IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference this mod makes wow!!!!

If doing this yourself I suggest using a hot air soldering tool if possible to remove the small smd parts and like others have mention use a #30 size cable at least for the small lcd connections this will save you a lot of headaches.

I use 30 gauge Kynar wire (mod or wire wrapping wire) for all the connections. It is easy to work with. Regarding hot air, that does work pretty well, just be sure not to have the air speed too high or you'll blow off a lot of small things :)

Or set it too hot. It'd melt the plastic! Nothing like spending 3 hours picking away the melted LCD frame and melted CCFL reflector so you can slide the new LCD in.

Good point.... I set mines to about 250 and low speed that worked very well. But for those that don't have a hot air system a fine point tip and tweezers do the trick also.

• Like 1

It is fairly challenging to install one into Game Gear, especially if it hasn't been recapped because it's pretty much required. Cap kit is under $10 from some places like console5 but a full install, off hand I don't know anyone who is offering this mod specifically.

I've done this mod myself and I can do it without VGA port.

Consolized GG have been done.

http://www.lcv.ne.jp/~mgs1987/sega/gg10.html

Frickin' sweet mod by that Japanese guy. With McWill's VGA mod it'd work better since both game modes would always be full screen with old school scanline. With the older RGB mod, the GG games would always end up shrunk due to the way GG console handled video modes.

I had considered consolized Lynx but I can't do plastic work at all. The 7800 look-alike flashback console is too small to be used and I don't want consolized Lynx to look like 2600 or Genesis. A mini Jaguar shell would be frickin' nice but only if a certain dickhead hadn't dragged the design through mud trying to make Coleco Chsmeleon.

• Like 3

I started envisioning a consolized Lynx using an LCD with a rotating display. I sketched out schematics so that you could electrically "rotate" the joystick by flipping a switch (better yet, use a switch that detects when the display is rotated). I couldn't decide if I wanted a fully-consolized Lynx or to have a docking station for my modified Lynx. Either way, it didn't get past the "envisioning" stage. Real life n'stuff...

I did one of these for a customer a while back. Now I have some more people who are interested in getting this mod done - but I really hate the price from Germany. Has anyone become a US redistributor that anyone knows of?

Are you kidding, it's the bargain of the century. I don't think McWill is charging enough.

• Like 1

Are you kidding, it's the bargain of the century. I don't think McWill is charging enough.

Well I don't know what his profit margin is - but I do imagine that he likely gets these manufactured for around $20 to $35 per unit. So the fact that he's charging $107 for each screen is a pretty nice profit margin for him. But am I talking about cheap Chinese slave labor prices or this screen.

Anyways, I'm fine with paying $107, but shipping from Germany IS expensive besides waiting for customs, US importation tax, etc. makes getting these longer than 3 weeks. So having a US redistributor would be of great benefit to me, and anyone else who wants to order more than one, but not at the same time - makes this very inconvenient.

I read a couple pages back that someone was going to talk to McWill about being a US Redistributor. Does anyone know if anyone's done it?