IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Soldered on LCD is common back in the day. You cut the ribbon when you sega nomad mod. No big deal. Just need to know the solder points.

On a side note. I'm truly amazed at the amazing things coming out these days for retro gamers. If 2014 was the year of the NESRGB then 2015 is the year of the Lynx lcd mod (in terms of top technical achievement, in my book anyway). Congrats on an amazing product.

My offer still stands on beta testing lcd only mod for GG! ;-)

Soldered on LCD is common back in the day. You cut the ribbon when you sega nomad mod. No big deal. Just need to know the solder points.

On a side note. I'm truly amazed at the amazing things coming out these days for retro gamers. If 2014 was the year of the NESRGB then 2015 is the year of the Lynx lcd mod (in terms of top technical achievement, in my book anyway). Congrats on an amazing product.

My offer still stands on beta testing lcd only mod for GG! ;-)

No, not just cutting the ribbon. It's much more easier! You just pull off the ribbon carefully like tape, because we need the solder points on the PCB. When I have finished the quick guide for the LYNX-I, I'll post it.

I'm trying something out for my VGA connector. I'm not sure I want to cut into my Lynx case yet so I found something that just barely fits in the slot left by the Brightness dial. If this works I'll post more pics. The one problem with the design is it isn't keyed so I'll need to put a label on the adapter cable that says "This side up" or something.

post-3314-0-42010800-1427460374_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-52983300-1427460375_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-42379300-1427460376_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Success! I soldered another female pin header to two of the holes left by brightness dial to act as support for the main header sticking out of the slot. It helps hold everything together without having to use a glue. It does cause the header to angle a little bit but it isn't very noticeable.

post-3314-0-08441200-1427486264_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-76388100-1427486114_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm trying something out for my VGA connector. I'm not sure I want to cut into my Lynx case yet so I found something that just barely fits in the slot left by the Brightness dial. If this works I'll post more pics. The one problem with the design is it isn't keyed so I'll need to put a label on the adapter cable that says "This side up" or something.

attachicon.gifvga1.jpgattachicon.gifvga2.jpgattachicon.gifvga3.jpg

Fantastic solution !

I couldn't help but notice your PowerPC 6116CD Macintosh. I have one just like it and love it. Mine's upgraded with 264MB RAM, 500MHz Sonnet G3 CPU, CD burner, 50GB HD, and I have both the High Performance Video card and the Capture Card. It runs Mac OS 9.1 great.

Also, I love your VGA output solution. Kinda makes me regret cutting my Lynx, even though I did a very clean install. I still need to post pics of it. :)

• Like 1

I couldn't help but notice your PowerPC 6116CD Macintosh. I have one just like it and love it. Mine's upgraded with 264MB RAM, 500MHz Sonnet G3 CPU, CD burner, 50GB HD, and I have both the High Performance Video card and the Capture Card. It runs Mac OS 9.1 great.

Also, I love your VGA output solution. Kinda makes me regret cutting my Lynx, even though I did a very clean install. I still need to post pics of it. :)

Thanks! What I really want to do is make a docking connector for VGA and controller system functions but there definitely isn't enough space in the Brightness slot for that. I'm considering a DB-25 port on the back of the Lynx below the cart port (if there's enough room, I'm not sure yet). Failing that, I may just go with more pin headers with some way of keying it.

Yes, that's my first computer! Bought in 1996. Sounds like yours is very nicely upgraded. I didn't realize you could go that high with the RAM. I added a 250MHz Sonnet G3 upgrade to mine back in 2004 and it remained my main desktop computer until 2006. The highest OS I've put in it is 8.6 due to the limited RAM I have in it (80MB, IIRC). It shares the display/keyboard/mouse with my Blue & White G3. I played a lot of games and learned C programming on that Mac so it's a keeper. I boot it up every now and then. It's the only PowerPC Mac in my collection with its own distinct startup chime.

@McWill

Is there any chance you can show us your prototype GameGear mod? [i know this is an Atari forum...] I'm thrilled to mod my Lynx, but the GameGear could really do with it too.

Best,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

for the tests at present it is the same board as the LYNX mod. But the firmware isn't the same. But there will be a lot of changes of the PCB design, cause of the holes for the screws etc. When I've finished the GG or NOMAD mod PCB, I'll make an update.

All the tests (LYNX, GG, NOMAD) take a lot of time! But I also will make a video of all when I've finished :-D

• Like 5

Payment sent.

I came to this site only a few months ago for some ROMs to set up an emulator and play an old Lynx game I coded and now I'm re-addicted. Can't wait for the multi-cart! Amazing what you guys are putting together for this system. Thanks McWill!

Mah poor wallet!!!

I have 2 Game Gears (one single ASIC and one twin) that could use a new LCD. Both have been recapped but the game still looks shit on it. Old LCD doesn't look as good when you compare to modern LCD like those in 3DS and cell phones. (I also have Majesco GG, it looks slightly better and it will remain stock)

I also might do another LCD Lynx mod.

Sooooo..... no sushi for about 2 months? I will miss that nice spicy calamari sushi.

Re Nomad mod: I did composite mod on mine using new 3.5" LED LCD and new power inverter and it's awesome. Too bad gamegear doesn't have composite out. So got to wait. I know of at least 10 customers of mine that would want GG lcd / no rgb port.

@McWill

Question about the Nomad mod: will this connect by tapping into the composite out port, as the present LCD mods do now, OR will connect a different way?

I prefer digital, not analog video. The old display has digital data lines. So you have a better control of each pixel on the LCD, but you have to solder some more wires.

• Like 1

I prefer digital, not analog video. The old display has digital data lines. So you have a better control of each pixel on the LCD, but you have to solder some more wires.

Excellent! I was hoping\expecting you were going say that. You're going to have to make a lot of these, as I also have a LYNX, GG, and more than 1 Nomad...

Just a crazy idea. New LCD for Microvision!!! Be able to play it in the dark! Microvision LCD is stupidly simple compared to Lynx and GG LCD. 16 rows and 16 columns all directly controlled so it is possible to tap into all 32 lines, compute the image, and feed it into new LCD. Maybe even with variable color (ie instead of black squares on white, have white on black or other color combination)

I'll take the GG LCD first when it's out. The RGB mod out there does not handle 2 different sizes gracefully and when fed to monitor (or with new LCD), Game Gear games ends up shrunk while SMS retains full size. I've asked, the creator of RGB board admitted there's not enough processing power left in his FPGA to manually resize GG images to eliminate black borders.

Ok, i just had my Lynx II modded with this and i have found a pretty big problem that we noticed at last night's ComLynx event. When I hooked this up to all my other Lynx's for playing Checkered Flag, Slime World, etc, it made all the other units look like utter crap! :-D I mean EVERYONE was fighting over wanting to use this instead of the 'classic' Lynx screens! ;) But seriously, it looks like i have to mod my other Lynx's in due time otherwise when i take them to EB Expo, PAX Aus, etc, there's going to be a brawl to see who ends up with the LCD piece :(

On another note, we hooked up McWill's VGA mod to the projector and played on that as well, and WOW! What a great picture (especially with California Games)! You really have outdone yourself mate :) Unfortunately, the pics do not do this justice - you have to see it for yourself (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)!

I just posted up some pics from last night's ComLynx Party here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237081-comlynx-party-night/ with pics of it on the projector as well as Lynx II comparisons and a close of the gorgeous & vivid looking LCD screen from 8-P Slime World :lust:

• Like 4