IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

My times for the week:

Famicom Disk System:
Konamic Tennis - 42 min.
Game Boy:
Top Rank Tennis - 36 min.
N64:
All-Star Baseball '99 - 119 min.
Chopper Attack - 155 min.
South Park - 634 min.
Beat South Park, which sports one of the more frustrating final bosses I've encountered in recent memory.
Next, a quickie victory for NintendoAge over All-Star Baseball '99. Playing as the Yankees on Veteran difficulty, I skipped the regular season and went straight to the World Series against the Expos...with 1-inning games. :D If I didn't score immediately it went to "extra" innings, though, so I restarted the game if I either fell behind or, in Games 3 & 4 (when I was the visiting team), didn't score in my initial set of at-bats.
I also played through the first 5 levels of Chopper Attack on Normal difficulty. I messed around with the game's training mode a while ago, but found it confusing; however, the game itself is considerably more appealing, if fairly superficial. Once I clear the two remaining levels of Normal, I'll have to beat the whole thing again on Expert, as there's an eighth, secret level exclusive to that difficulty.
Finally, I played the last Game Boy tennis game I haven't beaten, and messed around with a Famicom Disk System tennis game I hadn't heard of until this week (and am trying my hand at translating from the Japanese).
  • Like 2

It was yet another good week for gaming around here! The misses and I both logged a fair amount of gaming time this week, and here's the figures:

afm1qZJ.jpg

Atari 2600

Centipede - 39 minutes

Frogger - 11 minutes

H.E.R.O. - 195 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 40 minutes

Princess Rescue - 98 minutes

Stargate - 53 minutes

Game Boy Color

Frogger - 6 minutes

Sega Genesis

Castlevania: Bloodlines - 116 minutes

Truxton - 108 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 697 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,363 minutes (22 hours 43 minutes)

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sony PlayStation: 697 minutes

Atari 2600: 436 minutes

Sega Genesis: 224 minutes

Game Boy Color: 6 minutes

In our household the PS1 really dominated the the charts this week. My wife spent a whole heck of a lot of time playing through Resident Evil 3 and the side games several times to unlock everything in the game, and I spent a good couple hours pitching in to help her rack up some money in the Mercenaries side game and unlock a few extra weapons for her. :)

I spent much of my gaming time this week playing some recent Genesis acquisitions, Castlevania: Bloodlines and Truxton. I've been enjoying both a lot, and while I still haven't managed to get past level 4 in Castlevania I was able to beat Truxton just last night! Princess Rescue and H.E.R.O. on the Atari 2600 were also big hits this week, with both my wife and I logging a fair bit of time in H.E.R.O. (she's currently in the lead in our little household high score contest, with a score of 74,335 topping my 71,330) and me finally managing to beat Princess Rescue after months of trying.

Lastly, this week I finally figured out an effective way to play Stargate on the Atari 2600! Having to use the button on the second controller to drop bombs was always cumbersome at best, but with a little creativity I managed to come up with an effective and practical solution for how to manage both controllers at once! As strange as it looks, I swear it works great! :lol:

• Like 3

Intellivision

Lock 'n' Chase - 450 minutes

This game is maddeningly addictive. I'm getting closer to my old high score. My times this week were only from two play sessions. When I play this game, I keep thinking, "One more round!" Before I know it, hours have gone by. Very few games grab me like this these days.

Not a classic game, but Rocket League on PS4 has the same hold on me right now. It has five minute matches, the perfect length to keep thinking of going one more round. It's hard to stop!

• Like 3

My times for the week:

N64:

All-Star Baseball '99 - 119 min.

My favorite baseball game of all time. I have pitched 4 perfect games and 8 non-perfect no-hitters.

I once re-bought an N64 JUST for this game. Resold it later... Reading this post has me wanting to do it all over again. LOL!!!

• Like 1

My favorite baseball game of all time. I have pitched 4 perfect games and 8 non-perfect no-hitters.

I once re-bought an N64 JUST for this game. Resold it later... Reading this post has me wanting to do it all over again. LOL!!!

Nice! I only played for a couple hours, as you can see, but it seemed to play very well and was easy to pick up, and with some nice strategic elements (especially the pitching).

BTW do you get the same one-screen ending for every mode (full season, straight to playoffs, straight to WS) or difficulty?

• Like 1

Remember, your pitchers have 8 pitches... Not just 4. Z button is your friend. :)

Regular season games end one way, playoff games end another, and (IIRC) WS games are different altogether. It has been a few years.

R. Clemens is a beast... Hit the bottom left corner of the strike zone with the Forkball and youre money. I love the pitching because you can start pitches anywhere and drop em out of the zone... Spitballs are ridiculous.

Build your own pitcher with a fast fastball, slow change, and 3-4 wicked breakers and a slider thrown in.

Money

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 30, running from July 20 - 26. We logged 7247 7262 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 68 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Phantasy Star III (Genesis) - 1090

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1070

3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PlayStation) - 697

4. South Park (N64) - 634

5. Lock 'n' Chase (Intellivision) - 450

6. Mangia (Atari 2600) - 294

7. Chaos Engine, The (Amiga) - 275

8. H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600) - 195

9. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (Genesis) - 180

10. Chopper Attack (N64) - 155

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1070

2. Lock 'n' Chase (Intellivision) - 450

3. Mangia (Atari 2600) - 294

4. H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600) - 195

5. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 120

6. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600) - 98

7. Obelix (Atari 2600) - 90

8. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - 61

9. Defender II / Stargate (Atari 2600) - 53

10. Sky Jinks (Atari 2600) - 50

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (2181)

2. Genesis (1804)

3. N64 (908)

4. PlayStation (697)

5. Amiga (583)

6. Intellivision (450)

7. PC (DOS) (140)

8. Vectrex (120)

9. Arcade (65)

10. Game Boy Color (56)

I thought last week was big, but this one is bigger: Week 30 of 2015 is our biggest week of all time, with more minutes logged than ever before! Wow!

The game count and system diversity may not be quite as high as last week, but some major heavy hitters still pushed us to the all-time record. While Kaboom and the VCS take the #1 spot on two of three charts, the Genesis RPG Phantasy Star III manages to edge it out on the Top 10 by only 20 minutes -- a margin of less than 2%!

It's no surprise that Phantasy Star III also gets an instant trip to the 1000-minute club, with 1135 minutes to date -- but astonishingly, three other games do too: the N64 FPS South Park (1121 minutes), the PlayStation survival horror title Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1508 minutes), and the well-regarded Atari 2600 racer Enduro (1018 minutes).

All of these become members #159-162 -- and if things keep up like this, it's going to become a crowded club!

• Like 5

Aha, good catch, thanks for that! I found the error -- I put in zylon's Wolfenstein 3D Jaguar time as 5 minutes instead of 20. :)

And on that note, here's an updated list of our 10 biggest weeks:

1. 2015, Week 30 (7262)
2. 2010, Week 6 (7157)
3. 2012, Week 18 (6762)
4. 2015, Week 29 (6610)
5. 2010, Week 8 (6473)
6. 2012, Week 1 (6451)
7. 2010, Week 5 (6230)
8. 2010, Week 10 (6198)
9. 2015, Week 28 (5901)
10. 2014, Week 27 (5780)
The threshold is getting closer to 6000+ minutes. I wonder if we'll ever break 10,000 in one week?
  • Like 3

I thought last week was big, but this one is bigger: Week 30 of 2015 is our biggest week of all time, with more minutes logged than ever before! Wow!

That's awesome! I am honored to have been able to contribute to the biggest week in the history of the tracker! :D

I always love reading through this thread every week to see what games people around here are playing, because it often reminds me about games I have in my own library that I haven't played in a while and should revisit. This week got me thinking about Pitfall II and Wolfenstein 3D, both of which are great games that I should play more often. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played Wolfenstein 3D past the 4th episode; so maybe I'll have to go back and give it another try sometime this week. :)

• Like 1

If I understood Thegoldenband correctly, ROTK is a low maintenance game that you need to check up on every now and then, not an action packed game like Kaboom! where just one second of lost concentration will have fatal consequences.

On a similar note, I reengaged with Premier Manager on the Amiga yesterday evening and easily sank 3,5 hours into it while chatting on IRC and watching TV at the same time. A minute is a minute, but many of the simulators, management and other types of games will take much less of your concentration than action games do. Actually I can imagine playing two different, slow paced games simultaneously which would make it possible for you to play more minutes than there are in a week, or perhaps the tracker prefers if people only play one game a time? :-P

• Like 2

If I understood Thegoldenband correctly, ROTK is a low maintenance game that you need to check up on every now and then, not an action packed game like Kaboom! where just one second of lost concentration will have fatal consequences.

Exactly. There's no action element whatsoever to ROTK -- it's all turn-based -- and I was using a very cautious, methodical, low-risk strategy to boot. For example, you have the option of delegating control of states to your governors, but I maintained manual control of almost all of them so that I could have them spend 1 gold per turn to slowly improve land values. Had I been less of a micromanager :D I could've saved some time.

On a similar note, I reengaged with Premier Manager on the Amiga yesterday evening and easily sank 3,5 hours into it while chatting on IRC and watching TV at the same time. A minute is a minute, but many of the simulators, management and other types of games will take much less of your concentration than action games do. Actually I can imagine playing two different, slow paced games simultaneously which would make it possible for you to play more minutes than there are in a week, or perhaps the tracker prefers if people only play one game a time? :-P

Ha! Once or twice I've multitasked, especially with chess games where the CPU can think for an hour or more, so I might have a chess game going on an emulated SNES while playing a different game on real hardware. As long as one isn't simply on pause while I play the other one, why not?

And yeah, strategy games can go remarkably well with TV watching, talking on the net or phone, etc. I need to find another Koei game to play while I watch TV with my wife!

• Like 1

Might as well post today, since the weekend will be too busy to play games. Family visiting roundtrip...

Atari 2600

Bugs Bunny: 11 min

Obelix: 5 min

Xevious: 6 min

PC (DOS)

Historyline 1914-18: 975 min

Played a little for the High Score Club, plus Xevious, a proto of which has recently been discovered. A more than okay game considering the hardware limitations, but it's not gonna keep me entertained for longer.

The big number is coming in from World War I. Unable to do anything useful due to a cold and with lots of help from my parents who took care of my kid for the time, I was finally able to tackle the last three maps of the French campaign in a huge marathon. I took longer than I needed to, actually. In the biggest map of all, I made one mistake. It wasn't fatal, but it led to beating the map at least 2 hours later than "normal". I was so pissed off at myself and the game that instead of just taking the enemy's HQ, I deliberately chose to take the tedious route and went for total crushing victory by destroying all remaining enemy units. That added another hour to the map. Unnecessary, but satisfying :grin: .

Anyway. After playing this game for the first time more than 20 years ago, I finally consider it beaten. Thegoldenband, would you be so kind and tell me the total playtime I have accumulated since I started HL some weeks ago? That way, I could make a rough estimate on how much lifetime I spent overall on this game.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 2

Thegoldenband, would you be so kind and tell me the total playtime I have accumulated since I started HL some weeks ago? That way, I could make a rough estimate on how much lifetime I spent overall on this game.

4,391 minutes! Or if you prefer: 3 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes. At the moment that would make it #8 on the all-time list, with Silent Hunter at #7 BTW.

• Like 2

4,391 minutes! Or if you prefer: 3 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes. At the moment that would make it #8 on the all-time list, with Silent Hunter at #7 BTW.

Thanks so much for the info. That's roughly 73 hours for one campaign. And that's with experience on how to beat the maps as quick and efficint as possible. All in all, I would estimate that I spent a total of about 200 to 250 hours on this game since it has been released. The same (or probably even more) goes for Silent Hunter.

• Like 1

I won't be ready to submit my usual weekly report until Sunday night, but in the meantime I do have some rather sad news to report. This week the Vader model Atari 2600 that I have been playing all our Atari 2600 games on ever since I got back into Atari as an adult has died. :_( The modulator along with at least one or two capacitors fried and the console is as dead as doornail. Because of this my video game play time for the week will be substantially lower than usual, but I do have a new Sears Video Arcade II on the way that should arrive mid next week to take the Vader's place. I'll still be holding onto the old dead Vader in the hopes that I can find someone on the AtariAge forum that would do the needed repairs for me if I mailed them the board and paid them for the parts and labor, but with any luck the SVA II will make a good replacement system until I can get the Vader fixed up. Rest in peace Vader, I knew thee well.

• Like 2