IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

McWill, the GG I posted about a few months back has been slowly deteriorating, and doesn't look fixable (at least not easily). So, I am transferring the LCD to another system (a 1 ASIC model this time).

While prepping the board I started wondering: is there any reason not to remove the big transformer (other than it can be tricky)? It would be so much more convenient to take +5V and GND from C68.

McWill, the GG I posted about a few months back has been slowly deteriorating, and doesn't look fixable (at least not easily). So, I am transferring the LCD to another system (a 1 ASIC model this time).

While prepping the board I started wondering: is there any reason not to remove the big transformer (other than it can be tricky)? It would be so much more convenient to take +5V and GND from C68.

You can remove the transformator, if you want. You also can use alternative solder points for VCC +5V and GND (for example at C68 on 1ASIC board). But check the alternative points with a multimeter before!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the confirmation, McWill.

I finished my installation, and in addition to using C68 for VCC and GND, I used alternate points near the ASIC for the other signal lines too. It makes the installation tidy, but some of the alternate points on the back side of the board are just vias--and therefore tricky to get a good connection to.

In any case, I'm happily playing again.

post-48493-0-45807800-1507640306.jpg

• Like 2

Hi McWill, just finally installed the Lynx II kit that I purchased from you right when you first produced them maybe a couple years ago and I have a white pixel that appears in the left lower quadrant of the screen, but is not always there. Any Ideas?

Rob

Hi McWill, just finally installed the Lynx II kit that I purchased from you right when you first produced them maybe a couple years ago and I have a white pixel that appears in the left lower quadrant of the screen, but is not always there. Any Ideas?

Rob

Hi Rob,

if the white pixel is always in the same game and not in other games, the SUZY IC may be faulty (then 2x2 pixel are white).

Is it in ALL games, the LCD could be faulty.

I had similar issues on 2 or 3 LYNX-II. I replaced the SUZY IC and all was fine. But this issue is not very often.

Regards,

Marco

Edited by McWill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi McWill,

I was wondering if you still have the Lynx LCD mods,

I have checked the dragonbox.de website but they do not have them on stock.

I'm not sure if they will eventually have stock ;-)

I want to replace my displays since the quality is so much better.

I have a Lynx system 1 and 2.

and my brother has a Lynx 2 only.

So i was wondering if you still have some LCD's in stock?

that would be in total

2 Lynx 2 systems

1 Lynx 1 system

thanks for your response.

Hi McWill,

I was wondering if you still have the Lynx LCD mods,

I have checked the dragonbox.de website but they do not have them on stock.

I'm not sure if they will eventually have stock ;-)

I want to replace my displays since the quality is so much better.

I have a Lynx system 1 and 2.

and my brother has a Lynx 2 only.

So i was wondering if you still have some LCD's in stock?

that would be in total

2 Lynx 2 systems

1 Lynx 1 system

thanks for your response.

Yes, they are still on stock. You got a PM ;-)

Edited by McWill

• 1 month later...

I'd like to purchase 1 or 2 boards from you if available.

Lynx 2

Fred Olivas

Carpinteria, CA (where the So Cal Fires are now. Cough!

For us in the US, it’s faster and cheaper shipping to get them from Console5 unless you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks from Germany.

https://console5.com/store/mcwill-lcd-upgrade-kit-for-atari-lynx-ii-later-version-2.html

I just want to thank McWill for the AMAZING work he did on my Atari Lynx II. I had seen many YouTube videos showing the upgrade, but you really don't realize how stunning it truly is until you see it in person. Wow! It's like a brand new machine.

I also want to say that he was a great guy to work with. He always responded to my messages very quickly, he answered all of my questions, and he was polite and courteous through the whole process. Best of all, when my Lynx came back from Germany it was extremely well packed for the long journey. I couldn't ask for a better experience. I've been happily playing my upgraded Lynx for days. I really can't put it down! Thanks again McWill!

• Like 3

I bought a screen for the Lynx 2 a couple years back and it is still not installed. I have a friend with some soldering skills who said he would do it, but he has not done it yet. So I think I should pay somebody to do it so I can actually use it. I also have a couple of broken Lynxes I would not mind getting looked at. If anybody can help me out send me a message.

It has been two weeks now with my "new" Lynx 2 and its upgraded screen. Just like many others before me said, it's Amazing.

I finally can see the bullets in those space shooters that always killed me, now I know whats killing me instead of... ????WhatThe...$& ;)

tested right all my 65 games, many I had to clean first to let them work again.

Strangely, one game died, I only get half flashing words, Insert Game. Otherwise I got 66 games.

I can only say to the Lynx lovers out there. Get the screen update, you won't regret it !

• Like 1

I have finally manage to installed the McWill screen on my Atari Lynx model 1.
but it seems that i'm missing a color (I think red).
the screen works just fine without any issues, except that i'm missing a color.
I have checked the connectors (Multimeter) but they all seems to be fine.
I also have been looking for the wire schemastics of the Lynx and the McWill screen for the colors.
but I was unable to find this.
can someone help me with this information?

I have finally manage to installed the McWill screen on my Atari Lynx model 1.

but it seems that i'm missing a color (I think red).

the screen works just fine without any issues, except that i'm missing a color.

I have checked the connectors (Multimeter) but they all seems to be fine.

I also have been looking for the wire schemastics of the Lynx and the McWill screen for the colors.

but I was unable to find this.

can someone help me with this information?

Please post some pictures of your wiring.

Perhaps you mixed up the wires D0-D3. Please check again.

• 3 weeks later...