IGNORED

Translucent Jaguar Console Pre-Orders

Parrothead

Mike did actually send me everything I'd ordered before it all imploded.

I received my transparent console and cartridge shells from Mike, too ... and I even used them to construct my very own Coleco Chameleon "prototype"!

If I may ask, what method did you use to secure the Jaguar motherboard in this shell? I notice that the screw standoffs at the front of the new shells were moved (presumably by the dental camera folks) from their original positions, and without them, I wasn't able to find a satisfactory solution for holding the board in place. The height apparently has to be exactly right, or else the power button doesn't engage properly.

• Like 3

I could have designed 3D printed standoffs if I had one of the SoCalMike shells, but I was too wary of ordering one from him at the time they were available. Would be a good method of mounting the Jaguar board at the correct height, without modifying the original plastic of the shell.

Edit: Is that TMNT cart a port of the Atari ST game? lol

Edited by Bratwurst

Just basic pcb standoffs trimmed to fit, with a lot of trial and error. I used the same thing for my dental case Jag.

Thanks! I was reluctant to put screws through the bottom of the shell, but I'll probably take the same approach. I'll have to see if I can at least find transparent standoffs ...

If you guys are going to glue in your standoffs, don't use epoxy, use hotglue, it holds fast but can be quickly and cleanly removed without damaging the shell plastic with a touch of isopropyl alcohol.

I suppose that's true, but why?

That shell is only going to be used for Jag boards, and I can still unscrew the board for service. No need to ever remove the posts.

• Like 1

Well, this is one of the sillier conversations I've had lately...

Because screwing through the bottom is ugly, lol. We're talking about making posts permanent that are permanent in a regular Jag shell anyway.

You came in with the "don't use epoxy" bit. I honestly don't care if someone uses bubble gum and baling wire, but unless you plan on making a clear dental camera, might as well anchor 'em down.

• 1 year later...

While it's been great fun catching up on the Chameleon as a newcomer, man, now that @Albert has the tooling, I have to bump this and ask: When can we all order rainbow-colored console shells and stuff?  I have a 2nd Jag on the way that I want to add a BJL rom (Because I'm crazy) and a PAL/NTSC selector switch to, and since I'm taking things apart anyway it would be 10x cooler if I could also mount it in a clear or white case without paying prices like this: https://ebay.us/9aWvtd.  Bonus points if the tooling for clear controllers and CD units is there and can be revived as well ?

@racerx Curious what the back side of your clear case looks like.  Just open, or did you get some kind of covering for it?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...