IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Wow, the Game Gear mod was nowhere as easy as the Lynx1 to pull-off. I finally gave up on the VGA out and scan-line mode and just reassembled the GG without those features. Perhaps one day when I work up more nerve I'll go back in and complete those features, but it works just fine without them. McWill has done it again, the GG is now light-years ahead of even my older recapped GG. I will buy any other screen he offers.

• Like 1

Fitting this mod was like the before and after of the Hubble telescope repair, it has gone from dim and blurry to blazingly clear. The instructions were a bit confusing (like "fit a wire, a second wire, then a second wire" to paraphrase) but after reading three times and making some guesses as to what McWill really meant finally led to success.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Please let me know what was confusing, so I can change the instructions. Perhaps that helps others. Thanks ;)

• Like 1

Please let me know what was confusing, so I can change the instructions. Perhaps that helps others. Thanks ;)

• "FPC" means nothing to most people. You might find out later in the instructions what it means, but you are now much earlier in the disassembly process.

• Using a blow-dryer our heat-shrink heater blower - lightly - might make removing the FPC easier, it worked for me because it softened the glue.

• "Now solder one wire to VCC..and one wire to GND." followed by "Solder a second wire to VCC" is confusing. We are on wire three(?) at this point. I was about to solder two wires to the same VCC contact on the Lynx pcb, but guessed that you meant the first VCC wire went to the LCD VCC. You don't explicitly mention doing the same for GND.

• Soldering the connection to ground and menu is dangerously close to the flexible harness. You mention that it can be disconnected, but not why you want to.

• The two-x ring washers need to be fairly small so as not to interfere with rubber power button placement.

• It is not clear where the washers and screws go on either the LCD or the Lynx.

• Numbering the CLK_A1, D0, etc would have made it less confusing to figure out what they connect to.

• When I was done the d-pad no longer made contact with the Lynx, because the board depth shifted a mm or so. This seems to be very dimensionally critical and I had to glue four more of the homemade ring washers to the d-pad buttons to make it work again. This doesn't seem right, but it worked.

• Leaving out the menu-button wire for non-external VGA option versions still leaves one with the scanline emulation as well as full mode, but also a "screen off" function that serves as a screen-saver of sorts.

I also made at least five serious dumb mistakes with the other Game Gear mod, but the device still worked fine once corrected. Having photos of the resistors and caps to remove would help locate them more easily, because the silk screen markings on the pcb are kind of crammed in with little squigglies that are supposed to point to the right components, but are hard to follow.

All said, you have done an excellent service to the community!

Edited by towmater
  • Like 2

Wow. I'd go as far as to say I feel a little emotional.

My Lynx II was up in the house loft and I hadn't played on it for years. I'm not sure what prompted me to get it out a few weeks back - probably my young son playing on his new Nintendo 2DS. It was a big reminder of two things...

1) games - particularly those simpler 'pick up and play' ones - really haven't got that much better over the intervening years

2) but LCD screens and backlighting have come light years. And those early days colour ones are pretty awful to be honest

I was actually struggling to play Toki as a combination of my now old eyesight and the bad contrast.

My Lynx has sentimental value given it was a present from my mum during hard times when I was young. I was wondering if anything could be done to sort the screen and make it useable again and a bit of searching brought me to the Atari forum. Incidentally I'm amazed and really pleased to see the Lynx has such a vibrant and passionate following amongst people today. There are even new games! Though trying to get hold of Zaku is another story entirely :)

Anyway... McWill's solution looked brilliant and anyone who has got one of his screens says how great it is so I thought I would give it a go.

I should firstly say Marco is a great guy and is always happy to answer any questions. The way he sells and communicates it also up there with any top eBayer you'll find. You get full tracking details of your package.

Yeah, the screen instructions could perhaps be slightly clearer but all you really need is the combination of what is supplied plus Daniele Tartaglia's video here

I also recommend a soldering iron with a pointed tip - not a flat head like a screwdriver. Failing that the amount Marco charges to do the work for you is very reasonable. Incidentally I am keeping my Lynx looking stock - I haven't bothered with the VGA out and so have left the contrast control in place.

If you haven't done this mod I cannot tell you what a jaw dropping difference it makes. The clarity and contrast is as good as my iPhone and it doesn't just improve the screen, games look completely different. You're actually seeing what the developer wanted you to see instead of the limitations of the LCD back in the early 1990s. It was actually quite nice removing the circuity for the original and the massive fluorescent bulb - every likely the batteries never lasted more than 5 minutes!

So... thank you very much Marco. I'm going to playing on this for hours now and am already looking to buy some new games in.

For everyone else words fail me. I can't recommend this enough - it's what the designers wanted the Lynx to be the first time round.

Dan

• Like 2

To all of you MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you all for your support and feedback.

Next year I'll also present a few other LCD mod kits and let you know availability.

Marco

Thank YOU for producing some awesome LCD screen mods for the Lynx and Game Gear!!! Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

• Like 2

I've done hundreds of mods over the years for many customers, and I understand English is not your first language, so I too had some difficulty following your instructions. That being said, I eventually understood what you were trying to explain in the installation instructions and managed to get it done. I've since shown the GG to many customers and many of them are excited to have me install this kit in their GG.

Don't get me wrong McWill, you are a god when it comes to modern LCD mods!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop by and let everyone know that Mcwill worked real hard and fixed my game gear that i earlier sent to him for a new screen.

The gg used to shut down after a few hours of gameplay.

Anyways he replaced some caps and maybe even the power supply. He even replaced my case with a better one for free.

You are great mcwill! Thanks alot for all your hard work and excellent customer service.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to give some more praise to McWill and his terrific work. I received my modded Lynx last weekend and it is even better than I had expected. I kept switching cartridges every other minute just to see what all the games look like on their new screen :-) I think this new LCD totally breathes new life into the Lynx and recommend it to anyone who still plays and loves the Lynx. Cheers to McWill and cheers to the Lynx!

• Like 3

To all of you MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you all for your support and feedback.

Next year I'll also present a few other LCD mod kits and let you know availability.

Marco

Hi McWill, what other LCD mod kits are you looking to make?

I am very interested in both the Game Gear and Lynx screens and will be in contact very soon :)

Awesome, ive done a couple Nomads with the composite screens, but a screen like these with digital inputs or RGB would be much nicer.

Will your Nomad kit support 50Hz as well as 60Hz?

Yes ;)

Do you have an online shop?

Coming soon. I haven't much time to finish it.

I would love to buy the TGE screen mod!

I have already modded my nomad with the existing composite mod (with a cheap reverse cam screen). It looks amazing and works perfectly! How would your mod for the Nomad differ McWill?

btw - after years of neglect, I love playing my Game Gear with your screen in it! :)

• Like 1

Coming soon ;)

I have already modded my nomad with the existing composite mod (with a cheap reverse cam screen). It looks amazing and works perfectly! How would your mod for the Nomad differ McWill?

It would be digital, not analog composite. So the quality would be better, like the GG.

btw - after years of neglect, I love playing my Game Gear with your screen in it! :)

Thanks

Yes mate i used something simular, but its not near as awesome as a digital version will be, and mine has issues with 50Hz.

These screens are like a dream come true really!!