IGNORED

Something else with a II in the title...

CyranoJ

What's needed to speed up slow skunkboard connections again? USB hub? PCI card with usb connectors?

I've tried repeaters (no use), expensive usb powered hubs (no use) and cheap $4 unpowered hubs (hurrah! it works!) - so, your guess is as good as mine!

loaded it up at 7kb/s. I just had to walk away and do something else. probably took ten minutes. I don't know. when I came back it was up. Very enjoyable though way better two player.

Thanks CJ! Will dig into the others.

How hard would it be to adapt a role playing ST binary? Too hard? Like The City or The Dungeon? Save games would probably make it undoable.

How hard would it be to adapt a role playing ST binary? Too hard? Like The City or The Dungeon? Save games would probably make it undoable.

I don't like them, so probably totally impossible due to motivational issues :)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

loaded it up at 7kb/s. I just had to walk away and do something else. probably took ten minutes. I don't know. when I came back it was up. Very enjoyable though way better two player.

Thanks CJ! Will dig into the others.

If the protection scheme is anything like the 8bit version you'd have more luck writing Quake from scratch for the Jag that work on this title. I love the AR series and would love to see it on the Jag but the titles coming out have been awesome :)

If the protection scheme is anything like the 8bit version you'd have more luck writing Quake from scratch for the Jag that work on this title. I love the AR series and would love to see it on the Jag but the titles coming out have been awesome :)

Not to take this too far off topic, but does anyone know is there was ever any luck in using different WADs on the Jaguar's version of Doom?

• Like 1

Not to take this too far off topic, but does anyone know is there was ever any luck in using different WADs on the Jaguar's version of Doom?

Yes this is possible with a skunk cart and some tools that were posted a long time ago. There are a # of restrictions and if you want to use an existing WAD it must be converted to the restricted elements that Jag Doom supports. Someone converted a majority of the Doom II WAD files to run on the Jag - for the most part it ran pretty well :)

I created 1 level that was to contribute to a new WAD for JagDoom but the project got cancelled.

Right, so I think I've fixed all the audio, all the chained samples....

(Note: the [colour] sample doesn't play in VJ because the 68000 is too fast, but it works on a Jaguar)

• Welcome [colour] [class]
  • [colour] [class] your life force is running out
  • etc

...seem to be working fine :)

Fixed the 'CONJURING' screen:

post-11520-0-83054900-1420869170_thumb.png

Just the raster colours in the title screen to do now - although no rush for that. I'm calling this one done for now :)

gaunt2.rom

• Like 4

CJ this is great! I've done a lot of Gauntlet playing of the various editions over the years so this will be fun to try out.

You are really getting the converting of ST games down to a science now. I guess your eyes have just grown accustomed on what to look for.

So are you trying to hone in on the 68000 mainly based games?

I think what amazes me the most is getting an ST game to work on a Jaguar controller.

CJ this is great! I've done a lot of Gauntlet playing of the various editions over the years so this will be fun to try out./quote

Thanks, I've always thought this was a really good conversion. Played it to death on the ST.

So are you trying to hone in on the 68000 mainly based games?

All ST games are 68000 based ;)

I think what amazes me the most is getting an ST game to work on a Jaguar controller.

Err, Ok ;)

OK I lied, I wasn't done:

I fixed the title picture rasters (Many thanks to Automation CD#1 background for providing the RGB values to lazy me)

post-11520-0-52717500-1420879547_thumb.png

Also, I realized that the file was only 1.91MB... so its now a 2mb ROM (that should please JC's 7k/second setup, LOL)

gaunt2.rom

NOW I'M DONE*

*Until the Teamtap arrives in the mail from ggn :P

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 6

OK, I have NO IDEA if this will work because I don't have a TeamTAP.

Can someone who DOES HAVE ONE, try this WITH and WITHOUT the TeamTAP and confirm if it works please? All 4 players should be working.

NOTE: The TeamTAP must be connected at boot, you can't plug it in/out while its running.

Thanks.

gaunt2.rom

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

Rebellion owns the rights to Core now I do believe.

That's an interesting notion, as I did not know about the Rebellion deal.

Looking into it, I see that the studio and "assets",whatever those may be, were bought by Rebellion. Yet the brand name and IP remained with Eidos, and thus were ultimately sold to Square Enix. Which is why for example Tomb Raider is a SE game.

I don't know for sure if old games are part of the "assets" bought by Rebellion, but my money is on that they belong to the IP and brands part that is in SE's hands now.

OK, I have NO IDEA if this will work because I don't have a TeamTAP.

Can someone who DOES HAVE ONE, try this WITH and WITHOUT the TeamTAP and confirm if it works please? All 4 players should be working.

NOTE: The TeamTAP must be connected at boot, you can't plug it in/out while its running.

Thanks.

gaunt2.rom

I can try it out after I off from work. If no one gets to before I do.

Also tried this with and without Team Tap, works ok at 50 and 60Hz.

There is not always sound when shooting arrows, and/or hitting monsters, and if it the shooting sound is present, then it's only for player one.

Two minor things that I noticed that doesn't affect gameplay,

- the gamespeed on Jaguar seems faster then on the ST (just started the 1040STF up for comparison), but the intro music plays faster on ST and so is the speech during gameplay which sounds lighter and is higher pitched.

- when the next level is loading, then there is no hint text on the Jaguar.

Other than that, it's pretty awesome :)

Edited by Isgoed

Thanks for continuing to work on this!! It's pretty much done now, correct? Gauntlet II was a game worthy of the royal treatment (i.e. completion) and I know more people than will say so really appreciate it and will get a LOT of play time out of this. Not to mention the much needed (on the jag) multi-player capability. I know it's got a permanent home on flash slot 1 of my Skunk for the foreseeable future and will be a reason for me to pull out the team tap for years to come.

I realize now my question about getting rid of the borders was dumb as that's in the code. I googled different versions of Gauntlet II and they all have borders of some sort anyway.

Thanks again!!

• Like 1