IGNORED

New TI-99/4A Forum

Albert

WOW!

Super-Duper Man.

About time.

Now lets fill it up with a bunch of non-programming topics.

You guys go ahead.

But please don't forgot the PROGRAMMING section, that is why we got so big here!

True.

As the previous path/url indicated it was much more about "game programming" in the beginning. Thanks to everyone back then, particularly Opry99er, for a great and fun time.

It's been noted a few times that things have changed: "Now most of the posts are hardware related or just totally tangential, and this forum is at great risk of degenerating into yet another Yahoo forum.", "there seems to be a lot of talk of hardware lately, the forum is dominated by it." etc. Already back in 2011 I said I used to read everything, as of now, I often find nothing of interest. Feels like I'm wasting my time.

I'm leaving. Goodbye and good luck.

:)

I think this is a great step forward. Thank you Al!

True, there's a risk that the programming group itself will get less traffic.

But I think that is still ok if we can focus on programming stuff there.

I will read both forums, that's for sure :-)

Retroclouds

I fully expect the programming forum will get less traffic. However, the traffic will be more focused on programming, and perhaps the volume of programming discussions will increase, even if there's an overall decrease in the number of posts in that forum. :)

..Al

You guys go ahead.

True.

As the previous path/url indicated it was much more about "game programming" in the beginning. Thanks to everyone back then, particularly Opry99er, for a great and fun time.

It's been noted a few times that things have changed: "Now most of the posts are hardware related or just totally tangential, and this forum is at great risk of degenerating into yet another Yahoo forum.", "there seems to be a lot of talk of hardware lately, the forum is dominated by it." etc. Already back in 2011 I said I used to read everything, as of now, I often find nothing of interest. Feels like I'm wasting my time.

I'm leaving. Goodbye and good luck.

:)

Sad to see you leave.

I think this split will infact help..

Alot of fellow'ers I knew stopped posting in the programming section as there was too many off-topic posts, now that section will be more focused and easier to find the right topics.

Like I was totally clueless about the new Forth, as it was buried many pages down, now it will be much higher up.

I personally think we need to go one more step, make a 'hardware focused' group, as like you noticed recently there been a flood of new hardware.

So having three groups in total would be perfect, 'hardware' / 'software' and 'off-topic/general/chit-chat' this setup would I think in the end make this place the one and only place everyone should be hanging out, and then can then focus on the area they want without the chatter and mess of the other areas.

Think about it, before you leave, you will be missed.. :)

Alot of fellow'ers I knew stopped posting in the programming section as there was too many off-topic posts, now that section will be more focused and easier to find the right topics.

So having three groups in total would be perfect, 'hardware' / 'software' and 'off-topic/general/chit-chat' this setup would I think in the end make this place the one and only place everyone should be hanging out, and then can then focus on the area they want without the chatter and mess of the other areas.

Think about it, before you leave, you will be missed.. :)

Sorry for quoting "your" post, as my relatively bold decision has nothing to do with you. And I think you know you didn't have to answer. ;)

Sometimes you have to focus. My interest is mostly in the areas of games *), game design and game programming. Topics related to my interests seem to "drown" more easily as time has progressed. Making "programming" a sub-forum of the other, "hardware/off-topic/general/chit-chat", is like a bit of final straw to me or actually the best I can get when it comes to "natural selection" (activity based as that seems to be the only way to go, if you have to go, and we just did).

Your idea of a setup with "hardware", "software" and "off-topic/general/chit-chat" sounds like a good idea. Maybe even on more equal terms. A problem, as I see it is, it's sometimes hard to slice the pie into this is hardware, this is programming etc., as things aren't or haven't been "pure" as such. I'd expect a certain ingrown necessity of cross-posting. Where do you put "games" ? *) I'm more of an occasional game tester and reviewer, not a game player (on the TI).

Apart from that, there has also been talk about "the TI has seen its share of waporware" and "raising the bar", and I guess I've taken it to heart and been more silent. I'll probably still be on at developing games and demos, can't help it, but I'd rather create a blog for that, and I might go a different path.

Thanks for your concern.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er

That's why I originally started my blog. It felt wrong somehow to push hardware in the programmers section. Now some software and hardware got it's inspiration from non-programmers, and without as much interaction, I'm not sure how that will ultimately affect development. Some people may become unaware of new developments, or the programmers will have to go to the new section to advertise their new wares or recruit beta testers.

Speaking of hardware... what's up Greg?

As one of the random hardware offenders, I understand your issue, Sometimes99er. There wasn't anyplace else that I could really put my projects out to--and the software side (games and otherwise) actually spurred that development process on--so though it had little value to you personally, this entire group was the force that made a lot of things come to be. The group has designed (or built compilations of) a lot of software that uses them too, so that cross-feeding between the two sides is valuable too. And there are a lot of active software development topics in the current mix--look at all of the wonderful things Rasmus has been doing, or the wonderful little demo that Retroclouds did over the holidays. Then you have the Arkanoid development thread from OLD CS1, Vorticon's Panzer Strike, the Mole's Alex Kidd port, Gazoo's XB 2.7, Rich's RXB 2012, 2014, and In the Dark game, Stuart's Web Browser and Cortex BASIC port, the continued development of Insomnia's GCC compiler, Codex's Magellan, Senor Falcon's XB Game development kit, Extended BASIC Compiler, and the Playground, Lee's fB FORTH, Willsy's TurboFORTH, and several others I haven't thought of at the moment. Software development is still king here--and that is as it should be. :) Don't abandon this interesting place just because it is evolving and growing into something bigger than it was--your contributions have been valuable, and not having them here would be a significant loss. Do stay--and I'll try to keep all of my hardware drivel in the hardware section (except in those instances where cross contributions would be of great value). Thanks for reading this too and know that I definitely appreciate you're being here.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 4

Speaking of hardware... what's up Greg?

Hope you mean me Greg and not the other Greg. If not, just ignore my ramblings. :-D

Gonna be working on the speech adapter some more tomorrow. Going to try some variations with the CPLD and the buffer chip, to see which gets best results. I'm hoping these findings won't require yet another board redesign. But if all works out, I should have the prototype completed.

• Like 4

Is that user still around? Come to think of it, I've not seen Opry99er in a long time either.

I don't know if she is.. I was just messing around, because she gets excited about the little stuff on here.. Not excited in a bad way.. hahaha I just felt like being a dork.

I have not seen Opry99er either.. hmmm

One thing is for certain, as I am moving threads I am finding a LOT of interesting stuff from a few years back, as well as a number of redundant threads. There has been a lot of activity around these here parts! I recommend people start at the last page of each forum and move forward.

Was thinking about some of this a little more. I like the split idea to the extent it adds focus, but in truth (so far) the biggest change for me is that I now check and refresh two forums versus one.

Given how many of the programming efforts are also tied into hardware and games, what if the new forum was retained for all of the general chit-chat, questions, etc.

Then... repurpose the programming forum as the TI 99/4A Development sub-forum. One that could encompass the programming, game creation, and hardware development together in one place? Heck, people could even use tags to distinguish the three ;)

Just throwing it out there as a point for discussion.

• Like 1

Then... repurpose the programming forum as the TI 99/4A Development sub-forum. One that could encompass the programming, game creation, and hardware development together in one place? Heck, people could even use tags to distinguish the three ;)

Just throwing it out there as a point for discussion.

I would be fine with that if others agree.

..Al

Albert and old cs1 spent how long? sorting and moving threads and now insanemultitasker comes up with an idea to make them do it all over again! :-o

LOL, there is that. I don't mind going through and moving threads back into a renamed (and wider-scoped) "Development" forum. Not sure if OLD CS1 wants to go through that again!!

..Al