IGNORED

Ms Pac Man for Intellivision impressions thread

Rev

Didn't get the notification but I just placed my order today. Looking forward to it. :)

Just got mine yesterday. Plays great. I'm even dying on the same levels I used to die on in the Apple II version.

I did hit one glitch where I passed through the red ghost (only happened once).

Just got mine yesterday. Plays great. I'm even dying on the same levels I used to die on in the Apple II version.

That's not a glitch. Well, it is a glitch, but it's an artifact of how the game implements collision detection. It happens in the arcade as well. For the curious, here's an explanation of why it happens.

That's not a glitch. Well, it is a glitch, but it's an artifact of how the game implements collision detection. It happens in the arcade as well. For the curious, here's an explanation of why it happens.

That's interesting ... I've seen it happen before but never knew the mechanics of how or why.

I've also noticed it occasionally with another ghost that will remain nameless ...

That's interesting ... I've seen it happen before but never knew the mechanics of how or why.

I've also noticed it occasionally with another ghost that will remain nameless ...

Ha! Ha! Yes, the mechanics of moving through the maze are the same in Christmas Carol, since it started from an engine built for Pac-Man. :)

To be sure, my implementation of Pac-Man (and therefore, Christmas Carol) was completely done from the high-level descriptions in the Pac-Man Dossier. It was a "clean-room" reverse engineering effort, where the Dossier acted as the specification, and I had absolutely no knowledge of the technical details of the original game. To this day, I've never seen the original Pac-Man code.

That happened to me once, too. But, I thought even in the arcade version there was a *chance* of slipping through a ghost once in awhile. Can't recall if it was the red one or another, though.

EDIT: Ah, DZ already provided the evidence!

Edited by intvsteve

I passed through the red Ghost once too! Oh my, no... it may actually be a real Ghost!!! :_(

Looks like i deleted it for no reason. The problem ended up being an equalizer issue on my own computer. If i used a video player to watch the video it sounded fine, but when watching it on youtube it was using the equalizer in my own computer instead of the video players equalizer and i guess something was accidentally unchecked. :ponder:

Okay, after receiving and playing Ms. Pac-Man yesterday, my very first impression was - WOW, another excellent Intellivision brew! Outside of the astonishment at how awesome the game is, here are some quick and random thoughts:

Ghosts change a bit too quick (well, they flash white sooner - but seems they flash white for longer maybe) after eating a power pill. Especially in later levels and that was on normal mode! haha

Jr. Pac and to a much lesser extent, Ms., look a little funny when traveling vertically. Ms. and Pac, the way the are drawn when traveling vertically, remind me of 2600 Pac-Man's squareness. Not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Some of the prizes that wander around are taken from other Pac-Man games... might we be seeing Super Pac-Man soon? Hope so! :love:

Really, really like some of the mazes... especially the Baby Pac inspired ones with the vertically oriented tunnels. All of the mazes in general are beautifully drawn and are nice and vibrant looking. Great use of color!

Love the speed up option - and the fact it's selectable as button or always on. Great customization of the game in general means tons and tons of replay value.

Incredible game, worth every penny of its asking price!!

• Like 1

Looks like i deleted it for no reason. The problem ended up being an equalizer issue on my own computer. If i used a video player to watch the video it sounded fine, but when watching it on youtube it was using the equalizer in my own computer instead of the video players equalizer and i guess something was accidentally unchecked. :ponder:

FYI the audio is horrible.With "default" settings, I can hear you, but not the game. If I turn things up enough to hear the game, which I did during a point where you weren't talking, the second you start talking again my speakers almost blew out. Shook some windows in my house.

FYI the audio is horrible.With "default" settings, I can hear you, but not the game. If I turn things up enough to hear the game, which I did during a point where you weren't talking, the second you start talking again my speakers almost blew out. Shook some windows in my house.

I fixed the problem by going into my computers equalizer setting and checking Loudness Equalization. And if you are interested, go into your "control panel", then "sounds" then make sure you are on the "playback" tab which should be default, highlight your speakers, click properties, then finally click the "enhancements" tab and you will see the option there. But not every computer is the same and you might have different options.