IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Just Finished fitting my McWill Lynx 2 mod with vga output . What can say, my old screen was perfect or so I thought. New screen is wow amazing. The quality is second to none . Can't stop playing my Lynx now . Thank you McWill . Highly recommend, was a bit dubious as owned my Lynx from new since 1991. But so worth fitting this mod .

If you haven't bought a kit allready , I'd highly recommend McWill mod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm, I seem to have a few issues with the LCD....

First of all there is a horizontal white line permanently on the bottom of the screen.

Second, the brightness somehow seems to be too high, which causes "banding".....or......not sure how to name it, but in general the blacks on my LCD seem too bright, making them gray, and whenever there are objects on the screen, there are horizontal stripes "going along" with them.....

Did I do anything wrong ?

I found the issue. It's the LCD itself. It seems to be faulty.

I can send just the LCD and you exchange it or you can send your LYNX and I will change it.

Sorry for the trouble!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a recapped GG Ready for McWill and shipped it to him from the UK to Germany, in very reasonable time he Modded it with his New Screen and I opted for the Glass instead of the normal GG pasticky front and he sent it back to me and its perfect.

So next step is for me to source a Lynx II to send to him to do these mods to it, I dont want to mod my original Lynx II, keeping that in my Handheld collection.

Fantastic work, very carefuly done, highly recommend his services.

I am desperately awaiting his upcoming PCE GT screen mod

:-D

• Like 1

Did another McWill GG install today. This time I got unlucky, a 1 chip! (lots more components to remove and soldering than 2 chip). But that's OK, did it all under my scope and works great.

couple fo suggestions: R24 replaced by R30? That resistor is a penny. Why not ship it with the kit and mark it as such (not to confuse with other resistor). Some people will use wide solder tip to heat both pads of resistor and flick it off. This process kills resistors. I prefer to put new resistor than reuse.

Vcc and GND instructions not clear. Especially for those not using the wheel to control backlight/have VGA out.

I ended up finding 5V and GND on port that goes to the power pcb. Closest hence least issues.

Apart from that, instructions are much better than I remember. And as always, breathtaking when first turned on.

Marco. I want my NOMAD screen!! ;)

Hi, I'm going mad with a 2 asics Mcwill screen modded GG: the sms converter doesnt'work!

If I put it in another GG I've got (one asics) the converter works well.

I was thinking about the GG cartdrige connector, so I spent the whole afternoon changing the connector with another one taken form another not working gg

(not very simple desolder it also with the warm air gun)

But nothing to do. Same thing. Exactly.

The converter doesn't work even if the console is mounted or also if I try with the PCB dismounted.

Any idea?

The GG games work well.

I found the issue. It's the LCD itself. It seems to be faulty.

I can send just the LCD and you exchange it or you can send your LYNX and I will change it.

Sorry for the trouble!

Took me quite some time to finally send of the "perfect" Lynx to McWill but he very QuickType replaced the LCD and even fixed it with hotglue, which is a great idea to do as the 4 plastic screws and the required "cut-out" spacers aren't a very sturdy set-up.

I of course already had a good idea what the screen was like from pics and of course partly from the one I had installed before but man,.....now I have a 100% good LCD this Lynx is really perfect (well at least the picture is ;);))

Big Thank You for the excellent service McWill !!!!!!

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm going mad with a 2 asics Mcwill screen modded GG: the sms converter doesnt'work!

If I put it in another GG I've got (one asics) the converter works well.

I was thinking about the GG cartdrige connector, so I spent the whole afternoon changing the connector with another one taken form another not working gg

(not very simple desolder it also with the warm air gun)

But nothing to do. Same thing. Exactly.

The converter doesn't work even if the console is mounted or also if I try with the PCB dismounted.

Any idea?

The GG games work well.

Have you cleaned the pads of the SMS converter?

If you also want to play SMS games on the GG, the 1ASIC is the better choice, because the 2 ASIC has some mapper issues with SMS games. It's the same with original LCD.

• Like 1

Have you cleaned the pads of the SMS converter?

If you also want to play SMS games on the GG, the 1ASIC is the better choice, because the 2 ASIC has some mapper issues with SMS games. It's the same with original LCD.

Hi! Yes I have.

Anyway, I lifted the internal pins of the connector for cartdrige and now it works.

(I could try this way with the old one...instead replacing it...too late....)

Anyway...

Thanks for the information...very interesting...infact as you says, on 4 games for sms I tried...one has some defects.

Out Run: coloured squares appears continuously on the image, during game.

On 1 asic it doesn't happen. It's strange...it's the first time I'm hearing about this thing.

Do you know if there is a system to recognise a 1 asic without an opening? Rear label size for example?

.... On 1 asic it doesn't happen. It's strange...it's the first time I'm hearing about this thing.

Do you know if there is a system to recognise a 1 asic without an opening? Rear label size for example?

On the original LCD you won't notice it too much, but it's still there ;-)

Have a look at the label, if it's an 1ASIC GG (serial number): Mostly the 2nd number is "3", then it's an 1ASIC GG. But there also exist some GGs with the 2nd number "2".

On the original LCD you won't notice it too much, but it's still there ;-)

Have a look at the label, if it's an 1ASIC GG (serial number): Mostly the 2nd number is "3", then it's an 1ASIC GG. But there also exist some GGs with the 2nd number "2".

Yes I know....but about your first phrase... I was saying on a 1 asic also with your screen....

On that one, the sms Out Run...runs perfectly....while on the two asics it doesn't. ;)

I didn't know that there was a difference in playing sms games between 1 and 2 asics.

At the moment, it's the unique game I've found with defects....anyone could tell me others?

Thank you for the information about the serial number also: very interesting! :)

Hey guys, i just got to do my Game Gear today.

Here's some eye candy :)

IMG-1483123195030-V.jpg

IMG-1483123168079-V.jpg

IMG-1483119570234-V.jpg

IMG-1483119559138-V.jpg

Just wanted to ask.... is it normal that the picture seems slightly to the left and not entirely centered? That is mostly obvious in the last picture.

I took great care in centering the LCD according to the markers on the 4 corners but still there is not complete uniformity, the picture is a bit to the left. On master system games the picture is centered.

Thanks for the great job McWill. This wouldn't be possible without you.

Edited by gtsamour

And just one more question.....

the whole picture seems a little bit bigger than the window on the GG screen. Specially the Sega logo on the lower Sonic starting screen, seems to be a bit cut off (hidden underneath the window). Could I have done something wrong at the installation causing incorrect aspect of the screen? I tripled check everything.... I think I saw someone else's pictures that the screen of the GG games fitted correctly.

DSC_0005_1.jpg

Edited by gtsamour

yes. It's normal. As McWill explained to me:

in GG mode it has 7 modes:

1. Scaled H+V

2. Scaled H+V scanlines

3. Native H (doubled resolution) + scaled V

4. Native H (doubled resolution) + scaled V scanlines

5. Native H+V (doubled resolution); upper and lower picture cut off!

6. Native H+V (doubled resolution) scanlines; upper and lower picture cut off!

7. Native H+V

hold A + B + start and one of the modes will horizontally stretched to fill the whole screen.