IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Bought another PAG-0201, did the mod and works perfectly.

Installed it in my mint PAG-0200 chassis (reducing the joypad lugs) and now have a working McWill Screen!! Its awesome.

One question: It produces white noise for a millisecond when you turn it on. Is this normal?

Regards

Nick

The replacement screen came in and I put it on the mod and reinstalled. It looks good for the most part, but I wonder if I killed the display decoder on the mod board in the process. The display shows a static screen of random-ish garbage the entire time the system is on, probably the same screen that showed up for a split second previously when turned on, although I can hear sound from games and I can see the scanline emulation toggle if I hit the backlight button. The system and mod are working at a basic level at least. I checked all the lines and there are no wires crossed; no attempt was made to install the VGA output. I ensured the flexi cable on the LCD was protected with some non-conductive tape, and was careful not to squish it against the battery holder. There are no holes on the flexi cable when I look, that shouldn't be the issue this time. Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps I'm cursed? :)

Edited by nyandeyanen

If you have some colored static on the screen and the sound is working, both (the LYNX and LCD mod) are working fine.
Is the screen flickering, please check CL2 again. If not check RES/TPR wire again.
Please send some closer pictures of your wiring.

• Like 1

I found the problem, and there was a terribly important reason it wasn't working: I am an idiot. I'd soldered the entire second row to the Lynx II board offset by one pin. I re-soldered the lines to the right place and now it's working fine. Perhaps 4am is not the ideal time to start a precision soldering project. No amount of poking around with the multimeter could determine what a night's sleep could. :)

If you have some colored static on the screen and the sound is working, both (the LYNX and LCD mod) are working fine.
Is the screen flickering, please check CL2 again. If not check RES/TPR wire again.
Please send some closer pictures of your wiring.

• Like 1

I imagine it depends on your soldering experience. Are you comfortable soldering several thin wires to a set of pins close to each other and near heat-sensitive components? I probably had no business doing the mod to be honest, but I think I leveled up installing mine and am much more comfortable with the process. It's very much worth the effort. :)

• Like 1

I think my main problem would be my eyes, I'm long sighted.

I would be too afraid of soldering across adjacent solder points that are too close together, so I end up soldering pins together.

I have decent equipment, a good solder station with adjustable heat settings, and lots of different tips. I just don't want to ruin a lovely condition Lynx Mk1, many don't come in the condition mine is in.

One of those "third hand" magnifiers with alligator clips for holding components should help if vision is the only problem, you can refocus by moving the glass. The pins that you solder to are kind of close on the Lynx II, although I haven't seen a Lynx I. I attached a picture of the part that worried me the most; after doing it once I think I could do a better job if I tried again.

I think my main problem would be my eyes, I'm long sighted.

I would be too afraid of soldering across adjacent solder points that are too close together, so I end up soldering pins together.

I have decent equipment, a good solder station with adjustable heat settings, and lots of different tips. I just don't want to ruin a lovely condition Lynx Mk1, many don't come in the condition mine is in.

post-64805-0-93232800-1530079759_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It wasn't really, since it was my first time trying a console mod I was a bit worried about it. Ironically the part that really hung me up was the ribbon cable of the new LCD getting pinched by the battery holder, hopefully there's more room in the Lynx I for that! I attached a piece of plastic with electric tape next to the offending area to prevent damage the second time around.

Thanks for the pic. That doesn't look too difficult, to be honest.

For me, the most difficult part was replacing out the mosfet and zener since they are so small and in the case of the mosfet it is an SMD part. The rest was just time as I recapped it in the process of also doing the LCD mod.

• Like 1

I used a Chip Quik SMD removal kit for the mosfet, awesome stuff.

For me, the most difficult part was replacing out the mosfet and zener since they are so small and in the case of the mosfet it is an SMD part. The rest was just time as I recapped it in the process of also doing the LCD mod.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really considering this mod as a project after I get back from vacation, but the technical talk is kind of scary...

I have close to 0 experience in soldering (I've only done a CDi disc laser replacement just last week) and would have to purchase some soldering equipment for this, but it just seems awesome having a Lynx with this screen & VGA out. Luckily I do have 2 Lynxes laying around (as my brother also had one as a kid but has 0 interest in it any more), but I do feel a bit scared picking up this project.

Aside from a soldering iron and tin, what equipment would be required for this? How big are the chances I'd permanently destroy something? And worst case if this doesn't seem like a feasable project for me, are there locations where I can have it done instead?

The screen does not work well with Alpine Games "Hicolor mode" and transparencies., just lot of flickering. Was this already mentioned on this thread?

Yes, interlaced mode isn't working well because of the variable frame rate of the LYNX.

That was already mentioned here months ago.

I'm really considering this mod as a project after I get back from vacation, but the technical talk is kind of scary...

I have close to 0 experience in soldering (I've only done a CDi disc laser replacement just last week) and would have to purchase some soldering equipment for this, but it just seems awesome having a Lynx with this screen & VGA out. Luckily I do have 2 Lynxes laying around (as my brother also had one as a kid but has 0 interest in it any more), but I do feel a bit scared picking up this project.

Aside from a soldering iron and tin, what equipment would be required for this? How big are the chances I'd permanently destroy something? And worst case if this doesn't seem like a feasable project for me, are there locations where I can have it done instead?

The LYNX-II mod is more easy than LYNX-I or GAME GEAR.

You just need a good soldering iron/station with fine tip.

I also can do the installation for you, if you want.

• Like 2

The LYNX-II mod is more easy than LYNX-I or GAME GEAR.

You just need a good soldering iron/station with fine tip.

I also can do the installation for you, if you want.

Really tempting! And since you're located in Germany that will be pretty manageable when it comes to mail and such (better than overseas for sure :D). Expect a PM soon for some more info about it (mostly about time / cost estimates, as I'll be on a holiday soon). I'll have to do a quick test on my devices to see which is best to perform the mod on, though if I remember correctly both are in good working condition.

Finished the LCD/VGA upgrade on one of my Lynx II yesterday and the change is just Amazing!!
Not at all as difficult as I thought, actually the hardest part was getting the hole for the VGA connector to look good :) .

Added some pictures from the upgrade process.

A big Thanks to McWill for this super great modification.

New screen

post-61808-0-85299800-1531644265_thumb.jpg

VGA Connector

post-61808-0-26984600-1531644268_thumb.jpg

post-61808-0-63157800-1531644270_thumb.jpg

post-61808-0-99014500-1531644272_thumb.jpg

Only two more to go :)

post-61808-0-28880500-1531644275_thumb.jpg

Lynx with original Screen

post-61808-0-04210100-1531644278_thumb.jpg

Lynx with New screen

post-61808-0-76704000-1531644283_thumb.jpg

New vs. Old

post-61808-0-55843900-1531644289_thumb.jpg

VGA output

post-61808-0-75198100-1531644294_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, interlaced mode isn't working well because of the variable frame rate of the LYNX.

That was already mentioned here months ago.

Q: Is there a list of any other games that use variable frame rate or interlaced mode? I plan to keep one of Lynx untis with a stock screen to play these games. But I'd liek to know which games need the stock screen.

Thanks!

Chuck