IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Just fit my screen and wow, what a difference! Except I have one problem... Red and green are swapped I thought I wired it correct but I guess I must've swapped something - it's a bit awkward to take the screen out and check that, could anyone tell me which two wires I have swapped?

As an aside, I think I really overestimated my electronics expertise, next Lynx I'll definitely send off to have done!

Looks like D0 and D1 may have been swapped - now it's fine, but reverts to a broken state (where some dark blue appear green, and various other colours are wrong) when I put the battery compartment in, so I guess D0 is making contact with something (likely D3) when it gets squished a little... I'm going to resolder the data lines tomorrow, I've done a pretty shoddy job...

Turns out D0 and D1 weren't swapped, it was just D0 making contact with D3 - but now I've found out that the buttons on the right side of the screen aren't working, so I'm giving up for the weekend :P (I reseated the controler cable, to no avail)

I have one more working Lynx 2 that I'm pretty tempted to just send off to have re-capped and a new screen fitted so at least I have one good Lynx 2 that I can play games with and another one I can experiment with (and I have an extra board that's completely kaput that I use to practice on). Alternatively, sending both Lynxes off to get sorted out...

Anyway, the screen looks great, but I'd caution anyone that isn't particularly handy with a soldering iron to maybe let someone else fit it :)

Resoldered today while I was still fresh and awake - all good now, very impressed with the screen. If anything it's a bit too bright! Enjoying my Lynx collection now, just hope I don't run into the power issues...

As long as you replaced the mosfet and zener diode and then checked the required voltage points after removing the needed components and everything was good...you should be good. If you only removed the components and then tested voltage and it was good, then you are good for the time being, but should think strongly on replacing the mosfet and zener.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I would expect the PVM to have trouble by default with an RGBHV signal, but both the Kenzei and 203rxi should be combining the sync into an RGBS signal. My PVM is also a multi-format monitor, so it supports 480p. Does anyone have a similar setup who has had success?

mikejmoffitt on the shmups forums clued me into a service mode setting that can be adjusted on the 20L5 that corrects this issue. It's not specific to the McWill mod - other VGA signals can be affected. I had to increase the "CLP P DLY" from 200 to 217 and this corrected my problem. It looks absolutely fantastic now!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the weirdest issue with the Lynx II mod, the LCD is displaying upside down and the colors are wrong. Otherwise it looks pretty amazing. :) Has anyone seen the display rotated 180 degrees by default? I've tried resoldering a few times, verified the wiring, and am coming up empty. It's not a C104129-001 board and I'm using the RES point so I assume it shouldn't be the jumper issue. Rotating it with the Lynx rotate button works to right the display, but the controls are then reversed and the colors are still weird.

I've had the weirdest issue with the Lynx II mod, the LCD is displaying upside down and the colors are wrong. Otherwise it looks pretty amazing. :) Has anyone seen the display rotated 180 degrees by default? I've tried resoldering a few times, verified the wiring, and am coming up empty. It's not a C104129-001 board and I'm using the RES point so I assume it shouldn't be the jumper issue. Rotating it with the Lynx rotate button works to right the display, but the controls are then reversed and the colors are still weird.

Pics of the screen on and wiring would help.
  • Like 1

This is good advice for anyone who sees a weird behavior.... If your screen has an odd effect, such as image up-side-down or image reversed or a missing color.. Examine the McWill screen flex circuit where it bends at the bottom of the screen.

If you are not careful (and even if you are), the cable can get pinched by the battery mount post and put a hole in the cable severing several lines in the cable. If this happens your screen is done for. You will need to buy a new screen.

• Like 2

I don't see any lines getting severed, but I guess if that's it I'll just put the original screen back in. It still works. :)

Edit: I definitely see it now, wish that was in the docs. Back to the original. :)

This is good advice for anyone who sees a weird behavior.... If your screen has an odd effect, such as image up-side-down or image reversed or a missing color.. Examine the McWill screen flex circuit where it bends at the bottom of the screen.

If you are not careful (and even if you are), the cable can get pinched by the battery mount post and put a hole in the cable severing several lines in the cable. If this happens your screen is done for. You will need to buy a new screen.

Edited by nyandeyanen

I don't see any lines getting severed, but I guess if that's it I'll just put the original screen back in. It still works. :)

Edit: I definitely see it now, wish that was in the docs. Back to the original. :)

You also just can exchange the 3.5" LCD of the LCD mod. Then you don't need a complete new LCD mod kit!

Putting the original screen back in is an option, but the new one has more contrast and powerful colors and the games are much easier to play IMO ;-)

• Like 2

Thank you, that's a good idea! Which LCD model would be a replacement for it? I did a quick search but didn't find much based on the identifying marks I could find on the display/flexi cable. There's quite a bit going on in that flexi cable, even some extra circuits! :)

You also just can exchange the 3.5" LCD of the LCD mod. Then you don't need a complete new LCD mod kit!
Putting the original screen back in is an option, but the new one has more contrast and powerful colors and the games are much easier to play IMO ;-)

• Like 1

I posted some of this to the Lynx SD card thread, but I just wanted to mention it here as well: McWill was nice enough to offer services of installing his LCD mod + VGA connector (and do a Best Electronics speaker install while it was open). I am extremely happy with the new LCD, and I've been having a lot of fun with my revitalized Lynx and SD card. It seems that the battery life is significantly improved too!

• Like 2

I've requested to be added to the list for the SD card too, I love seeing all the modern activity for the Lynx.

I posted some of this to the Lynx SD card thread, but I just wanted to mention it here as well: McWill was nice enough to offer services of installing his LCD mod + VGA connector (and do a Best Electronics speaker install while it was open). I am extremely happy with the new LCD, and I've been having a lot of fun with my revitalized Lynx and SD card. It seems that the battery life is significantly improved too!

Thank you, that's a good idea! Which LCD model would be a replacement for it? I did a quick search but didn't find much based on the identifying marks I could find on the display/flexi cable. There's quite a bit going on in that flexi cable, even some extra circuits! :)

Some people use LQ035NC111 for exchange.

You also can use one of my quality tested 3.5" LCDs with no pixel issues ;-) Then send PM please.

• Like 1

Thank you! I have a new display coming, the original screen will suffice until it arrives. I'll do the mod again with a better idea of the process this time around. And maybe a bit of electrical tape to protect the edge of the display connector. :)

Some people use LQ035NC111 for exchange.
You also can use one of my quality tested 3.5" LCDs with no pixel issues ;-) Then send PM please.

• Like 1

It seems the board is working fine, because you have static on the screen.
Please check CL2 and RES. Also if there's a short circuit at the old LCD ribbon with the pads around each wire!
Is it flickering, please check CL2. Otherwise check RES.
Please let us know the result.

Cheers,

Marco

Hi Marco.

Thanks for the reply! Definitely no shorts on the ribbon (all metered out)

Screen is static, not flickering.

Whats RES?

Also, the power FET and diode on my Lynx are knackered but the Lynx may be too as it had 10v through it. The croc clips are from a proper 5v supply to test the screen.

Just wanted to confirm my screen is ok so I can buy a new Lynx board for it.

PM you address for teating. Cheers pal.

Hi Marco.

Thanks for the reply! Definitely no shorts on the ribbon (all metered out)

Screen is static, not flickering.

Whats RES?

Also, the power FET and diode on my Lynx are knackered but the Lynx may be too as it had 10v through it. The croc clips are from a proper 5v supply to test the screen.

Just wanted to confirm my screen is ok so I can buy a new Lynx board for it.

PM you address for teating. Cheers pal.

Sorry, I meant TPR instead of RES. RES is for LYNX-II.

If you still have sound, the LYNX is working correctly.

I've seen the yellow wire (TPR) is not wired correctly?! Perhaps short between the big trace around TPR? So the LYNX mod kit can't update the screen datas.

Please check and the LCD will work correctly :grin:

Edited by McWill