IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

ALL online stores have the newest firmware at present.

Indeed I planned a portable ATARI 2600 (original hardware with 6507 CPU or optional with 6502 CPU) with my own LCD mod 2 years ago, but haven't finished it yet. If some interest please let me know.

I would be very interested in a portable 2600 with your screen mod. I made this separate thread below here so as to not hijack this one. I was going to design a case for one that even has a paddle controller in it. I wanted to portable-ize a 2600 but the screen interface is holding me back. I don't want crappy composite so that makes difficult.

I will look into getting and doing your Lynx screen mod for now.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268497-building-the-ultimate-2600-portable/

Edited by DaveC1964

I just got my modified Game Gear and Lynx II back from the magical work done by McWill and I'm amazed at how much better these systems are with the new LCD screens. I cannot say enough how much it's worth it to get the clearer screen. It's literally like getting a brand new system. My vision is fairly terrible normally and with the older screens on the Lynx and Game Gear, the systems were pretty much unplayable for me before this modification.

Yes, they are tested very thoroughly and have no bad pixels, because I also hate it to have bad pixels. All LCDs are tested twice. But the LCD can be exchanged if they are damaged or so.

Yes, you can select scanlines/retro style by pressing the backlight button on the LYNX-II and by turning the backlight thumbwheel on the LYNX-I. The scanlines have 50% brightness.

Ok I just received the LCD mod. I see that everyone is using the GND under the ribbon connector for the mod. For me that is a bit dangerous because if I slip it will be absolutely curtains for the ribbon cable. I rather not mess with removing the LCD ribbon and stressing it. Can I use the GND that is near the VGA pads? Isn't GND all the same? I want to make sure it is before I use that easier to access solder point as no one seems to do it in their mod. I won't be using the VGA out if that matters.

Thanks.

Edited by DaveC1964

Please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread:

What kind of extra battery life for the Lynx does the McWill screen mod provide?

MillipedeMan

www.tubetunes.net

No problem ;-)

The battery life is about the same as before, because the PCB has more power consumption and the LCD less power consumption. But with better viewing experience :grin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had McWill mod 2 Game Gears and a Lynx.

I've only had time to check the GG's... WOW!

Fantastic improvement (I still have a working non-upgraded unit - won't be playing it!).

If you're into GG and can't do electronics work then I'd highly recommend this upgrade from him - worth every penny I spent (and yes it is rather expensive).

Jeff

PS hope to check out the upgraded Lynx in a day or so (Poo - had to work the weekend)

• Like 1

Quick question for others using the McWill display: Have any of you guys noticed screen tearing on the McWill display? I've been catching an effect that looks a bit like screen tearing when I move horizontally in Chip's Challenge. I suppose it could've always been there, but perhaps masked by the low contrast on the original LCD, but I've noticed it's not present in the Handy emulator.

It's a small complaint, really, as it's still much more pleasant to use than the original LCD, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed that, or I guess more importantly, if anyone had noticed anything similar happening with the original hardware.

Hi McWill! First, thanks for developing this. I bought one of your kits through Console5, and just finished installing it (with VGA). My lynx powers on, but the screen does not, nor does the vga out work when pressing the backlight. Just finished double checking all the wires, and they all appear to be going to the right places and no shorts that I see. Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me? wasnt sure if there are any additional steps if I have the VGA added on? Edit- model II install.

Edited by MayDay

Finally had a chance to play my McWill modded Lynx. Looks great. Don't have an unmodified unit to compare (I think?! - no time to look!) but very nice upgrade. It's worth the price whichever way you go (DIY or McWill)).

Looking forward to the future upgrades he may offer!

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi McWill! First, thanks for developing this. I bought one of your kits through Console5, and just finished installing it (with VGA). My lynx powers on, but the screen does not, nor does the vga out work when pressing the backlight. Just finished double checking all the wires, and they all appear to be going to the right places and no shorts that I see. Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me? wasnt sure if there are any additional steps if I have the VGA added on? Edit- model II install.

Thank you ;-)

I hope you made the 5 Volt test at the beginning.

When the LYNX powers on, the minimum you have to see is static on the 3.5" LCD. If not, please check the power wires +5 Volt and GND. If you mixed them up, the LCD mod was damaged.

If the power wires are correct, please check the voltage with a multimeter at the voltage regulator: One pad should read 5V (input), one pad 3.3V (output) and the other pad is GND.

Please also check the wires CL2 and RES.

If you also soldered the backlight wire, please desolder it for testing.

Perhaps you can post some pictures of your wiring.

My Lynx II has been McWill'ed too, what an awesome stuff ! Clear view, and really enjoyable to play :) My wife even stole it to play Skweek ;)

I let McWill do all the work with 5v mod, i recommend to everybody here to ask him if you want a perfect and serious job done !

Not really original, but some pics too :

21427135_1483356205082013_76724835925147

21552090_1483356208415346_81129796629833

21369053_1483356201748680_18279502469005

21368934_1483356241748676_16531920681158

Thanks a lot McWill !

• Like 4

My Lynx II has been McWill'ed too, what an awesome stuff ! Clear view, and really enjoyable to play :) My wife even stole it to play Skweek ;)

I let McWill do all the work with 5v mod, i recommend to everybody here to ask him if you want a perfect and serious job done !

Not really original, but some pics too :

21427135_1483356205082013_76724835925147

21552090_1483356208415346_81129796629833

21369053_1483356201748680_18279502469005

21368934_1483356241748676_16531920681158

Thanks a lot McWill !

I see you have Mateos 16in1 multicart. You should check out SainTs RetroHQ SD multicart.(Unless you already have it and just using Mateos's at the moment [emoji6])
  • Like 1