• 20 - 29 Years Old
    • 30 - 39 Years Old
    • 40 - 49 Years Old
    • 50 - 59 Years Old
    • 60 - 69 Years Old
    • 70 - 79 Years Old
    • 80 - 89 Years Old
    • 90 - 99 Years Old
  2. 2. At what age did you get your first 8-Bit?

• 1 - 5 Years Old
    • 6 - 9 Years Old
    • 10 - 15 Years Old
    • 16 - 19 Years Old
    • 20 - 24 Years Old
    • 25 - 29 Years Old
    • 30 - 34 Years Old
    • 35 - 39 Years Old
    • 40 - 44 Years Old
    • 45 - 49 Years Old
    • 50 - 54 Years Old
    • 55 - 59 Years Old
    • 60 - 69 Years Old
    • 70 - 79 Years Old
    • 80 - 89 Years Old
    • 90 - 99 Years Old

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing a disturbing trend recently* - time seems to be accelerating! A year used to be a long time. Now it seems a year passes by while I'm eating a packet of peanuts. Brush my teeth - another year gone! What the hell is happening?! It's 2015?? We've gone beyond Buck Rogers' flight in 1987, somehow missed the Skynet nuclear war of 1997, passed the far future of Space 1999, and now we're in Marty McFly's alternate future (minus the 3D shark). Pretty soon we'll have to get a Blade Runner ("he say you brade runner") to kill replicants in 2019.

Don't forget that, in the Blade Runner universe, Atari is still alive and well in 2019. :)

I too am typical. 46 years old, got my first Atari in 1984 (a 600 XL) and for most years since, I have had an Atari 8-bit of one sort or another. Even had an Atari ST and Amiga 2000 at one point too. Still, you never forget your first computer, and seeing the Yoomp! game in 2007, in emulation, got me back into 8-bitting. The old Atari 8-bit days in the 1980's were some of the best years of my life.

• Like 1

This does make me kinda sad.....of course we all know this but in about 30/40 years time no-one will care about our beloved A8s anymore because we'll mostly all be dead or nearly dead.

Ah WTF, let's enjoy ourselves while we can.

The funny thing is, I'm also collecting arcade cabs, but I can see that I'll have to give that up at some point in time because of the phyical part of that hobby (moving cabs etc.) I'll hold on to my A8's for as long as I can though....small and light as they are I can keep them until I leave this world behind :)

I'm glad to see that 6502 rules!

Atari is far above 6502 of course...

All thing Atari doing for me is a work for all life.

The times have gone and nearest peoples but Atari is here!

I was a worst Atari player, because I've interested in only in it's structure and internals.

No one knows now what it's modern PC like Norton knew his own.

I LOVE ATARI because it has NOT libraries (or the walls on which the profits wrote...)

It lives in one breath! And librarian stones stays only the stones.

/Now the industry of programming is INDUS GT technology / Anyway I Love all of Indus peoples, but I hate their manner to work as command!/

GOD SAVE ATARI

I love my rectangle English of course but ...

Don't kill the player!

This does make me kinda sad.....of course we all know this but in about 30/40 years time no-one will care about our beloved A8s anymore because we'll mostly all be dead or nearly dead.

People still enjoy classical music made centuries ago, and other classical hobbies such as old cars. Why can't they also enjoy classical computing well into the future?

We have 4 16 - 30 year old people in the poll. I'd wager that there are a least a few more than that on AA that just haven't seen or voted in the poll. And I'm sure there are more that just aren't frequenting the forum.

I suppose one of the more important aspects about the continuation of the hobby is what us older folks who know more about it all leave behind. Having museums, where people can use the machines (not just look at them), and good websites for obtaining information and downloading programs. The websites that exist now are only getting better and better, such as Atarimania, Atariarchives, Atarimagazines, Atarimuseum, and things like the podcasts, etc. And of course a vast amount of information can be found here on AA. Other than that, we can introduce younger people to the mahcines, and show them what is interesting and unique about them. There's no reason the hobby has to die with a generation.

• Like 1

Just like with vintage cars or classical cars - railway enthusiasts - there should be no reason why not? That classical computing / retrogaming can continue also in the future.

I do see emulation being an important aspect of keeping the old Atari's alive - that anyone can/should have easy access to the various games, etc etc. That tablets with a suitable controller will be part of this. Anyone who has any interest in videogames - should check out what the Atari home computers were capable of - and I'll guess it will be those very unique games which will stand out from the rest? It should certainly show how creative and resourceful the programmers were back then...

All history is important - and it is nice to be part of that special period - in which you had no idea of how things will turn out?

Harvey

Another thing is that the Atari 8-bits don't really stand alone in the retro-computing realm; they're really just a branch in the 8-bit range of retro-computing machines, which I see as much less likely to die off.

Good point. Very few manufacturers had such a broad line of compatible machines.

I'm 33 but my early forays into programming were in Atari BASIC.... which led to learning another BASIC or two.... which led to learning HyperTalk and C on a Mac Plus which replaced my dead XE. Even being fairly young and riding the tail edge of 8-bit viability as a primary machine, I still got a lot out of them.

The old 5200 was fun when I was little and my Lynx was downright awesome too. Could destroy healthy vision in 5 minutes flat but KOLORZ!!!

I may have to get a Vectrex again too. That thing was pure awesome. And no emulator can truly do it justice.

Another thing is that the Atari 8-bits don't really stand alone in the retro-computing realm; they're really just a branch in the 8-bit range of retro-computing machines, which I see as much less likely to die off.

Good point. Very few manufacturers had such a broad line of compatible machines.

Maybe what I said wasn't entirely clear. What I mean by "a branch in the 8-bit range of retro-computing machines", is that they are really bound together with all the 8-bit machines (e.g.: C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Etc.). Interest in any one 8-bit typically breeds interest in one or more of the others because of their similarities. They share many common software titles, share some of the same microprocessors, and share general capabilities as well. So I feel the Atari 8-bit's strength for longevity shouldn't be judged by itself alone, but by all the 8-bit machines together as a class; which I would say gives the Atari 8-bits a higher chance for survival.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Something like a Playstation 3 will be dead in 30 years. No server, no patches for the discs and defective hardware.

But the Ataris will survive and boot in seconds.

Graphics, sound and Basic language are still interesting then.

If we want to keep this, we have to keep information about the system. It would be great if AA still would be available in 30+ years to provide a lot of information to the next generations.

I don´t know how the hardware can be saved. Maybe the MIST-Project is an answer. Who else can keep the existing Ataris from getting recycled, because the owners left earth?

As far as preserving the Atari 8-bit hardware, I imagine someone will eventually recreate it in one form or another, like what was done for the 5200 some time back: Compact 5200 System

The same user, wt808, has mentioned plans to do something similar with the 8-bits, although he said it would not be based on the same design as the 5200 system.

I think candle was toying around with the idea of recreating the 8-bit hardware to fit in a small sized case some time back too.

That's what I thought. I also like the idea of using an ST case to house an 8-bit, add a numeric pad to the keyboard, give some open space for adding things like a hard drive, and -- for those with an integrated 3.5" floppy -- utilize that.

Edited by MrFish

Yes, I like that idea, as I first mentioned it (small footprint board) in my post about the 5200 recreated board. But I also think it would be cool to put a (whatever sized) board into an ST case in order to gain all the benefits mentioned -- mainly the numeric keys. I'm personally not overly concerned about sacrificing an ST case.

Edited by MrFish

• 3 weeks later...

Revival as a fun toy/electronics hobbyist platform maybe. When you can get multicore 32-bit ARM boards with a 3D accelerator that suck less power with a myriad of interfaces and GPIO pins for less than $50 even that niche becomes smaller.

If people started shoving those boards into plastic cases with a mediocre integrated USB keyboard you'd have a modern stab at the home computer.

If you old people weren't so DAMN ENTHUSIASTIC about your ancient computers, I probably never would have gotten interested in them and given the 800 XL a spin. I'm an Apple guy but I vastly prefer Atari 8-bit to the Apple ][, which I actually did use as a kid.

I'll be 30 in May though, so I guess I'll get to join some of you in the higher age bracket LOL

• Like 1