IGNORED

Centipede "Arcade" - hack for VCS/2600?

Arenafoot

Are you going for mouse pointer like movement where fast moves jump lots of pixels and small slow moves jump single pixels?

Sure pixels will jump between frames. Else you could only move 1 pixel/frame.

If it is just like "holding the joystick left speed" then there is no advantage of using a trackball because it would play like a trackball in digital "joystick mode" instead of dynamic analog movement.

No, you control exactly the speed of the cursor and where to stop. It works like moving the cursor with your mouse around your computer's screen.

I never got Missile Command Track Ball working so I don't know how the trackball movement works.

You should really try. The experience is very different. After a while the cursor feels attached to your brain. :)

• 3 weeks later...

HEy. I just tried the build on the other page in Stella. I went to game properties and chose CX80-Mouse as the controller. It didn't work though. I tried both 'ports' to be on the safe side. Please can someone tell me how to try out the trackball build of Centipede?

Thanks, P:)

Have you allowed your mouse as controller (Input Settings/Devices & Ports)? I suppose you have to make sure that Stella accepts your OS mouse as input device. Probably it is best to compare the settings with those for my Missile Command TrakBall hacks because those are known to Stella.

^

Hmm. Yeah, I've allowed my mouse to be used in Stella. I did what you suggested and loaded up MC TB so as to copy the settings. Everything seems to match. I have the fire button working but no movement... I'm kinda perplexed.

It's a bit frustrating as I actually use a Logitech trackball on my PC so I would actually get to play Centipede on a (virtual) 2600 with a real trackball - a dream come true (Yeah, I know, I'm not a big dreamer! :P ).

If I can dig out my Atari trackball I'll give it a bash on the real hardware later...

Anyone else having issues with this?

Regardless of my situation, I just want to say thanks for putting this hack out there. :)

The post was just to illustrate that there is cycle time available to utilize the controller (i.e. demo). I never posted the flickerless PF version because it's still just a demo, and reusing the score variables only provides 3 bytes of ram vs. the required 4. The point is that by scrounging up leftover cycles whenever possible, you gain enough display kernel time to accomplish an acceptable number of readings. The next step is much more difficult...deconstructing & rewriting enough of the program to provide the needed ram memory to hold the 4 variables without losing anything that the game already keeps track of. AFAIK nobody reverse-engineered the game already, so I'm starting out at a severe disadvantage (lack of free time and Centipede not being a personal favorite doesn't help either). If anyone wants to pick up what I've got so far and call it their own, they are welcome to it.

Edited by Nukey Shay

• 6 months later...

They did it! Thanks Thomas and Omegmatrix!

2600 Centipede Trackball NTSC

Edit: Version 1.1. has versions for the 3 different trak-ball mode trackballs!

CX22, CX80*, and Amiga Mouse.

Link_to_post_with_V1.1 binary_here

Link_to_CX22-V1.1_titlescreen_hacked

Centipede Hack is a dream to play!

Old version, CX22 trackball only*:

Link_to_post_with_V1.0 binary_here

Works great, and I didn't notice anything different about firing.

* CX80 trackballs first worked the same as the CX22, but later in manufacturing the output was changed. If the file Centipede CX80 version doesn't work with your CX80, try the CX22 file with it.

• Like 2

As the originator of this thread, I'd like to give a BIG thanks to Thomas & Omegmatrix too!!!

THANK YOU!

Edit: Version 1.1. Three versions for the 3 different trackball outputs!

CX-22, CX-80*, and Amiga Mouse.

V1.1 binary_Link_to_post_here

They did it! Thanks Thomas and Omegmatrix!

2600 Centipede Trackball NTSC

Centipede Hack is a dream to play!

Old version, CX-22 trackball only*:

V1.0 binary_Link_to_post_here

Works great, and I didn't notice anything different about firing.

* CX-80 trackballs first worked the same as the CX-22, but later in manufacturing the trackball output was changed. If the Centipede CX-80 version doesn't work with your CX-80, try the CX-22 file with it.

• Like 2

..indeed. It's kinda like the old Atari never went away. There's customer support here, interactive ongoing game harware & software development, user discussions, contests, a store, technical tips, reference library, and buy/sell/trade. In fact I dare say we have more resources, here, now, today, than ever before. Yes?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As the originator of this thread, I'd like to give a BIG thanks to Thomas & Omegmatrix too!!!

THANK YOU!

I got the chance to try this on real hardware early this morning (around 12:30am-1am) during setup for the 2015 Houston ArcadeExpo. And all I can say is....... WOW! It is better than I thought!! AGAIN "THANK YOU" to Thomas and Omega!!! In less than a year, my request for a Centipede Trakball was asked (first post here), received, completed, and played. Awesome work guys!