IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

On 3/20/2019 at 5:27 AM, Greg2600 said:

For those with a VGA out mod, is there a way to hook that up to an old-school CRT? I tried a VGA to component converter, but the output was too high @ 480p. I've tried a VGA to component cable adapter, which didn't work. I think maybe the Retrotek VGACTV1 does it properly, but I don't feel like spending 75-80 dollars.

I know there are VGA to S-Video/Composite adapter cables, for use on laptops. However, I'm not sure if those are designed to receive an S-Video signal from the device? I don't think they down-convert at all.

71Lbi4HLJ-L._SX425_.jpg

I've also seen these things, which are powered, and may actually work....

38104_3.jpg

Any ideas?

I know this is an old post now, but did you consider using a CRT monitor?

On 9/26/2019 at 11:53 PM, mobiusstriptech said:

Well it turns out I am correct. There is a mistake on the 2019 Lynx PCB that prevents access to VGA mode. You have to sever the trace to remove ground from the menu pad and allow VGA mode to be accessed. While this lynx is still weird in other ways, the VGA and LCD modes work now.

Yesterday I did the same, cut the path leading to the capacitor on the left from the MENU point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, McCarseat said:

Sorting through all the posts...are the upgrade kits still available?

McWill kits can be bought from console5.com here in the US:

https://console5.com/store/kits/lcd-kits/mcwill-lcd-kits.html

• 2 months later...

Look at the link I provided on the post just up from your reply?

I just checked and Console5 still has Lynx 1 and 2 kits on hand. And, McWill recently lowered the price of the kits as well. They were originally $120 from console5 and are now $90. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wait are they cloning the Lynx LCD setup now too? Previously it was only the GameGear kit they were cloning and it was because of this that was  largely in part for the price drop on the actual McWill kits. Or at least that is what was explained to me by Console5 when I asked about the sudden price drop. (They are currently sold out of McWill kits for the Lynx and GG now BTW).

I suppose that everything you design in west will get a China version sooner or later.

In the old times they even cloned the bugs and texts in Finnish that were accidentally left behind. The MRI scanners I was invoved with got cloned within 3 years.

Hiring that brilliant Chinese scientist was not such a smart move...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fafadou said:

Could you share a link for ordering a LCD Mcwill screen for atari lynx model I, with vga output please ?

I'll found only ebay link, I want to be sure to have an official.

Your best bet is to try and contact McWill himself. However, I do not have an email contact for him and I believe he has disabled PMs to him here at AA. I't has been suggested that they are hard to find due to the virus issues currently impacting businesses all over right now.

Having said that I do have 2 of BennVenn's kits on hand for the Lynx II.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I installed a new screen to my Lynx I with a C104193-001 rev.B board. Check all the wiring and seems to be fine, but i got a static screen and you can here the game playing 

IMG_1599.jpg

(not my actual image, just an example)

Strangly enough i found a topic that had to do with the TPR bridge on the MCWill board and soldered the bridge. The screen turn on fine and seems to be working. But... the picture is upsidedown.... ?Does anybody got a clue what went wrong?

bdeb34aeefb95c615ebd30a2d6d9dfc4.jpg

Well most games you can change the screen by pressing opt1 and pause at the same time to flip them for left or right handed use. But by default I would think the games and the screen should come up in rightside up mode. So if it works but is upside down, that might mean you have to mount the screen upside down on the Lynx board so that it is always right side up when you first start it?

I've not installed a McWill into a Lynx I so I don't know the specifics.

I finally came up with an idea of how to install the VGA connector in my Lynx II without cutting the case and thought I'd share. The Brightness dial is vacant, and I realized it's just about as wide as a 6 pin SIL connector. I had to file the sides of the SIL connector a bit to get it to fit, not so much that it goes through the plastic but just a bit. It fits perfectly and looks pretty good! I need to work on making the SIL connectors directional, perhaps putting a bit of hot glue on the bottom of the female connector and a blob of something on top of the male connector will suffice. Some CAT5 with solid wire between the male plug and the VGA connector that I've had sitting around should provide a reasonably durable and flexible cable. I might add a velcro loop or similar to prevent it from being unplugged, as friction will be the only thing keeping them together.

sil-connector.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2