IGNORED

RGB modded ColecoVision Youtube

Yurkie

I'll do a "direct" capture video of the RGB output of the ColecoVision going to an XRGB Mini at 1080p (albeit only capturing on the device at 720p due to laziness) after it arrives. I'll try to show both composite and RGB, expecting of course the latter to look spectacular.

Here's the Adam outputting composite to the XRGB Mini as a point of comparison: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2015/01/03/video-of-the-coleco-adam-output-on-xrgb-mini-framemeister/

I'm confused. Why bother going through the work of modding the CV to output RGB and not component video, especially if you live in North America? Our TV's don't have SCART connectors. Since the CV video chip puts out component video signal already, isn't it easier to adapt that to TV levels?

Some of us in North America like SCART and use things like SCART to HDMI or the Framemeister to get the type of output we want on modern displays.

• Like 1

Another reason is that HDTV's frequently have problems with low-res signals over component video. That is what has pushed people like me into RGB SCART to upscaler to HDMI setups.

A more aesthetic reason is that having 5 rca jacks (7 with audio) carved into a classic console looks hideous! With SCART, it's just one jack on the system. If you want composite, S-Video, component or C-Sync RGB out of there, you can get any of them from one SCART cable.

Edited by Greg2600

Even component video has been getting phased out from most TVs being sold here in the US. Now it's all HDMI. Using an external upscaler like the XRGB Framemeister not only makes all your old consoles future proof, it scales the images up much better than any TV's internal scaler.

Since the CV video chip puts out component video signal already, isn't it easier to adapt that to TV levels?

It's also worth mentioning that getting useable component video out of the TMS9928 is a bit of a challenge. Doing a simple mod involving a few resistors works OK on a few displays but for the most part you'll get a bluish tint. Even if you adjust the picture to get rid of the bluish tint, you'll get dulled yellows.

I have to wonder if this new mod is based on the Vidiot board that was used in Baby Pac-Man and the like, is that the case Todd?

It's also worth mentioning that getting useable component video out of the TMS9928 is a bit of a challenge. Doing a simple mod involving a few resistors works OK on a few displays but for the most part you'll get a bluish tint. Even if you adjust the picture to get rid of the bluish tint, you'll get dulled yellows.

Is there some site where this mod is described?

I have one system for sale refurbished console with composite, RGB, intro skip BIOS and pause button and 2 controllers with ball knobsa nd straightened cords...power supply, av cord and 8 pin mini dini cable included $329 + shipping USA only.