IGNORED

Eve Speech Synthesizer - Coleco Adam

ed1475

Hey everyone!!  New here!  Wondering what one of these go for currently.  I have one, untested, but presumed working.  I got it in a huge colecovision/adam lot and posted pictures of it.  Tons of people trying to lowball me on it yet, I’m not sure what I should be asking considering I can not find current values to gage a price to. Any help would be super appreciated!  Thanks!

645BDFFC-6308-4942-803F-747DD65FB7B9.jpeg

4 hours ago, GeorgeDiPietro said:

Hey everyone!!

645BDFFC-6308-4942-803F-747DD65FB7B9.jpeg

Well, considering that John Lundy just made a small run of the MIB238 (2 Serial Ports, 1 Parallel Port, Memory Addressor and Boot Prom socket that installs internally in Slot #2) and sold them thru the Adam Facebook Group for $96 and the complete DIY plans to build the MIB238 yourself are available on GitHub thanks to Eric Pearson, I’d say that timing isn’t working in your favor.

This is not to diminish the value or collectibility of the EVE SP-1 unit that you have for sale in the least. Just timing (see above) and the fact that the unit is untested will factor heavily into what people are willing to offer. Also, most people do not like to be told “make me an offer”. You as the seller should set a price and then a negotiation can ensue if interested buyers think the price is too high. You can also go the route of an auction and let the market set the value of what you have.

So before I state what I think is the value, these have to be considered:

1) The physical condition of the item, both external and internal and all included accessories like the cables, manual, software, etc. This means a lot more pictures need to be taken and the more you are willing to provide, the more people will be willing to spend.

2) The working condition of the unit and all it’s accessories. You have a working Adam system so you can perform a simple connection test of the unit and provide details to buyers. Turn on the Adam and if it’s locked up, especially with a buzzing sound, then the Eve SP-1 is defective. Would be great if you could fully test but I understand you are not familiar with the system and probably don’t have serial and parallel hardware items.

3) Is the owner’s manual included. Important info is included in it to use the SP-1. This could determine if the buyer actually uses it or puts it on the shelf as a collection item... which would be sad considering there are enough people that want such an item to actually use.

4) Are the multiple software drivers disks/data packs included? Hard, but not impossible, to use the hardware without the accompanying software drivers.

5) Is this an “all sales are final” deal. I ask because if you can’t/won’t test the unit, it’s not fair to the buyer if the unit is DOA and nothing more than a door stop.

Past history... I sold a couple of these SP-1 units with manual and software on eBay about 6-7 years ago via auction for about $75 each IIRC.

Edited by NIAD
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Damn man, I wasted about 10 minutes of my life posting my replay when all I had to say was this!!! ?

Actually your response was very well thought out and written which hopefully helps the person figure out what they can/will get for it!!

I just wonder what price is in his/her head that they think they are being lowballed lol  I mean, considering they admitted they have no idea what it may or may not be worth!!  lol

• Thanks 1

Got an offer for $15 and one for $20.  But again i saw that they sold for $329 when first released.  Now I MAY have the wrong model or hell, even the wrong part lol, but this was all made before my time.  Also, with my research, again, not much to gage off.  It’s ancient technology and it’s a much smaller demographic to sell to.  I would like to maximum potential profit of course.  NIAD thank you millions for that reply.  That was incredibly informative.  Sadly, I had an EVE power supply that came in the lot that I tested everything with, and while playing DDP family feud....it set on fire.  Lol.  So now my ability to test ANYTHING is shot.  I need a power supply which means purchasing the printer haha.  I have already sold a bunch of stuff that worked, and didnt work to people.  I would love to assume it all works, but id much rather test it and be sure.  So maybe I should invest in a printer module. 

7 hours ago, GeorgeDiPietro said:

But again i saw that they sold for $329 when first released.  Now I MAY have the wrong model or hell, even the wrong part lol, but this was all made before my time.

Indeed you do have the WRONG model. The EVE VD-MB 80 Column Expansion Unit sold for over $300 and it is a completed different beast especially the size, just a little smaller than the ADAM Memory Console.

The EVE SP-1 Serial/Parallel Interface sold for anywhere between $109.95 and $139.95 while they were available. See attached pic from the NIAD Newletter Product List.

Untitled.jpg

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day the price is subject to whatever a collector will pay for it which makes past, desired or original prices 35 years ago moot.

I also think that Mr. DiPietro would love to avoid EBAY fees as would we all.

His wares are on the ADAM FaceBook Page as well as EBAY if you want to help him out.

He stated that his car has broken and needs to sell his collection ? to get it fixed.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

At the end of the day the price is subject to whatever a collector will pay for it which makes past or original prices 35 years ago moot.

I also think that Mr. DiPietro would love to avoid EBAY fees as would we all.

His wares are on the ADAM FaceBook Page as well as EBAY if you want to help him out.

He stated that his car has broken and needs to sell his collection ? to get it fixed.

Thanks!  Yeah it’s time to cash this stuff in for a new engine.  I don’t know much of anything prior to Nintendo.  That was my generation and time.  I collect so much and I’d love to avoid going into my other stuff, so I’m looking for reasonable prices because I do know some has some serious value still.  Just don’t want to be had.  Itchy thanks for the truth bomb.  Fee bay is a violent way to sell.  I have been being reasonable with a majority of my items i have sold, but the holy grails need to be treated as such.  I will never come across them again.

8 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

Actually your response was very well thought out and written which hopefully helps the person figure out what they can/will get for it!!

I just wonder what price is in his/her head that they think they are being lowballed lol  I mean, considering they admitted they have no idea what it may or may not be worth!!  lol

Thus you see an Atari 2600 being sold as a Colecovision on Ebay or better yet the "RARE" and "VINTAGE" label slapped on 80's junk found at a thrift store.
Not saying that is this case.

Collections are only worth to a COLLECTOR.  These websites that promote what Chase the Chuckwagon will go for is as real as a 9 dollar bill.

Whenever I bid on something I want I will only put that amount that I am willing to pay and not go into one of those last second bidding frenzies.

If someone else buys it for $1 more then there you go.  I promise you it will show up again.

I have a friend of mine who bought a Colecovision Super Sketch for $700+ then tried to sell it a week later for $900 because of buyers remorse and he still has it going on three years now.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

8 minutes ago, GeorgeDiPietro said:

Thanks!  Yeah it’s time to cash this stuff in for a new engine.  I don’t know much of anything prior to Nintendo.  That was my generation and time.  I collect so much and I’d love to avoid going into my other stuff, so I’m looking for reasonable prices because I do know some has some serious value still.  Just don’t want to be had.  Itchy thanks for the truth bomb.  Fee bay is a violent way to sell.  I have been being reasonable with a majority of my items i have sold, but the holy grails need to be treated as such.  I will never come across them again.

Fate handed you the wrong time of year unless you know some rich cats out there with no kids looking for Switches or PS5's for Christmas.
Three of my kids are already grown and I have one grand kid coming here for Christmas so my back is up against the wall as far as what I have to do.

Spoil one grand child and at least $500 gift cards to everyone over 18 then a wife.

In the real world the Colecovision is secondary.

No my friend, if I were in your shoes...  and this is just an opinion...

Wait till after Christmas or learn to compromise.

If someone offered you a really good deal then take it even if you don't particularly like the guy.

Then again, everyone around here is so lovable.

A man can't get around or work without his ride and believe you me walking sucks which I haven't done since I was 16.  Which WAS in the 80's.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Thus you see an Atari 2600 being sold as a Colecovision on Ebay or better yet the "RARE" and "VINTAGE" label slapped on 80's junk found at a thrift store.
Not saying that is this case.

Collections are only worth to a COLLECTOR.  These websites that promote what Chase the Chuckwagon will go for is as real as a 9 dollar bill.

Whenever I bid on something I want I will only put that amount that I am willing to pay and not go into one of those last second bidding frenzies.

If someone else buys it for $1 more then there you go.  I promise you it will show up again.

I have a friend of mine who bought a Colecovision Super Sketch for $700+ then tried to sell it a week later for $900 because of buyers remorse and he still has it going on three years now.

Yeah that absolutely makes sense.  The extreme collectors who “have to have it now” that is a buyer I think we all target.  I don’t want to sell an item for $20 today knowing I can make $150 2 weeks from now.  You know?  And maximizing profit is super important to fund a new engine

Yeah 4th quarter is a tough sell when christmas is coming in to kill the old wallet.  Money is absolutely of the essence for sure, but again...i will never come across these items again.  Yes i absolutely need dough.  Badly.  I am not looking for pity purchases.  Just like a collector licking their chops for a steal of a deal....i’m licking my chops knowing I have pretty elite items.  I am only learning this now.  Took me a month to learn...and still overwhelming amounts to go.

I would rather sell outside of eBay as well, but sometimes it is a necessary evil and you can adjust your starting bid, buy it now or even put a reserve price on items. Numerous ways to offset the eBay fees and then PayPal fees.

i tip my hat to those that start auctions at $1 with No Reserve and No BIN.

BTW George, I’ll get back to you soon re the items I asked about on Facebook (Jim N).