IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Seems like you are missing one connector on the lcd connector port. Shouldn't the white one also go there?

Double-check the pinout and voltage levels as well. Make sure the system is running around 5V.

Edited by per

The white wire is also OK, because it's the LYNX-II version C104129 with chipset of LYNX-I.
Have you done the 5-Volt check? Have you still sound, if you turn it on?
Please desolder all wires and just connect VCC 5Volt and GND. Then turn on with game inserted and you should have static on the screen. If not, have you mixed up the power wires? If yes, the mod kit was damaged, because the main chip was "fried".

Edited by McWill

The white wire is also OK, because it's the LYNX-II version C104129 with chipset of LYNX-I.

Have you done the 5-Volt check? Have you still sound, if you turn it on?

Please desolder all wires and just connect VCC 5Volt and GND. Then turn on with game inserted and you should have static on the screen. If not, have you mixed up the power wires? If yes, the mod kit was damaged, because the main chip was "fried".

No static, still white.

5v tests good, sound plays fine.

Power wires are not mixed up, using the backlight button the unit cycles through 4 modes as expected - 2x modes are white washed out, then off for x2 presses before back to white.

Could you send some closer pictures of the LCD ribbon of the mod kit? Perhaps it's damaged caused by the screw of the battery holder. If yes, I can send a new 3.5" LCD for exchange.
I also can check it, if you want. Then send the complete LYNX with LCD mod kit to my address.

It looks like some of your data wires are at risk of crossing when moving the screen around. Insulation may have burnt away on them while you were soldering. This would all make perfect sense seeing that it was all working fine until you put everything back together that something crossed over and shorted out something. Also too a couple of the wires there are a little thick and generally if I'm soldering to just pads like that I like to clean the board and use hot glue on those spots but especially with those thicker wires to help prevent the pad ripping off while moving around, and also it can help prevent those naked spots of the wires at the end from crossing over and touching one another. Try tinning the wire first, and then adding solder to the pads, clipping off any excess wire of the wires you tinned, then soldering to the pads. Once done with all wires then run a bead of hot glue all the way down the edge to help prevent the wires from moving around and breaking pads. EDIT: For a good example of how the wires soldered to the pads should look go back and look at per's post #1224, and the rest of the pics as well it is very neat.

Another thing I noticed as well were the data wires on the linx motherboard the orange wire looks like it has a loose strand at the end that could have bent over and shorted with another.

Also too(although it is working) the backlight wire I see too much showing there. The wire is really too big for that whole and there is too much solder there around next to the ground plane. I'll add a pic below of a mod I did the brown wire is the backlight. Per as well in post #1224 used an alternate spot for the backlight.post-54455-0-36039100-1518570113.jpg

Edited by SignGuy81

Could you send some closer pictures of the LCD ribbon of the mod kit? Perhaps it's damaged caused by the screw of the battery holder. If yes, I can send a new 3.5" LCD for exchange.

I also can check it, if you want. Then send the complete LYNX with LCD mod kit to my address.

You are correct, so exactly as you predicted. Ribbon was damaged by the battery compartment screw .

Also, Thank you for the offer, to fix this correctly I've arranged for Dragonbox to ship another LCD part to me. I will post an update when I get it and fit to my Lynx. Thank you so much for helping.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally after having the kit for like a year after I ordered it from Console5.com, finally installed the kit into my Game gear last night. What an amazing difference! And, as I correctly predicted, the GG mod is by far the most difficult I've had to do because of the SMD stuff involved. I haven't a hot air station or really any of the proper tools for SMD stuff so it was challenge. But I took it slow and focused and got it done in an evening and working on the first try!

BTW where is the best place to mount the VGA out on the GG? The casing halves are thinner than the Lynx II was, so it is looking like if I want to use the VGA out, I will have to give up a battery compartment?

What an ingenious product. I've checked the internet a bit and figured direct to the source might be best. What's the correct way to go about getting a Lynx II kit?

You can order the LCD kits if you are in the USA from Console5.com. That is where I originally ordered my kits for my lynx II and GG from like I said, about a year ago. If you plan to do the mods yourself, just be warned that the Lynx mod is of moderate difficulty while the GG mod is quite advanced. So if you aren't comfortable with doing it, you might want to seek out someone local or close to you to take care of it for you.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1