IGNORED

My new stupid project: Reviewing and collecting EVERY SMS GAME IN THE US.

Bloodcat

What happened to this? Why did you stop?

Well I wouldn't say I have totally stopped but I haven't been active either. I am casually still looking for games at prices I am willing to pay.

But the effort I put to my reviews wasn't really giving me a lot of response. Its like why bust my butt on these things when hardly anyone seemed to care and there are tons of games I want to play before even getting into all the newer retro titles I pick up from time to time. It didn't seem to resonate with anyone and it was making me want to put less and less time into it. So for a while its just on a hiatus. Is it done forever? Doubtful as I have at least one more review 70% completed for months and once I get more games to have closer to a complete or as complete as I am willing to pay for collection of US titles. (Like today I drove a good hour to a geek shop for the hell of it because the weather was fantastic and gas was cheaper in the region. I wasn't about to pay 12 bucks for Joe Montana Football, 30 for My Hero, or 55 for Spider Man. At least not at the moment. I was kind of close to getting Joe Montana but I decided to look around the mall and they had some of those TMNT Heroclix blind bags at a store called Newbury Comics so I instead got them and the first comic Rick and Morty trade paperback. They also had some boss ass diecast (I think) Alien/s vehicles that were around 30-50 each and if I am gonna burn 30 on a silly thing the Dropship or APC is MUCH cooler than My Hero.)

There are still deals to be had in retro gaming but the whales are pushing lots of stuff up. And its getting to the point where most of my gaming interests (Atari 8 bit micros, PC, SMS) are easier and cheaper to find online than driving all over creation.

Time available and my time management skills mean also easier to just buy online as money and my interests dictate.

• 2 years later...

Nearly three years since the last post, and I really hope you start this up again. Sure, the lack of response can be frustrating, but keep in mind that there are many lurkers out there. I read through nearly all of your reviews, loved them, but I didn't interact. Doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy them all. I'm sure many others have done this too. Please come back! I'll even help by sharing all your latest reviews on my Page Zap!

I'd really like to see you review Miracle Warriors. I just mentioned it last week:

https://www.facebook.com/zapclassicvideogaming/photos/a.705284282847705/2223685981007520/?type=3&theater

• Like 3

I thank you for the kind words! I have still been looking for complete games at reasonable prices and this.. seems to not happen. Even when I am willing to spend a bit more cash the game is missing the manual. ITS A PLASTIC CASE HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN RAAAARG. Needless to say I have irritated sellers at Retroworld Expo as I refuse to buy games without the manual.

Add in some of the above and its been a bit rough.

Though with that new Analogue SG out there some SMS fun sounds good, doubly so when the Game Gear dongle comes out because lol at playing on a real gg especially given how they love to die.

It's the problem with games of this time frame. I always thought of doing this collection as well. Games that we common that you could get for $10-20, Now ebay sets the price on a lot of these classics. Put common games for $75, and if they only have 1 on ebay, it's what it costs, depending on how much you really want it. Finding these games at flea/tag markets are getting harder and harder to find, and even harder with it's box or manuals.

The word is there was 114 US games released for the SMS. How far are you along ?

It's the problem with games of this time frame. I always thought of doing this collection as well. Games that we common that you could get for $10-20, Now ebay sets the price on a lot of these classics. Put common games for $75, and if they only have 1 on ebay, it's what it costs, depending on how much you really want it. Finding these games at flea/tag markets are getting harder and harder to find, and even harder with it's box or manuals.

The word is there was 114 US games released for the SMS. How far are you along ?

I'm like in the 70-80 range iirc. Though some games like Buster Douglas Boxing I merely have the Pal Region Heavyweight Champ version. Same exact game. I'm dumb but I'm not that dumb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 11:26 PM, Bloodcat said:

I thank you for the kind words! I have still been looking for complete games at reasonable prices and this.. seems to not happen. Even when I am willing to spend a bit more cash the game is missing the manual. ITS A PLASTIC CASE HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN RAAAARG. Needless to say I have irritated sellers at Retroworld Expo as I refuse to buy games without the manual.

Add in some of the above and its been a bit rough.

Though with that new Analogue SG out there some SMS fun sounds good, doubly so when the Game Gear dongle comes out because lol at playing on a real gg especially given how they love to die.

I hear ya. It's even worse for me, I won't even look at a game that's missing the hang tab. The fact that some pulled these off irks me beyond end.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bloodcat said:

I always remove those annoying little blighters.  I hiss at them.  

To me, it's destruction of classic material. I know that sounds like overkill, but to me it's an incomplete game if it's missing.

Yeah, I don't get the cut-off hang tab phenomenon. Bored kids, I guess? The way the hang tab is designed, it's not in a straight line across the top of the box. It's slightly recessed into the top edge. So it's just about impossible to get a clean cut across there, especially if done by a kid with scissors. It just becomes a mess with sharp, poky points.

On a positive note, I'd like to give a big hug to whoever designed and greenlit the plastic cases for the Master System! These games often look just about brand new over 30 years later thanks to those cases.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zap! said:

To me, it's destruction of classic material. I know that sounds like overkill, but to me it's an incomplete game if it's missing.

If it works for you cool.  Means slightly better prices for me right?  Right?

• Like 1