IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Who knows.... on mine the display was also shifted to the left but also on the lower part of the screen some graphics were hidden underneath the window as shown on the last picture of mine (1991 SEGA). Only when I pushed the screen on the highest possible point (with the pcb inside the casing) were the picture vertically aligned.

Excuseme....I know that this would be a discussion on Lynx McWill mod and we are on an Atari forum....

But talking about Sega Game Gear in general...

Could anyone tell me which Sega Master System games don't work well (with the Master Gear converter) on 2 asics machines?

I've tested (on a 2 asics MCWILL modded...so we remain in topic :-D ) :

Wonder Boy

Hang On

The Cyber Shinobi

Bubble Bobble

Super Monaco GP

Wimbledon

Double Dragon

Out Run

So the SMS games I've got

and only Out Run has problems (random colored squares on the screen....which don't appear on the 1 asic I've got)

Will take some photos later today.

post-38984-0-56298300-1484580708_thumb.jpeg

post-38984-0-33898500-1484580728_thumb.jpeg

post-38984-0-94791500-1484580739_thumb.jpeg

post-38984-0-97306800-1484580747_thumb.jpeg

(I attached the pics you sent me by email)

I guess the wiring of D0-D3 is incorrect. Please check again. Perhaps there's a short circuit at the old LCD ribbon. If the wires are correct, the SUZY IC could be defective.

I had several LYNX-II with defective SUZY ICs caused by overvoltage.

With original LCD mostly you won't notice it. But with my LCD mod you will see everything :grin:

I've been away from this thread awhile. Is a Nomand or Turbo Express application forthcoming?

Yes, will be coming. But it will takes a while yet, sorry.

Are the Game Gear screens still available, or will they be available in the coming months?

They should be available again this month.

A short shout from another happy Lynx II user that enjoys the new screen intensely!

Thanks a lot for this piece of hardware and the guy who installed it for me.

Now I'm just waiting for my time in the Multicard queue and than have a very nice piece of retro gaming equipment.

Edited by spudje

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, McWill:

New to the forum with a (hopefully working) Lynx II on the way. Where can I find your LCD-A/V mods, please? Also, as a novice to soldering, do you offer modding a mailed-in Lynx II with the LCD-A/V mod yourself? Thanks.

Sorry, didn't read down the forum far enough. Just found out where to get the mods.

Hi, McWill:

New to the forum with a (hopefully working) Lynx II on the way. Where can I find your LCD-A/V mods, please? Also, as a novice to soldering, do you offer modding a mailed-in Lynx II with the LCD-A/V mod yourself? Thanks.

Yes, I'm also doing installations. PM sent.

So I'm in the process of prepping my Lynx II for the McWill mod and was noticing that when I checked for the +5 at the + from the old coil I noticed that my lynx only shows +4.86v from that location? Is this fairly normal? Too low?

I have recently recapped it and replaced the Q12 mosfet. However, the original zener is still installed as the source I got everything from, didn't have the zener's yet to provide (But plan to soon). Anyway, my lynx is obviously not putting out anything near +5.45v but isn't really providing +5 fully either. I did test this with using the AC adapter plugged in and not batteries. But the Lynx power light doesn't blink or anything..so..yeah.

+4.86v fairly normal then and okay to move forward with the mod?