IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Would love to have a mod for my Lynx. My display looks old and seems duller than what I remembered when I first got my Lynx almost 20 years ago.

Also I would like Game Gear if it can resolve one minor issue the analog RGB couldn't fix. The standard video output couldn't switch size between GG mode and SMS mode so GG had large black border around. The internal LCD driver handled the 2 different video size to display GG at full resolution and SMS scaled down to fit. This meant if you took the stock LCD out and plopped in a new LCD, you're stuck with GG screen about half the original size. If I could play both SMS and GG onto a brand new composite LCD (3" LCD almost never comes with anything better than composite anyway) and can scale resolution between GG and SMS mode, it would be wonderful.

My package from McWill has been marked as delivered by DHL but it has not been! anyone else had this problem?

Mine arrived okay but the tracking was a bit odd to follow, could only get it to show me the info in German. Package was actually deliverd to me by parcel force in the uk.

Yep, McWill PMed to explain that it has been delivered to a neighbour! Thank you McWill.

I didn't actually get a card through my door so I had no idea! I was so worried it had got lost!

I'm very much looking forward to opening up the package! I've ordered the pre-installed kit so I'm ready to rock n roll.

I also got a message from the post office that the parcel will be delayed because they sent it to the wrong zip region. On Tuesday it came to the correct office but I was already on a business call in Germany. Today I finally got home, rushed to pick it up. It was wel packed and I would love to try it out. But instead we have to spend the evening at my mother-in-laws birthday...

So close and still so far away.

• Like 3

Got mine and installed it last Sunday!

I reserved 2 hours for the installation, but it took a little longer (6 hours, actually :-D . But that comes from not being used to repairing Lynxes. Repaired a sticky button, too)

The result ist absolutely amazing! :) :) :) A long dream of mine has finally come true! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Only suggestion is that the backlight should be dimmable. For dark rooms etc. (not THAT dark room! ;) ) . Also because the new display is still a little viewing angle dependant.

Great job, McWill !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, but at present the LYNX-II mod is out of stock. I guess the LYNX-II mod is available in 1-2 weeks again.

Hi McWill, just sent you a PM - looking to put my name on a list for 1 when they come back into stock - Just watched Gadgetuk164s youtube install, it looks amazing. Must Have..... :)

My kit arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night. I didn't install the VGA port as my main reason for buying was for the new LCD, the original is poor and I had quite a few dead pixels on it.

A massive thank you to McWill for this brilliant mod, I have to say that the new screen is outstanding :) I couldn't take the grin off my face, its utterly brilliant and worth every penny.

It took me about two hours start to finish taking apart the Lynx, removing the old components and installing the new screen. I don't have a lot of experience desoldering/soldering but was confident enough to give it a try and just took my time so as not to make any mistakes.

Thank you again McWill :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I want to get the Lynx II mod for my wife in a couple of weeks. She is very good at soldering and would probably get this done quite well! We want the LCD screen mod and the VGA out mods.

..also, please PM us a cost (in U.S. Dollars, if you will) Do you take PayPal?

Edited by Papa