IGNORED

Apple IIe issue

yukin

I have a strange issue, i tried by exemple the game Retro Fever, im not doing anything when it start and the Character move by himself to the bottom right always.

I tried disconected the keyboard and tried with a joystick, it is doing the same, so im thinking it is not a keyboard issue because the keyboard what disconnected.

here a video to show what i mean.

Edited by yukin

I dunno if that game chooses one or the other or just runs with both but what I would do is test the joysticks, there's programs you can download or you can punch in the following to basic

10 PRINT PDL(0)" "PDL(1):GOTO 10

RUN

this will stream numbers tween 0 and 255, idealy in the middle should be 127 but it floats, if something is up you will see one or the other dive off drasticly

no that basic program only polls the paddle inputs (2 paddles = XY of an analog joystick) so you have something else going on in your system and or joysticks

(i had to replace the 558 timer in my apple IIc to fix a similar issue, doesnt mean that's whats wrong, could be a cap hanging off the 558, could be a screwed up stick)

IF you want to feel better about a keyboard issue, unplug it, you could boot direct to game or make a dos disk that runs the above basic program in the hello file so it autoboots it

IF you want to feel better about a joystick issue (and worse about a system issue) you could find the two pins in the port that corresponds to the offending axis and jumper a 75ohm resistor (or something fairly close) in the plug and rerun the test

Edited by Osgeld

thanks

ok i don' have any spare resistor(75ohm) on my hand right now.

Here other test i did.

1. Unplug the keyboard, plug the joystick, the guy is going straight down by itself.

2. plug the keyboard, unplug the joystick, the guy is going to the bottom right by itself.

3. remove the 558 chip and test with the keyboard only connected, still going by itself to the bottom right?

then now im confused lol :)

If the joystick is showing 127 X 255, then that would definitely be an issue. If you start the game without a joystick plugged in, does it still move right by itself? Do other games exhibit the same behavior?

yeah, thats what i just said, with only the keyboard, the guy going bottom right and with a joystick, it is going to the bottom. i tried with Lode runner also and he is doing the same thing.

Edited by yukin

I have a strange issue, i tried by exemple the game Retro Fever, im not doing anything when it start and the Character move by himself to the bottom right always.

I tried disconected the keyboard and tried with a joystick, it is doing the same, so im thinking it is not a keyboard issue because the keyboard what disconnected.

<< SNIP >>

I ran the One Line BASIC program on one of my //e's.. It reads "255 255" with NO Paddles or Joystick... I would guess you might have a broken Wire or Missing Pin on your Joystick? That would give the results you are seeing...

MarkO