IGNORED

Carol vs. The World: The Official 2014 Winners!

DZ-Jay

Christmas Carol vs. The World!

Christmas Championship Extravaganza - 2014

With the closing of the year, so we close another season of the high-score championship. With a fantastic turn out and great participation throughout the month, we celebrate another successful and most enjoyable contest.

The other judges and I have reviewed all entries, and it is now with great pleasure that I announce the official winners of the 2014 Championship. As always, you can see the full list of participants, the winners, and their achievements in the Official Carol vs. The World! Championship leaderboard page.

Please visit the Prizes section of the contest page for more information on the awards.

And now, without further ado, I present to you, the winners in all their resplendent glory:

Grand Prize:

Top Ranking Elf: Fushek - 29,159

Fushek is not only the top ranking player in this year's competition, but he is also one of three players who have rolled over the color-coded score display twice! Plus, he also beat the previous Christmas Carol High Score World Record!

Top Rank Prize:

Top Master Elf: grips03 - 14,325

Top Ranger Elf: Darrin9999 - 4,904

Top Helper Elf: Emerson - 3,086

Top Novice Elf: stupus - 1,574

Runners Up:

Top Elite Master Elves:

• Oscar G. - 9,463
  • Scalpel - 7,079
  • bcprs1 - 6,442
  • pimpmaul69 - 5,702

Top Elite Ranger Elves:

• JasonlikesINTV - 4,036
  • Yeliz K. - 3,043

Top Elite Helper Elves:

• Wilson T. Oyama (a.k.a. oyamafamily) - 2,933
  • TrekMD - 2,635
  • Canonitis - 2,459
  • Iwantgames:) - 1,898

Top Elite Novice Elves:

• ChefPepper - 1,277
  • zapiy - 1,185
  • Gorfy - 1,158
  • RetroAl - 1,154
  • BalloonFighter - 1,105

Special Honors:

I've said many times that all scores in the championship are high scores, and this year we decided to recognize all those first-time Novice Elves who tried very hard but were still overshadowed by the fantastic scores of veterans and other skilled players.

New participants are the spark that lights up our community, and we want to prove to you and everybody that your scores are just as important. For this, we've created a new honorary rank with a special prize, just for you:

Top Elite Rookie Elves:

• JoeMusashi - 1,011
  • save2600 - 549
  • First Spear - 548
  • Milinea - 538
  • Greyfox - 504

Congratulations to all Rookie Elves, and welcome!

Achievements:

Along with the prizes, we've also awarded some extra-special virtual achievements to recognize some outstanding accomplishments this season. These are also posted in the official leaderboard for all the world to see.

Overachiever Extraordinaire:

The participant who earned the most achievements by far.

Oscar G. (34 achievements)

High Elf-Esteem:

The participant with the most marked score improvement throughout the championship.

Fushek (From 7,480 to 29,159 points)

Workaholic Elf:

The participant who played for the most consecutive days.

Darrin9999 (31 consecutive days--that's the entire month of December!)

Prolific Elf:

The participant who submitted the most individual entries.

pimpmaul69 (71 entries)

Higher Elf-Esteem:

The participant with the highest average score from his first entry to his last.

Fushek (From 7,480 to 29,159 points in 31 days)

Head Of The Class:

The participant who advanced through the most ranks throughout the championship.

pimpmaul69 (5 ranks)

Busy Bee:

The participant who played for the most days throughout the championship.

Darrin9999 (31 days--that's the entire month of December!)

Rookie Of The Year:

The first time participant with the highest average Novice Elf score.

zapiy (From 121 to 1,185 points in only 12 days)

Rookie Overachiever:

The first time participant who earned the most achievements as a Novice Elf.

ChefPepper (11 achievements)

On behalf of myself, the judges, and the AtariAge leadership, I would like to thank everyone who participated in the competition. I hope you all had as much fun and enjoyment as we did. Thank you not only for playing the Christmas Carol game, but also for sharing your progress and for maintaining the spirit of community and camaraderie that we all cherish. It is this spirit that turns a simple high-score contest into a magical experience year after year!

See you all next year!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Last Updated: 01/12/2014 - 05:45:00

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 7

I am very sorry, but I must make a correction. There were a handful of entries inadvertently mis-marked in the database. This caused them to be skipped when processing the rankings. After fixing the entries, there was one significant change to the final list of winners: player Emerson earned the Top Helper Elf prize, moving Wilson T. Oyama to the second spot in the Top Elite Helper Elves rank.

Other minor changes were:

• Oscar G. has a total of 34 achievements instead of 32--double wow!
  • Pimpmaul69 earned the special achievement of Story Teller, for the best short story written with the answers to the riddles.

Also, I will like to take this opportunity to congratulate the winners of The Birthday Challenge:

• Fushek
  • grips03
  • Oscar G.
  • Scalpel
  • bcprs1
  • pimpmaul69
  • Darrin9999
  • JasonlikesINTV
  • Yeliz K.
  • Emerson
  • Wilson T. Oyama
  • TrekMD
  • Canonitis

DZ ... great competition as always! Thanks again for taking the time and efforts to run this ... looking forward to working with you for the "special edition"!

And thanks to everyone who competed ... it's always fun to watch people improve, regress and improve again. Great group of competitors that I'm proud to have played against.

• Like 1

DZ ... great competition as always! Thanks again for taking the time and efforts to run this ... looking forward to working with you for the "special edition"!

And thanks to everyone who competed ... it's always fun to watch people improve, regress and improve again. Great group of competitors that I'm proud to have played against.

if i won i would have all the maps backwards. Makes for some challenging fun. :)

Another great contest and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you Dz-Jay.

Another fun year. Hopefully next year wee vil have a new game to play ;-)

Hi, I've been thinking about that too. :) :thumbsup:

Now, I'm also starting to consider calling Whispfollower and Fushek so we can play our custom games and post our scores. I don't know if it makes much sense to compare scores from different games but it would be certainly a fun thing to do. :-D

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 2

Another great contest and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you Dz-Jay.

Hi, I've been thinking about that too. :) :thumbsup:

Now, I'm also starting to consider calling Whispfollower and Fushek so we can play our custom games and post our scores. I don't know if it makes much sense to compare scores from different games but it would be certainly a fun thing to do. :-D

a video of each game showing each player "save christmas" or whatever it is you are saving on your custom cart. It would be cool to see the changes that were made. Having only had played this a month i think if i practice enough this year i may have a chance next year. (If fushek isnt playing of course!:lol:) my thought was all backwards levels but maybe it should be all bizzaro christmas carol and have carol and santa clause chasing the ghost too (which is the player):) Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

a video of each game showing each player "save christmas" or whatever it is you are saving on your custom cart. It would be cool to see the changes that were made. Having only had played this a month i think if i practice enough this year i may have a chance next year. (If fushek isnt playing of course! :lol:) my thought was all backwards levels but maybe it should be all bizzaro christmas carol and have carol and santa clause chasing the ghost too (which is the player) :)

Video of Wisp game is already available, I will post video of Liduario's game soon.

Edited by DZ-Jay