IGNORED

Genesis Everdrive in the NA Cart Style/Lettering

Rick Dangerous

Hey everybody. I've become interested as of late in picking up an SD cart for genesis. Anyone know if they are sold anywhere in the North American style cartridge? I've seen them with megadrive lettering:

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Also, does anyone know if you can save games on these, like if you were playing an RPG?

Any better alternatives out there to this?

Thanks

That IS a north american style case, and yes, it handles RPG saves well. Megaman's save system can trip it up, but is easily fixed with a patched ROM.

Though I own a V3 Everdrive MD, I haven't followed the OS updates that closely. I don't believe the standard ED/MD will save on games that originally used EEPROM's. The Mega Everdrive will because he's got Save States working, so all games can be saved in that way. I made a list once of the games that will not run because they look for an EEPROM to save, and thus need to be patched. I'll find it later. Most rom archives though will have several versions of the rom, some with a [h1], [h2] hack in the file name. Those were hacked 15-20 years ago to work on copiers without EEPROM's and will run on the ED.

• Like 1

So the V3 Everdrive is still the one to get, you just have to make sure to have up-to-date ROMS?

He's only selling the V3 now. The V2 was the older one, I had that one originally, but is only available used I guess? The Mega Everdrive is a better device, but it's like double the price, if you have the dough. The Mega has had some issues with some SMS games I think, but it has save states, which of course are fantastic. V3 will save to SRAM (as files) for games that used SRAM originally. Several wrote to EEPROMS, and will not open unless you use a hacked rom. I think in the case of Mega Man, I believe someone hacked the rom to save to SRAM rather than EEPROM recently. I personally don't like the game much, the emulation of NES MM is terrible.

V3 will save to SRAM (as files) for games that used SRAM originally. Several wrote to EEPROMS, and will not open unless you use a hacked rom. I think in the case of Mega Man, I believe someone hacked the rom to save to SRAM rather than EEPROM recently.

Yeah, I knew it was something like that but didn't have the details handy. Mega Everdrive is great (I hear), but my Everdrive MD runs everything I want it to.

Here's a list of EEPROM-using games I found... most are of no interest to me, so with the help of a couple hacks, I can play anything I want:

Barkley: Shut Up and Jam! 2 (EEPROM)

Blockbuster World Videogame Championship II (NBA Jam T.E. portion) (EEPROM)

Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket (Europe/Australia exclusive title) (EEPROM)

College Slam (EEPROM)

Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield Boxing (EEPROM)

Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball (EEPROM)

Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring (EEPROM)

Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Europe uses EEPROM, Japanese release uses SRAM)

Micro Machines '96 (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)

Micro Machines 2 (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)

Micro Machines Military (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)

NBA Jam (EEPROM)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (EEPROM)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition 32X (EEPROM)

NFL Quarterback Club (EEPROM)

NFL Quarterback Club 32X (EEPROM)

NFL Quarterback Club '96 (EEPROM)

NHLPA Hockey '93 (EEPROM)

Rings of Power (EEPROM)

Sports Talk Baseball (EEPROM)

Unnecessary Roughness '95 (EEPROM)

Wonder Boy in Monster World (EEPROM)

Edited by Rex Dart

Thanks, where can you find this?

Stone Age Gamer or from Krikzz

Yeah, I knew it was something like that but didn't have the details handy. Mega Everdrive is great (I hear), but my Everdrive MD runs everything I want it to.

Here's a list of EEPROM-using games I found... most are of no interest to me, so with the help of a couple hacks, I can play anything I want:

Correct, only Wonder Boy in Monster World and Mega Man are titles that get the most attention. The rest usually cost 99 cents. I'm fairly certain a patch was made for both games to save to SRAM.

Mega ED has the save states like I said, as well as an in-game menu, so you don't have to keep getting up to go back to the menu. ED/MD will return to menu after holding reset.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm pretty new to this. Can someone please explain to me which one I should? All I really need is the ability to save slates, put as many roms onto the SD card as possible, and make it compatible with almost all Genesis, SMS, 32X, and Sega CD games. Do they all do this? I prefer it also save snapshots, but not if it's $150. What advantages do the expensive ones have?

How is this for my basic needs? It's $75 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVERDRIVE-MD-CHINA-VER-Sega-Mega-Driver-Sega-Genesis-Cartridge-not-SUPER-NES-/251789987982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9fda508e

Ok, I'm pretty new to this. Can someone please explain to me which one I should? All I really need is the ability to save slates, put as many roms onto the SD card as possible, and make it compatible with almost all Genesis, SMS, 32X, and Sega CD games. Do they all do this? I prefer it also save snapshots, but not if it's $150. What advantages do the expensive ones have?

How is this for my basic needs? It's $75 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVERDRIVE-MD-CHINA-VER-Sega-Mega-Driver-Sega-Genesis-Cartridge-not-SUPER-NES-/251789987982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9fda508e

Like RW said, that's a Chinese knockoff. Unsupported and may brick if updated, plus it's just plain bad juju.

But you're looking for the right product, I think... Everdrive MD supports Genesis, 32x, SMS games, and can load Sega CD BIOSes (not games).

The Mega Everdrive is the 'expensive' one; it has snappier menus, savestates, supports larger (generally hacks) ROM images, and can act as a backup RAM cart for the Sega CD. About twice the cost of an Everdrive MD.

I bought mine from Stoneagegamer here: Everdrive MD

Like RW said, that's a Chinese knockoff. Unsupported and may brick if updated, plus it's just plain bad juju.

But you're looking for the right product, I think... Everdrive MD supports Genesis, 32x, SMS games, and can load Sega CD BIOSes (not games).

The Mega Everdrive is the 'expensive' one; it has snappier menus, savestates, supports larger (generally hacks) ROM images, and can act as a backup RAM cart for the Sega CD. About twice the cost of an Everdrive MD.

I bought mine from Stoneagegamer here: Everdrive MD

Thanks a lot for the info, I will stay far away from that Chinese knockoff. The one you have that you posted in your link isn't much more anyway. The only thing though, it doesn't support save slates? I can live without Sega CD support, but save slates are a must.

The MegaEverDrive is the only flash cart with save states. Note that save STATES is not the same thing as save RAM. All flash carts have save ram. So games that save to save ram work on any flash cart. Save states is like emulators where you can save at any time in any game, not just ones that support save ram. The MED save state function doesn't work through the 32X, only on a bare Genesis. The MED also supports 8 and 10 MByte flat roms like that Mortal Kombat hack, but again without the 32X or the SCD attached. You simply can't do 8 or 10 MB roms with a SCD or 32X attached with any cart. I don't know what the deal is with save states and the 32X... might be kinda like playing SMS games through the 32X (certain lines not passed through). Which is the other thing flash carts can't do - play SMS games through a 32X without hacking the 32X.

• Like 1

Not may, WILL brick!

The MegaEverDrive is the only flash cart with save states. Note that save STATES is not the same thing as save RAM. All flash carts have save ram. So games that save to save ram work on any flash cart. Save states is like emulators where you can save at any time in any game, not just ones that support save ram. The MED save state function doesn't work through the 32X, only on a bare Genesis. The MED also supports 8 and 10 MByte flat roms like that Mortal Kombat hack, but again without the 32X or the SCD attached. You simply can't do 8 or 10 MB roms with a SCD or 32X attached with any cart. I don't know what the deal is with save states and the 32X... might be kinda like playing SMS games through the 32X (certain lines not passed through). Which is the other thing flash carts can't do - play SMS games through a 32X without hacking the 32X.

Save states are awesome, it's a travesty that neither the SD2SNES nor the Super Everdrive do them.

Save states are awesome, it's a travesty that neither the SD2SNES nor the Super Everdrive do them.

I think it's the same issue as the z80 state in the MegaED states - it's a separate bus that can't be monitored from the cart slot. MED's save states can't save the exact state of the z80, so he fakes it. It works on some games, and not on others. You would have a similar issue on the SNES with the sound at least, maybe some other stuff as well.

I think it's the same issue as the z80 state in the MegaED states - it's a separate bus that can't be monitored from the cart slot. MED's save states can't save the exact state of the z80, so he fakes it. It works on some games, and not on others. You would have a similar issue on the SNES with the sound at least, maybe some other stuff as well.

Dang, I hate it when you're probably right! Too bad, would really come in handy on SNES. There are so many more action/adventure games I'd like to play through than Genesis.

Save states would have to be done internally? I thought Pro Action Replay could do "save states", hence the "Replay" in the title... or was it really just another brand of Game Genie basically?

I honestly don't know much about the PAR, I only heard about it after 200X on the internet, only thing we ever had around here was Game Genies, and then Game Sharks during the CD/Post Cartridge era.

Edited by Torr

PAR was just a GG with a different name and interface. That Nakitek Saver just saves what it can and ignores the rest. If you read reviews on it, the sound isn't saved - as I said, that's not something you can save from the cart slot. So it's kinda similar to the MegaED save states, only not as good. Probably about as good as you'll find for the SNES, though.