ralphb

xdt99: New TI 99 cross-development tools available

I had never heard of this little unit before now.  After some quick skimming here http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/general.html

It seems hard to find a schematic of this thing.  From the pictures of the PCB it looks like it has 2 8K static rams which means it might be able to be expandable to 64K with a pair of 32K static rams.

If you are new to this low level computing arena here are some general thoughts:

You will need some kind of a loader.  The LOADER will put your binary program file that you build with the Assembler into RAM in a way that the TUTOT knows where it is and knows how to jump to the start of the program.

Maybe somebody has created a loader already OR it exists in the system ROMS and you need to learn how to start it.

It may be possible that BASIC can do that for you but you will need a loader.

A Brute force method could be to write a BASIC program and put the program data in DATA statements and POKE  the bytes/words into memory if the BASIC has POKE().

The electrical connection to the storage seems to be via cassette tape.

That could pose a real challenge if you had to encode your file as a compatible cassette file. Probably too tricky to consider now.

An alternative would be to load your program into a compatible rom chip, put in on a cartridge board and install it in the cartridge port.

This will mean you need to understand the binary layout of a ROM for this beast.  It also means you can properly emulate the ROM that the Tutor uses.

Hope that wasn't telling you what you already know.

There is one multi-cart for the Pyuuta I know of, but sadly no FinalGROM or Ubergrom.

This means that you probably need to use a programmer to flash your assembled program to an EEPROM on an adapter cartridge.  There are probably additional constraints, similar to the GPL header of TI 99, that you would need to include in your program.

Maybe someone else has any additional insights.

• Like 1

I also have some 8K and 16K cartridge boards for the Tutor that I made a few years ago, as well as one I made that should work as a 32K 3D cartridge board or even as a multicart (although I haven't tested that one yet, so anyone trying to use it will be working in guinea pig mode).

• Like 1

I know my version of Pitfall! was assembled for the Tutor and works fine, have a ROM cart with the game on it.

Did not have time to concentrate on the Tutor but have 2 of them and a pyuuta game console, so one day...