IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

So I'm in the process of prepping my Lynx II for the McWill mod and was noticing that when I checked for the +5 at the + from the old coil I noticed that my lynx only shows +4.86v from that location? Is this fairly normal? Too low?

I have recently recapped it and replaced the Q12 mosfet. However, the original zener is still installed as the source I got everything from, didn't have the zener's yet to provide (But plan to soon). Anyway, my lynx is obviously not putting out anything near +5.45v but isn't really providing +5 fully either. I did test this with using the AC adapter plugged in and not batteries. But the Lynx power light doesn't blink or anything..so..yeah.

+4.86v fairly normal then and okay to move forward with the mod?

Yes, 4.86 V is normal. The most LYNX are in the range 4.83 V - 4.9 V

Did one of my Lynx II McWill LCD screen installs today..

32714538732_7ba0cf7117.jpg

I still need to figure out how I want to mount the VGA connector on the side of the case, though will probably just use hot-glue as recommended. I did also remove the existing video ribbon connector to solder right through the holes.

Screen is now bright and beautiful..

32744488631_79955fd0ee.jpg

Beautiful work Marco!

• Like 1

And just finished doing my Lynx 1 model with it's new LCD display. Still very simple to install..

32109373053_7232b8d3d9.jpg

Use the 4 plastic screws (don't tighten too much), center it and fix it with hot glue (just a little bit). BTW: Try to use shorter wires ;-)

Edited by McWill

Yeah, I installed the screws after doing some testing first.. wanted to make sure everything worked before mounting the display. I did have a question why the display had notches instead of full holes for the screws? When I was finalizing the assembly it is a bit.. awkward, getting them aligned properly. Having a screw hole in the display that matched the hole in the Lynx PCB would have resolved this IMO, though maybe there was a different issue you were trying to solve with the current implementation?

Finished up my upgrade last night on my Lynx II. And it looks simply amazing! The only issue I have and had...is the crazy VGA connector. I know where everyone else has been placing them and it makes sense. The issue is what is the best way to cut out the opening? Tools used? Is there a template someone has made to help with drawing the area to be cutout? I used my dremel with the small router bit on it to get things started and then just used one of the small grit sanding bits to try and finish it up. But the hole ended up being way to large in places and even with careful measurement, the screw mount holes were still a tad off. So..yeah I might be okay with an iron in getting the work install and done, but shell modification is something I still need lots of assistance with.

For template, I used an old VGA video card and took the PCI bracket off, then taped it in place to get a mark. If you adjust the dremel bit and use a kit like this you could cut out the plastic while using the metal PCI bracket as a guide. Do make sure the bit is adjusted just right that it won't chew the metal bracket, just the plastic shell.

• Like 1

For the vga connector cut-outs on my Lynx I and Lynx II McWill upgrades, I just used an xacto knife, and took off small layers after layers from the top on downwards. While do it I kept test fitting the vga connector until I had the right depth of material removed.

Did mine over the weekend, very happy with the result. I had two small issues; the first was that there was some coating over the GND contact under the ribbon cable, so it wouldn't take solder. I tried to flux it up and then used circuit board cleaner and a wipe but it only took a tiny amount of solder, instead I used the GND over by the VGA connector. The second issue was I had no idea how to remove the ribbon cable, so i just left it in as I didn't want to break it by forcing it.

Before

TZ5ApsXl.jpg

After:

MNaoJDvl.jpg

mDIVxmhl.jpg

Edited by RestoLynx
  • Like 2

I finally got around to installing the mod in my Lynx II and in conjunction with SainT's SD flash cart, my Lynx is an amazing new machine.

However, I know your busy with other worthy handheld consoles, but maybe consider doing a Gameboy Color LCD mod. It certainly would benefit from a digital high res backlit screen and I reckon the demand would be massive.

• Like 2

I finally got around to installing the mod in my Lynx II and in conjunction with SainT's SD flash cart, my Lynx is an amazing new machine.

However, I know your busy with other worthy handheld consoles, but maybe consider doing a Gameboy Color LCD mod. It certainly would benefit from a digital high res backlit screen and I reckon the demand would be massive.

Perhaps in the future :grin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@mcWill do you know if anybody has been to install the kit into a VA4 Game Gear? It is a 1 ASIC but the board layout is much different then the VA0/VA1. I might attempt, but didn't want it to be a futil try if its known not to work.

Picture of the board? I know of 3 major versions of GG board. The 2 chips version, the 1 chip version, and the late revision 1 chip by Majesco.

Picture of the board? I know of 3 major versions of GG board. The 2 chips version, the 1 chip version, and the late revision 1 chip by Majesco.

There is a VA4. It is slightly different. I'd post a pic, but McWill has had mine for about a year and a half doing tests on it. I don't think he's done yet???