IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Can you recommend a place to buy one from? Cheers!

According to the eBay seller Techbabe, she has quite a few lenses....but I am not sure I can recommend her as a source. I ordered this from her along with a battery hatch on the fourth of July. There was a delay on her shipping the items, they weren't actually shipped till the 10th. When they arrived on the 13th, I received two battery hatches. I relabeld the extra battery hatch return to sender and it was returned. After talking to her she apologized up and down and said she would send the item out emmediatly. Then on the 20th I send her another message requesting an ETA and tracking information....Last night I messaged her again and noted that I had not received any response. It was quickley replyed to with another round of apologies and her stating that a lens would be shipped out Monday the 27 along with tracking information.

I am a patient person and slow to upset, but this has become a bit rediculous. I have a hard time beliving that this person is a scammer when were only talking about 10 dollars, but time will tell I guess. It should only take 3 to 4 days for an item to get from Florida to Colorado, so if it has not arrived by this Friday, I will be taking action to get a refund and find another source.

Edited by Berdman000

I bought a total of 15 Lynxs from techbabe. Each time there was a problem from shipping to condition of the product.

Email after email, apology after apology, I finally got what I wanted but until she learns how to package an item for shipping, I've given up on her.

gxsrboy, I have an extra good one. Pm me if you want it.

OMG!!! Just completed my McWill GG mod. I'm totally shocked. I can see stuff in sonic the hedgehog I never saw before!! McWill. You got an awesome product there. Why are more people not talking about it? Is there another forum where this is discussed? This is by far the best thing that ever happened to the game gear!!!!!!

OMG!!! Just completed my McWill GG mod. I'm totally shocked. I can see stuff in sonic the hedgehog I never saw before!! McWill. You got an awesome product there. Why are more people not talking about it? Is there another forum where this is discussed? This is by far the best thing that ever happened to the game gear!!!!!!

Thank you very much Leon!

There is a thread on SMS POWER too and some german forums as NEXGAM and CIRCUIT BOARD.

Interestingly, Retro Collect has an article about a japanese gg lcd screen mod. There's something preventing me from posting a comment about yours.

It seems like more of a challenge to buy this japanese one.

Thanks for info! But the board has no scaling or retro options. Also the 3.5" LCD is not included. And the japanese board costs round about 70 EUR without LCD!

• Like 1

Interestingly, Retro Collect has an article about a japanese gg lcd screen mod. There's something preventing me from posting a comment about yours.

It seems like more of a challenge to buy this japanese one.

It's $77USD BEFORE you attach an LCD to it. LCD is $22usd. ... i buy McWills. They could have just fetched his FPGA code and copied it for all I know, it does appear suspiciously just after his. Nah. I'd try Candle's if he ever came in and finished, but, right now, the man seems busy on Atari computer stuff and maybe an Amiga thing from what I saw, so, more power to him. McWill did this, Did the Jaguar, etc. I loaned a buddy some cash so he could pay off bills early this month before a vacation and he's giving me back plus 20%, when I get that, I place my first order.

It's $77USD BEFORE you attach an LCD to it. LCD is $22usd. ... i buy McWills. They could have just fetched his FPGA code and copied it for all I know, it does appear suspiciously just after his. Nah. I'd try Candle's if he ever came in and finished, but, right now, the man seems busy on Atari computer stuff and maybe an Amiga thing from what I saw, so, more power to him. McWill did this, Did the Jaguar, etc. I loaned a buddy some cash so he could pay off bills early this month before a vacation and he's giving me back plus 20%, when I get that, I place my first order.

I don't trust Candle any more tbh. He took money from 5 or 6 of us for the LCD mod and then just disappeared and hasn't responded to messages. It has been pretty much 2 years now. All he had to say was it was delayed for reasons x, y, x etc.

I almost forgot about candle. There was another guy too. Forgot his name. McWill came in and knocked it out of the park. His LCD mods should be on the front page news here on AtariAge.

• Like 3

I spoke to McWill about the GGLCD. He's a very modest guy but I want to make others know the "truth".

It so happens that McWill sold one of his Lynx screens to a guy in Japan (by the same name as the GG LCD screen above!) Take it as rumour, I personally believe a guy in Japan reverse engineered the LYNX LCD screen and created a GG one.

Luckily, McWill finished his GG LCD screen which is much better with more features. I was lucky enough to get a copy and install it in my GG over the weekend. Here's some pics:

Before install:

before.jpg

Parts removed:

E13CCF74-E6FE-4FBB-8BE1-7B6882541BE3.jpg

Almost done install:

A82FAC9C-4703-407B-9F27-9D533B4740CA.jpg

50E7AC3E-5D8D-4C6A-8B7F-7DFC6458061E.jpg

Result:

done1.jpg

8B030005-D98D-40E8-B41E-98F145A6516C.jpg

Regular display:

normal.jpg

Hold all 3 buttons to turn on scanline generator!

scanlines.jpg

Thanks McWill for an awesome product. Sorry to hear others try to rip your code and sell as their own.

• Like 2

Hi Leon,

thanks for these pictures of your installation! :grin:
BTW: If you want to play SMS games on your GG, you also have to solder 1 wire from T10 to T11 (or T10 to VCC) on the upper right of the GG board. Otherwise the picture is ripped in SMS mode.

McWill

Edited by McWill

Man, that is amazing looking. Is it more work to install than the Lynx II version?

I'm sorry to hear about the guy reverse engineering your work, that is really low, I hope he won't sell much.

EDIT: Does anyone have the GG version of Prince of Persia? I wonder how that looks on the new screen, as it uses sub-pixel rendering.

Edited by Lamer Deluxe tm

Hey McWill. Yes. That wire was added after the picture was taken. I didn't wire and wires to the brightness pot as I didn't install VGA port.

Also I thought the scan line switcher was broken. Didn't realize you had to hold all 3 bottoms for 2 seconds.

Soldering the wires to the old LCD contact points is by far the most difficult part of the mod due to fine pitch between pads.

Also, the 4 holes for aligning LCD in opening never lined up for me. The pcb hit the cart connector and needed about 1mm more. But picture is perfectly in the middle.

Hi Leon,

thanks for these pictures of your installation! :grin:

BTW: If you want to play SMS games on your GG, you also have to solder 1 wire from T10 to T11 (or T10 to VCC) on the upper right of the GG board. Otherwise the picture is ripped in SMS mode.

McWill

Will this still allow GG mode to work or would it make this SMS only? Do I need to include a switch for T11 control?

Will this still allow GG mode to work or would it make this SMS only? Do I need to include a switch for T11 control?

You don't need a switch anymore as the old RGB-TV mod. The new GG mod is switching automatically. But you have to solder this wire permanent.