IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Will the Lynx display receive a scanline option at some point? Is the firmware upgradable at all?

YES! I already optimized some code of the firmware to get more free space in the CPLD and I have to make some tests.

The next batch will be delivered with scanlines and retro-style :-D

For all who wants to update their firmware: Send me an email and your LYNX mod. I'll update the firmware (10 EUR plus shipping cost).

• Like 2

YES! I already optimized some code of the firmware to get more free space in the CPLD and I have to make some tests.

For all who wants to update their firmware: Send me an email and your LYNX mod. I'll update the firmware (10 EUR plus shipping cost).

Would be interesting to see how that looks like on the screen then. ;)

Maybe the screen with scanlines looks more like the original screen, but with brilliant colours and much better contrast.

I like my new McWill-Lynx I, but I´m also interested how it looks with scanlines.

Maybe the scanlines could be switched on and off by the user? ;-)

Sleepy

Wow, that is some cool news, I wasn't expecting that. Is it at all possible to update the firmware yourself? I have a USB to TTL converter.

What exactly is "retro-style?" The scanlines I can do without (point of the mod was to improve visuals! ;))

The Lynx has a vertical scanline effect, because the RGB subpixels are arranged in vertical lines. It makes the pixels look less blocky.

Wow, that is some cool news, I wasn't expecting that. Is it at all possible to update the firmware yourself? I have a USB to TTL converter.

The Lynx has a vertical scanline effect, because the RGB subpixels are arranged in vertical lines. It makes the pixels look less blocky.

Ah, I'm assuming someone has done a video comparison of default vs. "retro" on the Lynx and GG?

It is possible to update the firmware, but just I can do it! Sorry, but I only have the firmware and I can't give it others cause of copy protection ;)

Firmware updates are a bit iffy. They allow others to copy McWills code. Not sure if he's willing to do that. Also. I don't believe it can be done. There's no input on Lynx pcb for buttons input!

You don't need other input pins for the LYNX mod.

SURPRISE :-D

On the LYNX-II we have the backlight button => push 1x, normal screen; push 2x retro-style; push 3x VGA; push 4x VGA with scanlines

The same with LYNX-I, but there we have to switch by the backlight thumbwheel.

Wow McWill!

You keep surprising me with all of your amazing developments!

Thanks a million for doing this screen for the Lynx community, I can't thank you enough!

:grin: Thank you!

BTW: The LYNX mod is out of stock! The next batch is available in september 2015.

• Like 1

Relieved my modded Game Gear today and it is beautiful!!

I took it down to the local retro gaming store to buy some more games for it... Ok so I just wanted to show off my new system, and yes everyone was blown away! They get a lot of Game Gears brought in for trade but don't sell any, the reason is they have a HUGE fail rate on the Game Gears they sell and so have just been holding on to them or selling them off in bulk in other venues. I took the time to educate them about the new screen, so who knows maybe, hopefully, they will bulk buy some screens and start adding Game Gears to their stock!

Thanks again McWill!

On the LYNX-II we have the backlight button => push 1x, normal screen; push 2x retro-style; push 3x VGA; push 4x VGA with scanlines

I´m looking forward to fit my Lynx II!

Sleeπ

It is possible to update the firmware, but just I can do it! Sorry, but I only have the firmware and I can't give it others cause of copy protection ;)

Okay, that is understandable.

Cool trick with the backlight button. On the Lynx I by using the backlight wheel, wow, so the position of the wheel sets the display mode? That is really awesome.

Not good at soldering. Is it possible to send you my Lynx 2 for the modifications?

The LYNX-II mod is easy to install, but you also can send me your LYNX-II for installation.

After being 100% impressed with the McWill mods for both lynxes, I am 1000% impressed with the McWill GG mod! McWill clearly has some sort of unearthly super power.

Looking forward to the Nomad mod!

PC Engine GT / Turbo Express next please McWill!

mqark are you sure man? The PCEGT/TE mods with composite LCD's look pretty great in general and are way cheaper to implement.

Same with the Nomads. Yes, likely we can just use a SGG mod with diff code, but, McWill has sofar made the not yet possible a reality:

For those 2 systems, that's definitely an upscale mod with questionable ROI for end user and modder.

Yes, it's better. No, it's not 'worlds better' while playing. Once it's moving.... eeeehh... it's better but so slight, for $80 more. That's what i'm saying.

McWill, any way to just make the SGG mod the same mod for the other 2 systems mentioned? The PC Engine GT/NEC Turbo Express and the Sega Nomad?

I figure it's probably an issue of turning scaling off actually, but, you'd know much more having developed it.

Also... ALSO... the PCE GT/TE screens are 2.5 in lcd, so, while 3.5in lcds do sit in it just fine you need to get a new front cover to show off the screen.

They look great that way, BUT, you need that as well.

LOL, works perfect for me. I loaned a buddy that money with $100 interest to be paid back so he could pay bills off early before going to Las Vegas for a certain con there right now. When he gets back, I order. Also, that was Otakon money, but, Otakon was a sad sad sad place this year IMHO, i spent very little money, on l unch, and wen't home (i'm local).

I don't have to make believe i had fun since I have no travel on that one.

Will SGG mods be available in Sept as well or you don't know>?

BTW: The LYNX mod is out of stock! The next batch is available in september 2015.