for the week:

NES:
Destiny of an Emperor - 492 min.
3DO:
Battlesport - 38 min.
Burning Soldier - 90 min.
N64:
All-Star Tennis '99 - 20 min.
Blues Brothers 2000 - 4 min.
Charlie Blast's Territory - 1 min.
Excitebike 64 - 5 min.
F-1 World Grand Prix - 3 min.
F1 Pole Position 64 - 3 min.
Iggy's Reckin' Balls - 9 min.
Lode Runner 64 - 3 min.
Superman 64 - 14 min.
PlayStation:
Akuji the Heartless - 16 min.
G-Police - 11 min.
Invasion from Beyond - 3 min.
Time Commandos - 3 min.
Tiny Tank - 10 min.
Dreamcast:
Expendable - 10 min.
The Grinch - 23 min.
Rippin' Riders - 15 min.
Seaman - 128 min.
Getting close on Destiny of an Emperor, with only one foe remaining between me and the end of the game.
I also made it to the final boss of Burning Soldier for 3DO on Hard mode, but had to give up before my arm fell off, since you have to fire insane numbers of shots just to stand a chance. This prompted me to order a turbo controller -- no sense in injuring myself.
Otherwise, it was a couple more opponents in Battlesport, a few more inane questions and obscure petulances (plus a creepy sex scene) from Seaman, a small amount of head-scratching in The Grinch, and a quick run through the Tournament mode of All-Star Tennis '99 for the sake of the NintendoAge N64 beat-'em-all.
Finally, there's a new game store in town, and I traded in a bunch of extra stuff, resulting in a nice pile of new acquisitions for N64, PlayStation, and Dreamcast to try out. However, I was very disappointed to discover that Charlie Blast's Territory is just a reskinned version of The Bombing Islands. Also, one of the PlayStation games (either Akuji or G-Police) gave me motion sickness, which has never happened to me with a PS1 game before.
  • Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 11, running from March 9 - 15. We logged 2227 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 30 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 583

2. Destiny of an Emperor (NES/Famicom) - 492

3. Silent Hunter 1 (PC (DOS)) - 297

4. Planet Smashers (Atari 7800) - 287

5. Seaman (Dreamcast) - 128

6. Burning Soldier (3DO) - 90

7. Defender (Atari 2600) - 76

8. BattleSport (3DO) - 38

9. Superman (Atari 2600) - 35

10. Polyplay: Schiessbude (Arcade) - 31

Pre-NES top 10:

Not enough entries for a top 10. (Kaboom would be #1.)

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (699)

2. NES/Famicom (492)

3. PC (DOS) (297)

4. Atari 7800 (287)

5. Dreamcast (176)

6. 3DO (128)

7. N64 (62)

8. PlayStation (43)

9. Arcade (36)

10. Tandy MC-10 (7)

In a relatively quiet week, our top 2 games and platforms remain the same.

Meanwhile, second-place contestant Destiny of an Emperor becomes badgeholder #147 in the 1000-minute club, with 1398 minutes logged to date.

• Like 3

Amiga 1200:

Tracker Hero AGA - 50 min.

This game exists in both ECS (Amiga 500+/600/3000) and AGA (1200/4000) versions. I can't recall if the game tracker keeps OCS, ECS and AGA entries apart (in practise it should, but not everyone would mention when they played an AGA version game). For some reason, I get random font glitches if I have my 030 expansion plugged in, errors that disappear if I run my 1200 in vanilla mode. The game itself supports keyboard or PSX64 connected guitar, which I fortunately own. Not sure if it any more playable/fun than e.g. Shredz64, although of course both graphics and sound are much prettier on Amiga 1200 than on a C64.

Super Cassette Vision:

Kung-Fu Road - 9 min.

Miner 2049er - 8 min.

Pop & Chips - 8 min.

Wheelie Racer - 19 min.

It took 6 weeks to get those games from Japan using SAL shipping. Supposedly that is relatively fast, but next time I'll put in a few dollars more and get it sent by air mail. The games themselves look and sound good, but when compared to Nintendo Famicom or even Sega SG-1000, they pale a little. The fifth game in my batch is Milky Princess, but I don't know enough Japanese to know how to play it, so I don't count any minutes of play time on that one.

Tandy MC-10:

Flipull - 6 min.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Atari 2600

Astroblast: 5 min

Space Cavern: 51 min

Xenophobe: 8 min

Mega Drive

Golden Axe: 10 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 205 min

Game Boy Classic

Brainbender: 2 min

Ghostbusters 2: 4 min

Kingdom Crusade: 5 min

Game Boy Color

Commander Keen: 3 min

Some variety this week. High Score Club, some new acquisitions in test runs, and one quick playthrough of Golden Axe on easy with the 12 year old neighbour's nephew. And not enough Silent Hunter. So many war patrols, so little time...

• Like 2

ATARI 2600:

1) Assault - 10 minutes

post-24681-0-18837000-1427020155_thumb.png

2) Cat Trax - 10 minutes.

Highest score 17,300 points

post-24681-0-59945600-1427019577_thumb.png

3) Demolition Herby - 30 minutes

post-24681-0-85343800-1427020163_thumb.png

4) Megamania - 10 minutes.

Highest score 93,750 points on Game 3 - Straight Missiles and Single Fire

post-24681-0-21909000-1427019519_thumb.png post-24681-0-63001100-1427019523_thumb.png

5) Space Cavern - 60 minutes. I chose this game as a Silver Medalist.

Highest score 157,885 points, for 2600 NEW HSC Season 4, Week 9. My goal is 100,000 points.

ATARI 7800:

Planet Smashers - 230 minutes in several sessions

Highest score: 2,020,275 points on Easy Difficulty.

Friends, Planet Smashers is irresistible for me and consequently the NUMBER ONE in my preference on Atari 7800.

My TOP 5 favorite games on 7800 are Planet Smashers, Rampage, Dark Chambers, Xenophobe and Pac-Man Collection.

post-24681-0-40015300-1427019541_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

Here are my times for this past week:

Commodore 64:

William Wobbler - 84 min. in 2 sessions

William Wobbler is a scrolling jump'n'run game by Anthony Crowther. It has got a fairly big map which is non-linear in that there are ten "caves" you get into by jumping into one of ten craters on the surface, and even though the craters are about one screen apart, the caves are much bigger than that. Your goal is to collect ten "clues". The problem is that that you have to collect them in a certain order. First off, one cave contains an item which you have to carry in order to be able to accomplish anything in any of the nine other caves... and you first have to find the proper cave because their order is randomized on every game start. Once you found that first cave, you still have to visit the other caves in a certain order because there are keys and items in some of them which you have to employ in a specific other cave in order to get further. It's nerve-wrecking, and you only have one life. It's no wonder that this game is not very popular. There's not even a Youtube gameplay video of it, only a snippet inside a Youtube compilation. And there's a map of the Spectrum version, but I doubt it's the same as the C-64 version.

• Like 2

Add 105 minutes of Planet Smashers (Atari 7800). I played more 3 attempts just for fun.

I got my new high score on Easy Difficulty and Perfect Game, i.e., I completed the entire game without losing any life.

Check out the video presented below and a new Statistical Table (details of my gameplay).

post-24681-0-63903700-1427059178_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

My times for the week:

NES:

Back to the Future II & III - 1 min.

Destiny of an Emperor - 230 min.

Shingen the Ruler - 2 min.

Genesis:

Marsupilami - 330 min.

N64:

Virtual Chess 64 - 51 min.

Dreamcast:

Seaman - 92 min.

Beat Destiny of an Emperor towards the start of the week. I also beat Marsupilami on Easy and Medium difficulties, getting the best ending on the latter run, but haven't beaten Hard yet.

Otherwise my wife and I continued to have no luck getting our moody amphibious offspring in Seaman to help us move a rock and start the game's next phase. I hoped feeding him twice a day might speed things up, but no dice, though at least Leonard Nimoy's intro finally told us that he was "comfortable" rather than in desperate need of food or warmth.

Finally, I played a few games of Virtual Chess 64, and while I beat the game's two Beginner levels with ease, I managed to throw away an easy win on the lowest "real" difficulty level. Something about the game makes me rush -- I think it's the terrible interface, with a cursor that never quite does what it should.

• Like 2