IGNORED

Making boxes for 2600 games

apemaster

Anyone interested in step-by-step instructions for making your own 2600-style boxes with full-color-print? I talking about real physical boxes, not only images.

I own a printing-company and can make those boxes with instruction booklets and inlay (minimum quantity 50, pm me if you're publishing your own game), but I can also provide a step-by-step instruction for making your own (if you need just one or a few). It will look like this:

3dbox-asterocks.png3dbox-pixelinvaders.png

It'll be quite a bit of work to put the instructions together, but if there's enough people interested, I'll do it.

Post what you think. Thanks.

• Like 3

Anyone interested in step-by-step instructions for making your own 2600-style boxes with full-color-print? I talking about real physical boxes, not only images.

I own a printing-company and can make those boxes with instruction booklets and inlay (minimum quantity 50, pm me if you're publishing your own game), but I can also provide a step-by-step instruction for making your own (if you need just one or a few). It will look like this:

It'll be quite a bit of work to put the instructions together, but if there's enough people interested, I'll do it.

I think it would be very useful, not just for 2600 boxes. Are the real boxes you print Offset or Digital?

I already mailed Marc a while ago but didn't get any answer.

The boxes are made with digital print, since offset can be done only when you order at least 1000 boxes of the same design.

But since I'm using a special material (canvas structure) that has been especially made for me by the paper-factory, it is a very good quality and looks very professional.

If interested, you can download a template and pricing info here:

http://www.yodagames.de/download/template-2600.zip

And yes, basically the boxes could be used for any type of homebrew-games, not just 2600. I can adjust the space in the inlay for any cartridge-size if specified.

• Like 1

Here's some basic-instructions how to make your own box:

** Make the cover-sheet:

1) Download the template at http://www.yodagames.de/download/template-2600.zip

This gives you full instructions for designing the box and saving the image-file.

2) Print the top and the bottom each on a sheet of self-adhesive paper. Make sure to keep the same size when printing. Each part should fit a normal sheet.

For this of course you'll need a color-printer. It doesn't matter if it's laser or inkjet, as long as it's only one or a few boxes.

You can get self-adhesive printing-paper at staples or other office supply stores.

3) Straight cut away the white borders.

Only cut the 4 sides with straight cuts, do not cut the corners.

The sheets have to be size 26 x 21 cm (that's 10.3 x 8.3 inches) and 26.5 x 20.5 cm (that's 10 x 8 inches).

** Prepare the cardboard:

1) Get two pieces of corrugated cardboard, preferably 1.5mm thickness (that's around 1/16th inch thickness).

The first piece must be sized 24 x 19 cm (that's 9,5 x 7,5 inches), the second one 23.5 x 18.5 cm (that's 9.3 x 7.3 inches).

You can get larger sheets and cut them to that size using either a knife and a ruler, or a guillotine-type paper cutter.

2) Make the creases.

Using a ruler and an old knife or scissor, crease lines at 2.5 cm (that's 1 inch) distance from the edges, parallel to all four sides, on both cardboards.

This creates the pre-fold for the height of the box, so you can easily fold the cardboard here.

3) Cut-out the corners.

Using a scissor, cut-out the four corners marked now on both cardboards.

The result will be a cross-shapes cardboard.

4) Pre-fold.

Fold the four sides of both cardboards to the inside in a 90-degree angle.

Now it already almost looks like a box, except that the edges are not connected.

** Put on the paper:

Now you'll need some type of lightbox. You can use a glass-table and put a lamp under it,

or you can use a tv-screen/monitor and put it flat on the table, with white background.

Or you can use an iPad or some other device large enough.

The goal is to be able to see through the sticky-paper when you put the cardboard on top.

1) Peel off the backside

Peel off the backside of the sticky-paper, start with the top.

Put the sticky paper, print side down, on your "lightbox".

You should be able to see through the paper, so you can see the black corner-markers of the template.

2) Position the bardboard

Make sure to use the right one (the bigger one for top, the smaller one for the bottom).

Put the cardboard, with corners folded upwards towards you, centered on the sticky side of the printed sheet,

make sure to put it exactly in the middle between the black corner markers.

The markers should be visible in the cut-out corners of the cardboard.

3) Fold1

Push down the two long sides of the cardboard, keep the two short sides folded up.

4) corner-cut

Using a knife on some spare-paper, cut the printed sheet (on the sticky side) ...

a) from the corner of the cardboard (just behind the black mark) straight along the still upfolded side.

b) from 2 mm (just a bit) in the first cut, not in the corner but a bit towards the outside along the cut,

to the same end of the first cut, but roughly 5 mm (1/5th inch) towards the outer corner.

Repeat this on all four corners.

5) fold

Now fold up all four sides of the cardboard, the two long sides together with the sticky-paper,

and use the now overlapping part of the long side to fold it around the short side,

so it holds the cardboard together, forming a box.

Repeat on both long sides. Keep short sides sticky-paper still flat.

6) wrap around

Starting from the middle of the long sides, fold the sticky-paper around the corner to the inside of the box,

moving towards the corners. About 1 inch from the corner, at the same time fold the rest on the other side,

so you'll end up in the corner, pushing the now somehow unwanted edge to the inside of the corner.

Repeat on other corner and other long side.

7) make it beautiful

Now finally fold up the short sides up and around the edges, covering the maybe not so nice corners inside.

8) make it even more beautiful

Using a flat rubber piece, or a some ruler, wipe over all sides, removing any unwanted air-bubbles

and making sure everything sticks together. Start on the inside of the box, then the sides,

end with the top (or bottom, depending which part you did).

- Repeat with the other half of the box.

... quite a lot of work. But fun. Maybe you need some tries to get it right, but the result will be a very beautiful custom-made box.

Here's some basic-instructions how to make your own box:

** Make the cover-sheet:

1) Download the template at http://www.yodagames.de/download/template-2600.zip

This gives you full instructions for designing the box and saving the image-file.

2) Print the top and the bottom each on a sheet of self-adhesive paper. Make sure to keep the same size when printing. Each part should fit a normal sheet.

For this of course you'll need a color-printer. It doesn't matter if it's laser or inkjet, as long as it's only one or a few boxes.

You can get self-adhesive printing-paper at staples or other office supply stores.

3) Straight cut away the white borders.

Only cut the 4 sides with straight cuts, do not cut the corners.

The sheets have to be size 26 x 21 cm (that's 10.3 x 8.3 inches) and 26.5 x 20.5 cm (that's 10 x 8 inches).

** Prepare the cardboard:

1) Get two pieces of corrugated cardboard, preferably 1.5mm thickness (that's around 1/16th inch thickness).

The first piece must be sized 24 x 19 cm (that's 9,5 x 7,5 inches), the second one 23.5 x 18.5 cm (that's 9.3 x 7.3 inches).

You can get larger sheets and cut them to that size using either a knife and a ruler, or a guillotine-type paper cutter.

2) Make the creases.

Using a ruler and an old knife or scissor, crease lines at 2.5 cm (that's 1 inch) distance from the edges, parallel to all four sides, on both cardboards.

This creates the pre-fold for the height of the box, so you can easily fold the cardboard here.

3) Cut-out the corners.

Using a scissor, cut-out the four corners marked now on both cardboards.

The result will be a cross-shapes cardboard.

4) Pre-fold.

Fold the four sides of both cardboards to the inside in a 90-degree angle.

Now it already almost looks like a box, except that the edges are not connected.

** Put on the paper:

Now you'll need some type of lightbox. You can use a glass-table and put a lamp under it,

or you can use a tv-screen/monitor and put it flat on the table, with white background.

Or you can use an iPad or some other device large enough.

The goal is to be able to see through the sticky-paper when you put the cardboard on top.

1) Peel off the backside

Peel off the backside of the sticky-paper, start with the top.

Put the sticky paper, print side down, on your "lightbox".

You should be able to see through the paper, so you can see the black corner-markers of the template.

2) Position the bardboard

Make sure to use the right one (the bigger one for top, the smaller one for the bottom).

Put the cardboard, with corners folded upwards towards you, centered on the sticky side of the printed sheet,

make sure to put it exactly in the middle between the black corner markers.

The markers should be visible in the cut-out corners of the cardboard.

3) Fold1

Push down the two long sides of the cardboard, keep the two short sides folded up.

4) corner-cut

Using a knife on some spare-paper, cut the printed sheet (on the sticky side) ...

a) from the corner of the cardboard (just behind the black mark) straight along the still upfolded side.

b) from 2 mm (just a bit) in the first cut, not in the corner but a bit towards the outside along the cut,

to the same end of the first cut, but roughly 5 mm (1/5th inch) towards the outer corner.

Repeat this on all four corners.

5) fold

Now fold up all four sides of the cardboard, the two long sides together with the sticky-paper,

and use the now overlapping part of the long side to fold it around the short side,

so it holds the cardboard together, forming a box.

Repeat on both long sides. Keep short sides sticky-paper still flat.

6) wrap around

Starting from the middle of the long sides, fold the sticky-paper around the corner to the inside of the box,

moving towards the corners. About 1 inch from the corner, at the same time fold the rest on the other side,

so you'll end up in the corner, pushing the now somehow unwanted edge to the inside of the corner.

Repeat on other corner and other long side.

7) make it beautiful

Now finally fold up the short sides up and around the edges, covering the maybe not so nice corners inside.

8) make it even more beautiful

Using a flat rubber piece, or a some ruler, wipe over all sides, removing any unwanted air-bubbles

and making sure everything sticks together. Start on the inside of the box, then the sides,

end with the top (or bottom, depending which part you did).

- Repeat with the other half of the box.

... quite a lot of work. But fun. Maybe you need some tries to get it right, but the result will be a very beautiful custom-made box.

Thank you for template ;)

• 7 years later...
On 1/9/2015 at 8:25 AM, apemaster said:

What a great post - (although yes its a very old post, but I only just came across it) - - do you by chance still have the instructions to create these if we just need one or two versus ordering huge batches?  That would be amazing.  Please let me know - and thank you very much! :)

• 8 months later...
On 1/9/2015 at 3:12 PM, apemaster said:

Yes, all prices are shown in Euros. Should be easy when using Paypal.

Shipping cost shown is for international packages (i.e. to USA, Canada etc.)

This is a very nice thread and I have been looking for something exactly like this.

I am looking for a place where I can produce 30-50 custom 2600 boxes for my own project right now. Since this post is about 8 years old now, it looks like the link to your template is gone, but do you still accept your box-making service?

Hope this finds you well.