IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

Ku-Bert - 2min

Got a bad value error or would have played longer. Seems like it would be fun if finished ;)A bad value error?

A bad value error?

What exactly did you do, or what happened, when that error occured? Maybe I can try to fix it if I know where to look for it... it didn't happen to me during my sessions, I managed to complete two games of it.

• Like 2

Lemme see if I can do it again. I went all the way down on the right than back to top and tried to go down the left when it crashed. Being neglectful I forgot the line it said the error was in.

OK, thank you for that line number. I can see what's going on now... apparently you went further to the top left from the top cube, which would give the sprite a negative coordinate. I tried to catch that error, but it's improperly done. I'll fix it tonight. The code is a bit hard to read because it lacks any comments, probably because back then space was at a premium in the small 16K RAM. By the way, are you using an uncommon version of the TI-99? The font which the error message is written in doesn't look like the regular font appearing in XBasic normally.

• Like 2

It was a pretty huge week for gaming around my household, but for once I actually don't have a mile long list of games and play times to type up this week! :lol:

zHvOHAg.jpg

Game Boy

Boggle Plus - 43 minutes

Game Boy Color

Battleship - 13 minutes

Monopoly - 905 minutes

1942 - 38 minutes

PlayStation

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - 260 minutes

Tomb Raider II - 688 minutes

Sega Genesis

Golden Axe II - 96 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

2,043 minutes (34 hours 3 minutes)

Individual System Play Times This Week

Game Boy Color: 956 minutes

PlayStation: 948 minutes

Sega Genesis: 96 minutes

Game Boy: 43 minutes

In spite of having logged just over 34 hours of play time, there actually weren't a whole lot of different games played here this week. I finally got started playing through Tomb Raider II on the PlayStation like I had been planning on doing for the last few weeks, while my wife ended up trying out Tenchu: Stealth Assassins on the same system. She had Tenchu sitting in her library for the better part of the last year and hadn't played it yet, and after all the frustration she was having with the final GDI mission in Command & Conquer she really needed a break from the RTS genre.

We've both been enjoying our respective PlayStation games, and spent a bit of time taking turns playing Golden Axe II on the Genesis with a friend who came over one afternoon, but what really consumed the bulk of my gaming time this week was the Game Boy Color rendition of the classic board game Monopoly. I've always liked video game takes on tabletop and board games, but I had no idea just how much I was going to love this one when I snagged my copy for a mere $8 on eBay a few weeks ago! After spending an utterly ridiculous amount of time playing Monopoly on the GBC in nearly every spare moment of my free time this week I still just can't seem to put it down. I've only won three of the more than a dozen games I've played, but I feel like every time I play I get a little better and learn to trade properties more effectively so I don't end up getting screwed in the long game. The computer AI has been really enjoyable to play against, and I love how there are 8 distinctly different computer opponents to chose from with their own play styles and how you can choose whether you want to play a 2, 3, or 4 player game. I've been going for 3 player games against the two easiest (I.E. "Most wiling to trade at a loss") computer opponents the majority of the time, but 4 player games with more challenging opponents have been a lot fun too.

I think I could ramble on for a good page and a half or so about how much I love Monopoly for the Game Boy Color, but I'll spare you guys and gals the monologue and just say that I think Monopoly is one game that should be in absolutely every Game Boy Color owner's library! With Monopoly and a Harvest Moon game in your Game Boy collection you'll never lack for a way to pass large swaths of time. lol Lastly, to wrap things up, this week I finally managed to beat 1942 on (you guessed it) the Game Boy Color! Man was I ever stoked to have finally beaten such an iconic shmup title! I think I've kind of made it my mission to acquire and beat every quality vertical scrolling shmup for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, and 1942 was a really fantastic one to add to that list. I think what I enjoyed the most about it was that it was actually substantially less difficult than the arcade version (which I have on my 60-in-1 multicade) and the addition of a password save system was greatly appreciated. I played this one on and off for a few months before I finally beat it, but now that I've finished it I'm really looking forward to going back and playing through it again in the near future. Slightly grating music aside, it's just a wonderful game all around and well worth the somewhat high price that cartridges of it tend to go for. Any shmup fan with a Game Boy Color really owes it to themselves to have a copy of 1942 in their library.

That's all the news that's fit to print for this week! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

To Add:

TI-99/4A:

Aperture (Additional 20 minutes)

St. Nick (Additional 50 minutes)

Henhouse (45 minutes)

Intellivision:

Christmas Carol (Additional 60 minutes)

VCS:

Stay Frosty 2 (Additional 30 minutes)

I am finding both Stay Frosty 2 and Christmas Carol to be EPIC Christmas games... I am not very good at Christmas Carol yet... the difficulty is high right out of the gate, so it takes some pattern-memorizing to get good at it, I suppose. Stay Frosty is a brilliant VCS game and will probably be my first homebrew purchase. I am ALSO seriously considering buying an Intellivision JUST for Christmas Carol.

Anyway, speaking of Christmas games, here is a short tutorial video I made yesterday for "St. Nick," a game for the TI-99/4A that has a BIZARRE premise. Enjoy, and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvraEcbTb00

• Like 5

Ooooh... I didn't even know that went on. :)

That is a seriously awesome game... I have the .exe on my desktop and I cannot help but double click it when I sit down. Even when I should be working on Jedi Gauntlet or debugging the chained Holiday Demo program, I have to play a few round of Christmas Carol. It is a fantastic piece of work.

• Like 3

Throwing my times in before I go back out hunting

Genesis:

Decapattack - 16 minutes

NES:

Air Fortress - 90 minutes

The Magic of Scheherazade - 210 minutes

Sharp X68000:

Cameltry - 10 minutes

Not much for times really. The whole Steam Autumn Sale is back up so I've been playing a ton on my PC, and deer season just starts today (no school because of it, woohoo) so I've been doing other stuff. For what I have played, cameltry is a constant 10+ minutes/week it seems for me just because it's fun enough to pick up and play, and I only have 8 genesis carts so the whole "pick a random one" didn't work out and I just got bored quick. NES-wise, I tried playing Scheherazade again and it's OK, kinda LoZ/Final Fantasy hybrid set in Arabia. Also, Air Fortress came up just because I like that game.

So yeah, not much at all.

• Like 4

I tried playing Scheherazade again and it's OK, kinda LoZ/Final Fantasy hybrid set in Arabia. Also, Air Fortress came up just because I like that game.

So yeah, not much at all.

This sums up that game perfectly to me. I always liked to rent it as a kid, and in my head it's a "great game. Objectively it's... kinda brilliant! The setting is cool, the gameplay ideas are amazing (though not executed perfectly) and it does nothing to grab my attention at all. It's... OK. I feel like if that game had been made maybe slightly later in the NES/Famicom lifespan it may have been executed better and become an unequivocal classic.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 48, running from November 23 - 29. We logged 7651 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 67 games on a total of 22 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis) - 1253

2. Monopoly (Game Boy Color) - 905

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 808

4. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 688

5. Silent Hunter (PC (DOS)) - 465

6. Mario Bros. (Atari 7800) - 360

7. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PlayStation) - 260

8. Magic of Scheherazade, The (NES/Famicom) - 210

9. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 170

10. Tower of Doom (Intellivision) - 157

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 808

2. Mario Bros. (Atari 7800) - 360

3. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 170

4. Tower of Doom (Intellivision) - 157

5. Q*bert (C64) - 124

6. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 90

6. Tunnels of Doom: Quest of the King (TI-99/4A) - 90

8. Q*bert (TI-99/4A) - 85

9. Aperture (TI-99/4A) - 80

10. b*nQ (Atari 7800) - 74

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1385)

2. PlayStation (1055)

3. Game Boy Color (956)

4. Atari 2600 (928)

5. TI-99/4A (862)

6. NES/Famicom (510)

7. PC (DOS) (465)

8. Atari 7800 (434)

9. Intellivision (313)

10. C64 (242)

Big numbers take Week 48 to the #7 spot on the all-time list, and knock off the last remaining record-holder from before 2015. In other words, our ten biggest years weeks are now all from 2015 -- wow!

The top game this week is RPG Sword of Vermilion, which has gotten playthroughs from at least three different forum members. With 4861 minutes recorded to date, it now sits at #11, just outside the all-time top 10 (and the 5000-minute club), and is within 30 minutes of taking over from Warrior of Rome II as the top Genesis game.

That's not the only shake-up in or near the top, as Silent Hunter takes over the #3 all-time spot, dropping Berzerk to #4, and marking the first time in ages that a non-VCS game is in the top 3.

Meanwhile, Tower of Doom is about to surpass Lock 'N' Chase as the most-played Intellivision game, and will probably leapfrog another two games to take over the #12 spot shortly.

Oddly enough no games joined the 1000-minute club this week, but our #2 game, Monopoly, is one of many games that are getting close.

• Like 6

I'm almost sorry I contributed to SoV being that high! ;) Actually I really enjoyed that game. My last post I was complaining about it, but I literally complained right before the endgame where it got interesting again. I've since beat it.... more updates to come! (I know, you're all probably on the edge of your seats!)

I have a question that has probably been addressed but I couldn't find it; Tecmo Super Bowl is one of my favorite and most played games ever. I recently have logged a few hours on a hack of TSB that updates the rosters to modern players. Should I log this as Tecmo Super Bowl, or just leave it off?

• Like 2

Little early to be posting my first round, but here goes anyway...

TI-99/4A:

Neverlander (80 minutes)

Aperture (25 minutes)

St. Nick (60 minutes)

Intellivision:

Christmas Carol vs. Ghost (240 minutes)

VCS:

Stay Frosty 2 (40 minutes)

Lots of Christmas games... Cant stop playing Christmas Carol...

• Like 4

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 187 min

Hardest difficulty so far is disappointing. I am much more concerned with the usual torpedo duds of the early war than with destroyers being more aggressive than they were on 100%. I'm still early in the war and haven't had a serious depth charge attack by several destroyers at once, so I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Like 3

C64:

Software Hit - 8 min.

Software House - 11 min.

SNES:

Nigel Mansell's World Championship - 12 min.

Super James Pond - 14 min.

Super R-Type - 10 min.

... yes, the C64 for the fourth week in a row was due to emulation. All my real hardware 64's and 128D are muttering loudly at not getting used. Yet I didn't find that cool, new game that deserves to be played on real hardware.

Also, inspired by Opry99er's comment above about James Pond, I brought out the SNES. At first I was about to report that my cartridge has a label that says Super James Pond but the title screen says Super James Pond II, but then I read on Wikipedia that this is the same game otherwise known as James Pond II - Codename: Robocod, but the US SNES version is called Super James Pond and the European SNES version is called Super James Pond II, while it is the same game alltogether. A bit confusing that I and II are the same game, only different regions.

• Like 3