IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Well I don't know what his profit margin is - but I do imagine that he likely gets these manufactured for around $20 to $35 per unit. So the fact that he's charging $107 for each screen is a pretty nice profit margin for him. But am I talking about cheap Chinese slave labor prices or this screen.

Anyways, I'm fine with paying $107, but shipping from Germany IS expensive besides waiting for customs, US importation tax, etc. makes getting these longer than 3 weeks. So having a US redistributor would be of great benefit to me, and anyone else who wants to order more than one, but not at the same time - makes this very inconvenient.

I read a couple pages back that someone was going to talk to McWill about being a US Redistributor. Does anyone know if anyone's done it?

The price is much more than 35 USD! These are high quality components and quality checked LCDs. If you use low quality, the components can be faulty or the LCDs have bad pixels. But my customers only get checked high quality products with warranty!

The shipping cost is cheaper in the EU, but sending parcels worldwide is more expensive as you know.

BTW: If you learn VHDL or VERILOG and spend a few thousand hours with testing and designing PCBs and source codes, you will have your own design and source code. But don't think it's easy...

• Like 8

I remember before we got this excellent mod from Mc Will, others tried similar mods with similar functionality. In the end those were not for free either, because as every engineer will know development does cost a lot of time and money. None of the other solutions I have seen so far did work that great with so many features than this mod here. Please let´s keep in mind this here is not some Nintendo DS flashcart made in China for millions of users, this is something for a quite limited target group.

To be honest this is one of the nicest mods I ever bought for any system and it was worth every cent, just saying...

• Like 3

The price is much more than 35 USD! These are high quality components and quality checked LCDs. If you use low quality, the components can be faulty or the LCDs have bad pixels. But my customers only get checked high quality products with warranty!

The shipping cost is cheaper in the EU, but sending parcels worldwide is more expensive as you know.

BTW: If you learn VHDL or VERILOG and spend a few thousand hours with testing and designing PCBs and source codes, you will have your own design and source code. But don't think it's easy...

Don't get me wrong - your mod is beyond excellent. The fact that you've built an upscaler into the screen is by far the most important, and impressive part of the mod. And I imagine that IT DID take you thousands of hours slaving over CAD designs, and likely more than half a dozen prototypes as well.

Anyways, wasn't complaining - Just saying that knowing the price of pre-assembled circuit boards from China; I was estimating the cost of assembling the screens at $25 - $30 since you get them in bulk. Anyways, if you could put your skills into designing RGB mods, HDMI mods, etc with built-in upscalers... the community would praise you as some sort of genius ;)

I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference these screens make! Here's a couple screen shots:

F4AEB5C8-A595-437A-81D9-D2F5833E2601_zps

875BFF4E-2A5C-4BAF-84D7-D257FD3B99B1_zps

3CAD281F-8066-4434-B41E-B25A96EB2550_zps

Installation is a bit....involved, and there's instructions for 2 different board variations. Mine was the more difficult (of course, lol), so I had a few of these bastards to deal with:

31B73E41-CA0D-4FF3-8F08-C0E944AEA547_zps

ABSOLUTELY worth the price! On games like Sonic, there's no blur, which makes them 1000 times more playable.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the Screen mod for my Lynx model I and LOVE IT! The screen is great! It is bright and clear! The VGA output is great too! I'll be honest though, If you don't have some serious soldering skills, you are far better off sending your unit off to McWill to do the mod for you! I've been doing electronics repair my whole life but still found this mod challenging!

If you do undertake this yourself and have a Lynx model I, I advise you to take a vga cable, cut it open, and use the wires for this project. VGA cables have very thin wires and you will need thin to solder the wires on pins 14, 16, 18, 31, 36, 39, 41 and 58. It also would not hurt to have some solder braid and a solder sucker too.

As far as the price is concerned, anything great costs a lot! It takes time and skill to develop these things. He should be rewarded for his efforts! You don't do a mod project like this cheaply. It is an expensive undertaking, but worth it. In the end you have something very special!

Hats off to McWill for such an amazing mod!

Below are some pictures I took. The pictures really don't to it justice though. It looks even better in person.

Photo%20May%2003%207%2026%2056%20PM_zpsg

Photo%20May%2003%207%2031%2000%20PM_zpsp

Photo%20May%2004%205%2046%2020%20PM_zpse

Photo%20May%2004%205%2043%2055%20PM_zpsp

Photo%20May%2004%205%2053%2022%20PM_zpst

Photo%20May%2003%209%2033%2055%20PM_zpso

Photo%20May%2004%205%2054%2051%20PM_zpsa

Photo%20May%2004%205%2053%2001%20PM_zpse

I also have a video that I took. You can view it here:

http://vid1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee409/apr2499/Video%20May%2003%207%2020%2002%20PM_zpsoimy530k.mp4

Edited by apr2499
  • Like 4

Just wondering if there is any update on the Sega Nomad LCD replacement. Whilst the cheapo £13 LCD replacement I currently have is much better than the original screen, it is no match for McWill's Lynx/GG screens I have.

It's about time that I fixed my Nomad's screen, and while we wait for McWill to dazzle us, (I'm hoping he does TurboExpress first), can you tell me how you modded your Nomad?

Yup

I followed this guide

http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/sega-nomad-lcd-upgrade/

Bought this screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281977037389

And next I am going to follow this guide to put internal batteries in the Nomad. Although I am trying to work out how to fit an RGB power LED to indicate, charging, discharging (ie playing it) and low battery.

http://portablesofdoom.org/?p=286

In fact I have a second Nomad on its way which I will mod in the same way. Also I think I will follow this guide and add a proper brightness control to the new LCD screen.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/proper-brightness-control-for-sega-nomad-screen-mod.50868/

Also I have region modded it to support some of the picky PAL games I own. And have modded to allow Master System games to work from either a Powerbase 2 or Everdrive.

Edited by radiokid

Yup

I followed this guide

http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/sega-nomad-lcd-upgrade/

Bought this screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281977037389

And next I am going to follow this guide to put internal batteries in the Nomad. Although I am trying to work out how to fit an RGB power LED to indicate, charging, discharging (ie playing it) and low battery.

http://portablesofdoom.org/?p=286

In fact I have a second Nomad on its way which I will mod in the same way. Also I think I will follow this guide and add a proper brightness control to the new LCD screen.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/proper-brightness-control-for-sega-nomad-screen-mod.50868/

Also I have region modded it to support some of the picky PAL games I own. And have modded to allow Master System games to work from either a Powerbase 2 or Everdrive.

Radiokid, I took a little bit of a different approach to batteries for the Nomad. I modified the external battery pack to take AA batteries. It works great!

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2048%20PM_zpse

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2021%20PM_zpsl

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2032%20PM_zpsq

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2050%2039%20PM_zpsz

Edited by apr2499
  • Like 1

!?!?

You guys know that the Sega Nomad has an accessory that simply takes 3 AA batteries! I think this is the best approach. You toss in 6 high quality AA rechargeable batteries and you're good to go. In 2 years time when the batteries go tits up, you toss them out and buy 6 more. No hacking, no slashing, no modding. Sega already gave you a solution 25 years ago!!

• Like 1

I have to defend McWill on this. Only one other guy, a well respected one, ever got this to work and he ended up having life happen and has dropped out of site, our much beloved Candle, who apparently still may owe a couple of people money for pre orders, hopefully he will check messages and see that soon, not me though.

McWill is fully entitled to make money and this is a low volume item. I doubt if sketched out across how much time he put into this, he's never made it all back in terms of hours put in.

BTW: If you learn VHDL or VERILOG and spend a few thousand hours with testing and designing PCBs and source codes, you will have your own design and source code. But don't think it's eas

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie. My next foray into this will involve Velcro, lol!! People don't want it to be permanent.
Chinese battery pack mod, lol. External in case, plugging into 2 prong power jack mod or the AC jack.

Radiokid, I took a little bit of a different approach to batteries for the Nomad. I modified the external battery pack to take AA batteries. It works great!

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2048%20PM_zpse

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2021%20PM_zpsl

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2052%2032%20PM_zpsq

Photo%20Apr%2011%208%2050%2039%20PM_zpsz

I just finished upgrading my second Atari Lynx model 1. She may be a bit beat up on the outside, but she's beautiful on the inside thanks to McWill's screen mod!

Here are some pictures I took with this screen mod as well as some pictures with the two McWill Modded Lynx's together with a ComLynx cable in two player mode of War Birds!

Again I want to say "Well Done" to McWill for this screen mod! My Lynx's have never looked better! I also want to reiterate that this is not an easy mod to do for the Lynx 1. It is quite stressful and takes skill to solder the wires to pins 14, 16, 18, 31, 36, 39, 41 and 58. Also make sure you have some good really thin solder, and a soldering gun with a really thin tip. Also I would recommend taking a VGA cable and cutting it open an using those wires for the mod as they are really small thin wires.

If you are not really skilled with a soldering iron, I'd highly recommend sending this off to McWill to have him do the mod for you. Whatever price you pay him to do the mod for you is cheaper than ruining your Lynx!

These pictures really don't do it justice! The screen looks even better in person!

Photo%20May%2029%204%2024%2018%20PM_zps3

Photo%20May%2029%204%2024%2012%20PM_zpsa

Photo%20May%2031%208%2030%2039%20AM_zpsc

Photo%20May%2031%208%2041%2030%20AM_zps6

Photo%20May%2031%208%2043%2037%20AM_zpsn

Photo%20May%2031%208%2048%2027%20AM_zpsv

Photo%20May%2031%208%2048%2044%20AM_zps7

Photo%20May%2031%208%2049%2033%20AM_zps2

Photo%20May%2031%208%2050%2007%20AM_zpsw

Photo%20May%2031%208%2050%2054%20AM_zpso

Stun Runner on the VGA monitor in Scanline mode!

• Like 2